Work for BlackRock for $400/week or small company for $600/week?

Through my school, I got offered a 6 month internship with BlackRock in their Wilmington, Delaware office. The job title is "Data Services and Pricing". They only pay $400/week (possible overtime, but not that much). Also, I heard I don't learn as much there as a I do at some of these smaller companies, For instance, I could work for a small business Asset Management company for $600/week. But, having BlackRock's name on my resume is more prestigious. What do you guys suggest? BlackRock or a smaller firm, which I feel like I would learn more from (not to mention be paid more). I'm currently a college sophomore.

Are you serious???You will take just $200 less per month,but you will probably gain more experience which will help you land a much better full-time offer.I generally believe that money when you are still gaining experience is irrelevant. Btw,what is more important than the firm you work for is the specific positions.So I would base my choice on which position is closer to what I want to do in the future.

Good point rmahal. And I would definitely learn, including software like Aladdin and Bloomberg. BLK also said that I could work on other projects that seem interesting to me (that aren't in my job description). I think the only discrepancy is the money. I mean, I was shocked when BLK only offered $400/week, and I am trying to pay for college. I'll see what others have to say.

Hmmm... co-op? theres alot of good jobs that pop up in B round, dont underestimate. Your obviously interested in investments, weigh the risk vs possible reward here. advice, talk to people who have been through the program already if you can find them, or just someone who has done all three co-ops. if you dont go to drexel then that may not make sense to you...just disregard. PM me for more info.

almost_there:
Hmmm... co-op? theres alot of good jobs that pop up in B round, dont underestimate. Your obviously interested in investments, weigh the risk vs possible reward here. advice, talk to people who have been through the program already if you can find them, or just someone who has done all three co-ops. if you dont go to drexel then that may not make sense to you...just disregard. PM me for more info.

Yes, I do go to Drexel. Are there really good jobs in B round? What companies, specifically for finance?

BuytheNumbers:
Through my school, I got offered a 6 month internship with BlackRock in their Wilmington, Delaware office. The job title is "Data Services and Pricing". They only pay $400/week (possible overtime, but not that much). Also, I heard I don't learn as much there as a I do at some of these smaller companies, For instance, I could work for a small business asset management company for $600/week. But, having BlackRock's name on my resume is more prestigious. What do you guys suggest? BlackRock or a smaller firm, which I feel like I would learn more from (not to mention be paid more). I'm currently a college sophomore.

Work at AIGFP and you get paid $400 a day

Best Response

Job Description for $600/week AM firm:

• Participate in stock selection process by assisting investment team in fundamental analysis • Participate in/take notes during company/analyst/strategist meetings • Set up/assist in preparation of mid-quarter management conference calls • Create "Earnings Season" revenue, EPS expectations spreadsheet • Compile inventory of sell-side analyst earnings models • Speak with sell-side analysts about earnings expectations/drivers • Compile weekly investment team notes • Build country-specific economic key indicators spreadsheets using Factset’s Economic Analysis 2 • Update portfolio models • Scan and file company meeting notes • Listen to/take notes on company quarterly earnings conference calls • Update Stock Watch List • Run fundamental computer screens • Develop valuation spreadsheets • Compile and distribute monthly sector performance reports to portfolio managers/analysts • Make changes to trading system model portfolio Skills Required:

Haven't decided yet, but either investment banking (preferable underwriting, putting deals together and then pitching them to clients, preferably no sales and trading). Or, private equity with specificity to clean tech. companies or financials, or working with distressed companies/LBOs.

definitely go with the smaller asset management firm -- the name of blackrock doesnt make it any less a back office job, this smaller asset management firm will actually let you get your hands dirty and also hopefully give you some work experience too during the school year to build upon more before you possibly leverage it to a bigger shop for your junior year. this would be a great sophomore year internship

Smaller am firm. Blackrock BO experience will be garbage rel: to other opportunity..... I'm from Philly too.

Avoid DE like its the plague

I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold. I'll be fine once I get it

Voluptatem dolores iusto omnis quis molestiae pariatur ut eum. Nobis voluptatem rem tempora asperiores est quos. Illum doloribus quod et eos tempore. Sint doloremque dolores enim perspiciatis. Saepe molestiae omnis sint sint qui sit. Aspernatur soluta atque natus molestiae quaerat quam. Architecto dolor quae ducimus velit ut nostrum optio.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”