Stay in banking or take over my dad's $700K EBITDA company

My dad is an entrepreneur and is now tired of running his company.

I’m a first year IB Analyst and from what I’ve seen, I am not impressed with the career trajectory, overall wealth generation and job satisfaction of those above me (23-30 yrs old) that stay in IB. was a shock to me that some late 20 year olds in banking still live with roommates.

The company generates around $3.5MM rev and 700K EBITDA per year, and would be theoretically mine. Obviously he’d be operating heavily until I got a grasp and taking distributions annually to live but I would be making all strategic decisions. This is not a sexy company by any means, and would be classified under consumer/retail and possibly industrial services.

Despite this, I have a true passion for investing and the path I am now will align me well to join a distressed HF or distressed debt shop which has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Safe to say I’m in a bit of a pickle.

Maybe some older folks could chime in and speak some wisdom?

What are your opinions here?

This is real and I’m actually considering the option.

DISCLAIMER: I do not for one second take for granted the opportunity to be in IB and the salary you make as a college graduate. I understand I am in a privileged place.

Also. Selling the company is a non option in my opinion it would be stupid to sell a company with so much potential for organic growth.

apologize for the rant and do appreciate the life advice

@I3DCashStaffer clearly has never built his own business before. Growing a company from scratch to $700K EBITDA without access to a lot of outside capital is hard as hell. OP, props to your Dad for building something that can provide for him and his employees.

Now the question is about what you should do. If you really want to pursue distressed debt or special situations investing you should do that. No sense in taking over the family business if all it will cause is resentment. You're young and clearly have your own interests. See if your Dad can hold onto the business for a few more years while you pursue your career. It's nice to have the business there in case your interests change. If you still love investing after a few years, he can always try to sell it or hire a GM to take a step back.

Thank you for the legitimate response and I do appreciate your opinion. I3D is clearly 17 years old.

Yeah, my thought was there’s only one time in my life I can be an IB Analyst and try to break into special situations investing as you had mentioned.

Fortunately or unfortunately there are only 3-4 managers and none of them want to take over the company. BTW - when I say taking it over I won’t actually “own” the company, I will just be implementing all the changes and Have full autonomy over business and strategy and implementing new growth initiatives. So yes, theoretically I’d be giving orders.

Also, the majority of employees are uneducated factory workers (my dad pays these people well and even hires them out of prison to give them a second chance) and they have 0 input on business day 2 day.

1) if it is more lucrative it is also less certain and going to involve a whole lot of misery and pointless work.

2) income through entrepreneurship > W2 income

3) you can run through endless goodies through a company.

4) you say yourself you can grow the business. Grow it, take dividends and income and eventually sell it if you want.

Ask yourself if you want an extra couple hundred K gross income to work for a bank or firm that can can you, give you shit for taking time off, make you do bulkshit for the sake of it, etc.

100% take the business.

20% ebitda margin is nice. do your father proud. with your IB experience you can make the business into something he could never.

the richest people are not corporate types usually, they run 'non-sexy' small businesses and distribute every year. this is not a question OP. you are very fortunate.

A few friends of mine are in a similar position. I would take everything (advice wise) with a grain of salt. Everyone's situation is different.

That being said, would you be up to the task? Do you have an understanding of the day to day functions of the business? Will your family help you as needed with the business?

I would sit down with them and talk to the family about it more.

No pain no game.

Being an entrepreneur and sticking with the IB -> buyside path are just totally different things. My father is an entrepreneur and as a result I’ve seen how backbreaking the work is; on balance I’ve opted for finance as it’s less volatile and, while gruelling, not gruelling in the same ‘risky’ way. Naturally, my dad would hate doing what I do. It’s a very personal decision and I don’t think it should only come down to which avenue is more potentially lucrative - your biz could go bust, your fund could be regulated out of existence (or also go bust...) - you can’t predict everything.

Another point I’d note is that the reason I haven’t gone my own way is to date I have not been passionate about a business idea, and in my view running a successful business requires a level of commitment that’s not needed in most other places.

I think before you decide to take over the business (what I would obviously lean toward), I would ask these questions:

Control

Is your dad REALLY ready to step away or is he going to resist change if/when you step in and want to make a change he disagrees with? How do you know this? Will he actually give you full operating control legally?

Ownership

If you are going to make this business your career and be acting CEO for the foreseeable future, what is the path to ownership (important to hammer this out up front and get a contract drafted, even if it is family to prevent any resentment or misunderstanding later). Would your dad ever want to sell? who controls this decision and what if everyone is not on board?

Pay and Expenses

Similar to the idea on #2 above, how are you going to run the business? Will most of the funds be paid out in distributions or salary? How will that be decided and over what time frame does that change?

Growth

Do you see ways in which you can legitimately grow the business if you worked on it full time? To what size?

...those are just some of the topics I'd want to make sure I hammered out well before making a decision one way or another. Some of them are tough to answer but I think they are important questions and I think having the tough conversations up front with dad will be something you are happy about later on.

Good luck! Patrick

Hey man,

A few notes, that may be helpful,

Many people drop out of IB/PE to start search funds and would theoretically be looking for this kind of business. You already have it, id highly consider this.

Charles Koch took over his dad's business that was making about 35M topline and a few M in EBITDA. Koch industries is now worth over 100BN.

The industry may be unsexy, but the cashflows could allow you to use your IB/Investing knowledge to scale into something big enough to build a legacy.

I might be biased because I quit PE to become an entrepreneur, but yeah, id def go the business route.

Staying in IB to know how to run M&A at a company this size (or any size imo) is a colossal mistake. Industry depth, the type of which you can only get by being in the game is way more valuable deal execution knowledge when deciding who/when/how to acquire.

If the business still has real growth potential, I'd take it. Your dad's probably not going to cede full control to you right away but you can figure all that out later after you prove yourself.

Officia autem placeat quo eum accusantium. Quidem quisquam aut quidem sequi repellat et quod qui. Nihil est sequi natus at et dolore nulla.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”