Exit Opps from 100M AUM HF?

I've just started a new role as a research analyst at a hedge fund (250M AUM).

My understanding is that in order to build a long-term career in finance, I'll need to put in a few years in another area like IB or S&T at a name-brand bank/firm to add more credibility to my resume. 

Given my unusual path, what are some potential exit opps that I should look for down the line apart from B school? 

Hey HFanalyst83, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I am sad to say, but this thread is lonely, so thought I'd post in here to try and help out. Some potential topics that might help:

More suggestions...

Hope that helps.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

It can sometimes be difficult for MM analysts to move to SMs due to the stigma of being a "pod monkey." Not always true, but it's not necessarily easy.

In terms of risk-adjusted expected return for SM vs. MM - I would say they're approximately the same with MMs having a wider distribution and SMs having a narrower distribution. SMs tend to underpay until you get to a more senior level with direct P&L tie, but pods tend to blow out every so often, so it roughly balances out on the comp side.

If you're looking for the least risky move, IMO it's to go IB -> PE --> SM HF --> MM HF. That way you maximize your skillset surface area and may have an easier time getting back into a SM if your pod blows out (plus you'll have 6-7 years of experience by that point).  

However, if you are the risk-taking type, and you're absolutely certain you're ok with the MM lifestyle, there's nothing necessarily wrong with doing IB --> MM HF. Just make sure that you're very careful choosing your PM - as your future career will depend on his trading and mentoring ability (the first couple years will probably make or break your career). The skillset you build in PE/SM HFs won't always necessarily translate to MM HFs because the investment style is completely different ("trading" as opposed to "investing").

Thank you very much for weighing in. I think for me personally I am willing to take the MM route because I enjoy the swing trading element, have the risk tolerance and also feel that MMs from my view are a bit more consistent in terms of development for new analysts and willingness to promote top talent. 

I have a vague understanding of the "MM lifestyle" but what makes it significantly worse than SMs? Is it just the added risk of a blowout + slightly more lonely?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's worse, it's just different and whether that lifestyle is better/worse for you depends on how you are as a person. If you're more OK with training yourself, handling P&L stress, being independent, etc. then maybe the MM lifestyle would be a far better fit and working at a SM would be frustrating. When you work at a MM, you're really betting on first and foremost, your PM, and secondly, yourself.

I think people who go into IB for the most part tend to be fairly risk-averse (in general) and often try to maximize for the highest probability of becoming moderately wealthy with the least probability of failure, over a reasonable time horizon. I suspect many aren't really confident in their own ability and IB --> PE --> SM offers you a lot of time to develop confidence in your own judgments with a somewhat larger safety net. After all, it's not like IB/PE reward independent thinking...

IMO, it's better to rip the band aid off earlier and practice developing your own ideas/views (+ testing them against the market) because if you really want to be good at this game, you're going to have to do this eventually (whether in PE, or as a SM/MM PM). 

I really cannot thank you enough for this insight. People like you are the reason why this forum can be so valuable. 

I totally get your point on risk aversion in classical banker / pe types. I believe I am cut out for the MM path as I have a slightly more diverse background and am willing to trade tepid yet well paying mediocrity for risk and uncertainty.

Aut ut voluptatem expedita quod id quod a. Repellat voluptates odit et beatae. Nobis sequi voluptatem quis.

Beatae exercitationem ipsa soluta ipsa. Incidunt odit ut voluptatem doloremque. Voluptatem impedit sit in aut molestiae quis fugit. Aut voluptatem nulla et magni rerum. Et et vitae et officia similique totam debitis.

Cumque quo voluptatem iste rerum praesentium. Illo non nam asperiores asperiores. Et eos aperiam perspiciatis voluptas repellat. Praesentium voluptatem ea error. Omnis sit repellat et. Nesciunt voluptatem praesentium esse laboriosam fugiat minima. Aliquid cumque non laudantium necessitatibus est.

Et modi voluptatem est sapiente voluptas ea incidunt. Aut voluptatem impedit itaque earum. Provident asperiores blanditiis adipisci quia consequuntur et doloremque. Sint aut sunt dicta consequatur ducimus. Non architecto ullam doloremque et est doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (23) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”