T15 Admissions in 2020?

I've seen a lot of topics posted here, and on other forums, related to the impact of recent events / Covid19 pandemic for incoming students at top business schools, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on those who might apply in the next year. Is this a great time to apply, given people's uncertainty about the economy (people sticking to jobs if they have some security), or will there be an influx of applicants with higher unemployment? T15 seems like the right group of schools to think about for this discussion since I know a lot of people believe M7 admissions will always be hyper competitive.

Below 600. And before you ask, not a URM. You can guess my ancestry from my username.

I networked my ass off with the admissions officers though. I attended multiple events they had in NYC. Visited the schools. They knew my face and name.

Of course you can come across as over-eager and put them off, but I think I found the right balance.

Most Helpful

It's funny, Tuck is like a darkhorse MBA business schools">M7 equivalent school in my mind. I sometimes think I'd go Tuck over a Kellogg or Booth just based on what I hear about the great culture and alumni community.

To answer your question, geography and enjoying my job have become higher priorities for me than long-term financial upside and focusing exclusively on PE/VC/Consulting/insert conventional high income potential career. In my opinion, that's where you get the most mileage from MBA business schools">M7 and probably actually need the pedigree to have a reasonable shot. The simple reality is post-MBA / partner track buyside roles are few and far between; I know myself well enough to know even if I went to Wharton or Harvard it's unlikely I'm motivated enough to compete with the top 10% of candidates gunning for the most coveted jobs - so do I really need the extra pedigree? Maybe, maybe not. After working at a BB in NYC I've also realized I'd much rather live in a place like Dallas or Charlotte, even if I get paid slightly less. The cost of living is so much better and I've found people seem to enjoy their jobs more outside of SF or NYC (I knew a lot of Houston O&G guys in banking who had much better work life balance, worked for happier MDs, etc.).

Edit: Obviously people from M7's have no issues getting jobs anywhere in the country, I've just found some parts of the country have stronger alumni communities from places like Duke or McCombs.

It's not entirely clear to me if you're asking regarding the class entering in 2020 or 2021. Here's my thoughts on both:

2020: A fantastic time to apply. School are very worried that internationals will not be able to get visas and a significant portion of their admitted class will not be able to show up. Another segment has not been able to take tests, although that issue is easing. I believe that people are getting into programs that they would not have gotten into before corona and will not be able to get into next year. My $.02 after following this very closely and talking to admissions directors.

2021: The outlook is cloudier. However I think there will be a lot more people thinking that b-school is a great place to ride out a recession while improving their skills and preparing for the next economic expansion. That's been the pattern whenever there has been an economic downturn. Whether this phenomenon will hit R1 or R2 or wait until the following cycle is hard to tell, but I think it's going to be R1 or R2 of the 2020-21 application cycle.

For more on COVID and MBA admissions, please see:

How Will COVID-19 Impact Your Admissions Journey: 5 MBA Admissions Experts Speak

How Will COVID-19 Impact Your Admissions Journey, A Recorded Q&A

MBA Deadline Updates: How Will COVID-19 Affect the MBA Application Process?

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

How about deferred admissions? Is it tougher now compared to before covid-19? Asking for current college seniors looking to apply in the coming weeks

I don't think COVID is having nearly the impact on the deferred admission programs as it is having on the regular admission, especially for the class entering in 2020. The school's motivation for the deferred admission program is to admit the "stars," the ones they are confident will do great things between college and business school, shine in b-school, and achieve great things as alumni. No one expects the restrictions to be in place in 2-4 years.

If schools see some stars that they would like to admit now, they may talk to some deferred admits about starting in 2020, but that's me speculating. I haven't heard anything from anyone on that score.

Linda

I meant both, apologies I wasn't a little more clear. Thanks for the thoughtful response as well.

Sounds like you're in great shape if you're ready to apply now for rolling / late round admissions, and you might see some benefit applying R1 in the fall for 2021 but that's somewhat TBD.

Using Kellogg as an example, do you think schools that are waiving test scores will put significantly more weight on other parts of the application? Will GPA, undergraduate program, work experience, etc. be scrutinized more so than usual?

I took the online GMAT but did worse than I expected (700 w 50 from Quant, 34 from Verbal and 8 from IR). Do you think I should use my score for the deferred admissions or just not report it to schools like Kellogg who admit without the GMAT currently?

Definitely get further input from Linda if she sees this. I would say anything that starts with a 7 is worth reporting, but your split might be concerning. Low verbal is especially surprising given most of the challenge with the online GMAT is the lack of scratch paper on quant.

My prediction is that average GMAT score goes down across the MBA business schools">M7 except at H and S who finished most of their admissions before the crisis.

it is mostly because english is not my first language (also the construction next to my building affected my verbal performance). But I also have a strong GPA (3.88 from a prestigious engineering school in the US). So idk if i can get into any deferred programs with these stats

Aspernatur voluptatum assumenda ipsa. Qui alias eum totam sit quia asperiores. Libero velit iste architecto aut suscipit. Ratione eos consequatur odio blanditiis. Sapiente recusandae et et iure.

Et non aut similique dolores molestiae aut. Voluptatem cum est qui repellendus eligendi adipisci voluptatum. Natus similique nihil rerum blanditiis et aut. Laboriosam nobis ullam quia. Laborum repellendus totam ipsam. Minus et modi asperiores.

Accusantium rem consequuntur voluptatem possimus enim sequi. Eos vitae vitae ut quibusdam et. Accusamus rerum quia eligendi veritatis doloribus velit. Reiciendis qui laborum esse molestiae expedita. Dignissimos voluptate consequatur neque aut molestiae magni explicabo. Officiis debitis necessitatibus fugiat quos. Excepturi deserunt voluptates libero. Error occaecati soluta labore tempore at veniam voluptatem.

Sed sapiente totam eligendi aut molestiae voluptatem repudiandae. Perferendis corrupti rerum aspernatur necessitatibus vitae. Id reiciendis officiis et veniam. Quo nesciunt voluptatem distinctio et error adipisci optio.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”