Too Early To Apply to GS SA 2019 as Incoming Freshman?

I've been lurking for a little while and I'm new to posting; I may be asking a stupid question, so please just MS me if I am -- although an explanation of why would be greatly appreciated.

I just wanted to check before I did anything stupid. I'm an incoming freshman at NYU Stern and was wondering if I can apply for the GS SA 2019 program -- obviously the absence of college experience and classes makes me a weak candidate even given that I'm far younger than the average SA, but I was hoping that high school stats (high GPA, 36, high-level leadership (in charge of around 3500 people) in a business extracurricular) might make a miracle possible, given that I'd have a year under my belt if I got accepted.

But obviously all of the above is obviously super unlikely, and GS probably doesn't give a rat's ass about my HS stats, but I wasn't sure so I wanted to ask. I was also thinking more about whether GS tracks applicants' interest and while that also seems unlikely, I figured it may be worth a shot if they do.

I'm just trying to do whatever I can to get a head start and some experience, both for "career advancement" but also because I just really enjoy this stuff and don't want to wait (I'm unfortunately a kind of impatient person). I'm looking around for other internship opportunities and I've been reading all the finance related texts and WSJ I can as well as the shareholder letters, 10K and other forms of companies that seem interesting and useful to learn about. The SA programs seem very competitive and helpful, and I'm worried that I'm still behind the curve if I don't get one going into sophomore year, but at the same time I don't want to apply if it could somehow negatively impact me later.

Essentially, should I apply to the GS SA 2019 program?
Basically if any of you more experienced users have any perspective or advice or criticism to give about this situation, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it! It makes sense, I suppose I was just too excited and wanted to jump the gun. Do you have any advice as to how I can get an internship soon, and what kinds of internships I should be looking for/any other advice on how to best prepare myself for my career?

Makes sense, thanks! Any chance you could share some tips about the best way to network, and when/how to start? I've cold emailed and LinkedIn InMailed some former alumns and stuff, but I have essentially no idea what I'm doing so any advice would be a great help!

Best Response

I would definitely primarily spend more time on WSO, you can just type the phrase "informational interview" into the search bar and I guarantee you'll be able to find everything you need to know regarding networking and informationals. Other than that, your university has a very strong presence on the street, so make LinkedIn your friend. You're young and they know that so don't feel like you need to come across as necessarily well versed, just that you have a clear and deliberate path that you foresee yourself on. Your best bet is to just be a genuine, personable guy that they'll remember and would be willing to go to bat for. Ask questions, really listen to the responses, and don't be afraid to ask them who should I be speaking with next? This is a network intensive industry and everyone you'll speak with knows it. Best of luck and like I said have fun, New York is incredible.

I see -- would that mean I apply exclusively with freshman year information? It seems like a lot of my resume-building would have to occur during freshman year to secure that internship. Is there something I'm missing here or do all freshman finance majors just look the same on paper? And thanks so much for your reply!

Yeah - you want to get some finance stuff on your resume during your first year so that you will have a track record on your resume. That being said many of the sophomore BB programs are for diversity candidates (but some are open to all) and with how application processes are going now you may be applying to those in the spring of 2019 (for summer 2020 internships). That being said, for all other finance internships like PWM offices and Corporate Finance roles that many people puruse during their sophomore summer - they will recruit during Fall / Winter of Sophomore Year for a Sophomore summer internship.

Hope that helps.

Distinctio porro minus ut non neque fugit. Fugit ipsam sint in error doloribus quo ad.

Repellat aliquid quis voluptatum. Dolor dolorem neque sapiente rem non. Magnam ipsam qui doloribus rerum ullam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”