SA 2021 without 2020 internship

Prospect in IB - Gen

I was going through the recuriting process for a couples places and was looking good to land something this summer. I am now afraid that these processes will be halted since they weren't that structured to begin with and with summer fast approaching could be left empty in summer 2020.

Do you think banks will be understanding in 2021 if a kid lost placement for a 2020 internship due to corona? I still have some time and leads and am hopeful, but the clock is ticking.

Comments (27)

Most Helpful
  • Prospect in 
Mar 24, 2020

I wouldn't worry about it I think a lot of people will be in your situation, just recruit for 2021 as usual

Mar 24, 2020

Also a bit concerned. I was talking to four firms and now three of them have gone silent.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 24, 2020

Similar situation. I am hoping that as we settle into WFH this week they will reconnect and provide an update. Honestly they probably are all hopefuly still planning on interns, it probably just isnt on the top of their priority list ATM.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 24, 2020

Same. I'm planning working for a very small advisory firm, and there was no formal application process, just got it through school alumni/networking. Kinda scared to reach out because I'm scared of pissing him off as he's probably losing lots of money bc of corona, but I also would like some updated info. Do you think it's better to just reach out in a couple months?

• Intern in IB - Gen
Mar 24, 2020

you will be absolutely fine, at this point focus on 2021, but reach out occasionally to local shops for 2020 opportunities

Mar 24, 2020

even from a non-target?

Array

• Prospect in Other
Mar 25, 2020

I'm in the same boat. Was closing in on an M&A opportunity at a firm that happens to be getting hit pretty hard right now so I'm not sure what to think. Definitely not great timing.

• Prospect in Other
Mar 25, 2020

boutique m&a?

• Prospect in Other
Mar 25, 2020

yea

Mar 25, 2020

Same boat. Places I was interviewing at froze their process. You're not alone.

• Prospect in Other
Mar 25, 2020

Do you think boutiques would cancel internships this summer?

Mar 25, 2020

Heard from an analyst at Top boutique you won't stay competitive if you don't have something lined up for the summer. It doesn't have to be banking but at least something in finance

• Intern in IB - Gen
Mar 25, 2020

That's dumb af because we're going through an unprecedented time right now with the virus

Mar 25, 2020

It was before the virus tho. Should've said.

Mar 25, 2020

was this before or after covid-19?

Mar 25, 2020

Before

• Prospect in Other
Mar 25, 2020

delete

Mar 25, 2020

It really depends. Like PJT on their career page asked you to put that info on your resume for application.

Apr 2, 2020

anybody have interviews/offers at a smaller internship at a boutique, small PE, small HF go dark?

Array

Apr 2, 2020

Yep I had five places say they were freezing recruitment until the situation clears up a bit. One place I had a verbal offer from hasn't gotten back to me yet with confirmation.

Apr 2, 2020

If you guys are struggling to find internships, it might be worth it to look into remote internships. I was able to do an internship this last semester with an independent advisory firm completely online - I worked on live deals, built pitch decks, got some experience working with financials... There are some great alternatives out there if you're out of options

Apr 2, 2020
Comment
  • Prospect in IB - Gen
Apr 2, 2020