1st Year FLDP @ F100 wants to pursue IB

Hello All

Background: I graduated from a non-target in 2016 (3.4 GPA, club leaderships, 3 non-relevant financial analyst internships) and did 1 year of FP&A at a small manufacturing firm. I eventually networked my way into a top F100 FLDP program last year for class of 2017-2019. I am currently finishing up my second rotation in FP&A (previous rotation in Audit) and I am set to graduate from the program in August 2019.

I honestly hate Corporate Finance and want to move to IB. I initially transferred from a local firm to F100 only because the brand name and salary (~+25K) was too good to pass and as a non-target, I thought, the brand would look amazing on my resume. I recently spoke with a few of my friends who went to semi-targets and learned about banking. I learned more about banking by reaching out to random analyst at BBs and MMs as well to those too who have transitioned from IB to PE. I am highly interested and was wondering if any of you can guide me on how I can transition from my current state to IB either via quitting the program or after finishing the program.

I am working 45-50 hrs per week but put in 70-75 during month/quarter end. I have 2 side hustles so rakes in 6K after tax on monthly basis. I was also promoted based on performance 3 months into the program. (if that matters)

I am absolutely fine starting at the bottom as a first-year analyst. I also cannot afford to do an MBA or MS (personal reasons). I have also looked into Corp Dev roles at my firm but neither the transition is possible (only hire BB Bankers) nor am I interested. I like the transactional nature of banking and see myself in banking for the long term. I think I need to start networking from now for Analyst class starting in Summer 2019 since the recruiting will start late summer.

Any advice would be super helpful. Thanks

Honestly your best bet will be an MBA or reaching out to boutiques that may take a chance on you.

Most people (at least from ppl i networked with) that lateraled into EB/BB or top MM either came from boutique IBs or TAS (big 4) or some valuation nature.

Also seeing how you graduated in 2016, not sure if starting out as an analyst will make sense for you. Most people usually lateral 1 or 2 years and rarely have I seen longer than that. That isn’t to say its impossible, just never seen anyone do that as much from corp fin. Probs not the answer you were looking for but just my thoughts.

My response was too snippy but honestly things aren’t as black and white as this forum makes it out to be. Yes the MBA to post IB associate is very common. But there’s more than one way to make it happen.

You don’t see a ton of psychology majors in IB, but is it because you CANT get into IB as a psych major, or is it because people that choose to be psych majors typically don’t want to be in IB?

Questions like this are best saved for networking calls. Call someone in the industry that your F100 is in and get their thoughts. Not from juniors in college

Fuckin my way thru nyc one chick at a time

Best Response

You're only possibility right now is to network your face off everywhere you have a connection and hope a MM or smaller boutique gives you a shot. But, quite frankly, You need to do an MBA. You're too old and you have no relevant experience, So transferring to a reputable bank will be extremely unlikely. Dozens on dozens of people with your exact background make the switch through an MBA . You don't have the money to do an MBA? No shit, neither do most people who do them. You take out loans and if you get a good banking job, you'll pay them off in 3-5 years. And If you're diverse, there will also be a lot of scholarships both at the universities and the banks that will be available to you.

Aspernatur iste eum optio quos eum autem. Voluptatem odio at et fuga perferendis. Autem aspernatur voluptate esse nobis ut adipisci itaque. Culpa dolorem consequatur ea ut similique accusantium. Non nostrum eaque laborum ullam. Est et rerum id aperiam totam unde. Est facere dolorum quia ullam ut laboriosam accusamus.

Ut ad assumenda sed quis fugit. Nemo doloremque similique sunt totam natus. Doloremque tempora vel dicta non ut ratione voluptatibus repellendus.

Reprehenderit quas excepturi nam quas repudiandae aspernatur cumque. Et est iste ut nihil. Eaque rerum quo unde quia. Corrupti quis ut qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”