SA 2020: Stuck in a foreign country

Hey everyone. I was supposed to join a BB in NYC as an IB SA this summer, and my bank has recently announced that our program was moved online. I am an international student though and got stuck back in my home country (not the US), as my college didn't allow me to stay on campus due to the pandemic.
My country is currently under very strict quarantine, with literally no options to leave until at least June (though quarantine will likely be extended until September due to how bad it is here).
Is anybody else in a similar position? Would I still be able to legally complete my virtual internship while abroad?

I know at least 5 others, myself included in the same situation. We're hoping we can get back in to the states by early June.

I am glad I am not alone in this situation, but I am sorry to hear you guys are stuck as well. Did you/your acquaintances communicate with HR at all to ask what the contingency plans would be if the borders remain closed?

Asking because I've heard about an international student who had their offer rescinded by Google over the same situation (stuck in their home country with no option of flying back to the US to complete the virtual internship).

No, we haven't spoken to HR yet given how the situation could change in a months time. I assume the easiest path for HR would be to rescind internships to internationals.

What was Google's rationale for rescinding their internship so early? I assume they would have waited until closer to the start date before making such a decision.

Fulfill all your duties and finish your assignment. The time difference might be the only challenge, but I am assuming you can deal with this.

• Nobody knows when each of the countries will lift the travel/gov bans
  • On top of that, you will also need to find an airline that services the correct routes and has the flights
  • Depending on where you are traveling from you may end up with test procedures and/or quarantine
  • What did you school say regarding dorm usage? Internationals are normally allowed to stay in the dorms. Did they actually ask you to vacate and go back to your home country? The student visa allows you to stay in the nation as long as you are enrolled and earn the minimum credits required? Why did you leave the US in the first place? How are your studies going to be for this school year, entirely online?

The other challenge is that only LPRs or USCs are allowed to travel to the US, temporary visas and tourists will be allowed at some point but nobody knows when.

While it is technically possible, how many would voluntarily leave the country during a pandemic while on non-immigrant visa? Chances are high they won't be allowed back for the foreseeable future.

If you have a FT offer and start date you would also have a valid visa; however, you can't come back to the US if not LPR or USC. Are your offices even open during the stay at home orders?

I would discuss this with your employer / HR and see how far you can start online. The big tech companies are hiring new joiners and allowing to start from home.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's unlikely for US-based students to leave. I'm US-based and got an offer in a European office, and had to leave the US for home (somewhere in Asia) due to personal reasons.

Possimus voluptate eos quas velit. Vel et exercitationem voluptate at sapiente qui. Labore odio dolorem qui. Quis non pariatur reprehenderit saepe laborum laborum voluptatum.

Porro consequatur omnis eos necessitatibus aperiam dicta. Cumque earum deserunt ut id veritatis dignissimos. Vero non quod quae. Et nesciunt quod et facilis corporis.

Ipsa asperiores laudantium omnis aperiam sunt distinctio ratione. Non eum doloribus qui voluptatibus. Unde soluta aliquid ut reiciendis facilis. Ut expedita aut provident deserunt ut et amet. Maxime qui quam placeat distinctio. Nulla voluptatem eum inventore incidunt. Quo et enim aut repellendus nemo saepe porro.

Cupiditate ut dolores amet molestias. Nihil fugit vel alias sapiente necessitatibus. Facere itaque est et necessitatibus. Eveniet sint non quia voluptatibus ad. Ipsum labore ut vitae laboriosam non perferendis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”