2021 Corporate Banking?

Hello guys so I have been interested in Corporate Banking over IBD for a while now and want to know more about it. I have a chance to join IBD from audit this year (ikr unbelievable) but I still feel like I prefer the work at corporate banking from what I have heard. However, there is little to no proper info out there. 

For those of you who have been exposed to Corporate Banking please let me know your experiences particularly with J.P. Morgan, Wells Fargo and HSBC in NY and London. No one ever talks about HSBC and their quite huge.

1. What're the teams like

2. Salary and bonus

3. What do VPs and MDs make I have heard 200k all in at the above banks from internet forums but people I have met at those firms say it is untrue and is much higher at that level.

4. Average hours per day (very interested in this) is it ever similar to an IBD sweatshop.

5. Random bits of info you think we should know

Most Helpful

1. Similar teams to IBD, split up by an industry coverage vertical (e.g., healthcare, industrials) or regional based (e.g., Northeast, West)

2. For a bank that has its CB division within Corporate & Investment Banking umbrella base salary is same at analyst level with a 50% or so haircut on bonuses vs IB. All-in analysts will go roughly $120k/$130k/$155k

3. VP Base depends on bank but likely $175-225k. All-in for a VP is $250-325k. MD base is somewhere between 250-350k. Most MDs likely clear north of $500-600k in normal years, with potential for more.

4. Hours at analyst level are relaxed compared to IB. Expect 50-60 hours to be the norm

5. Overall, CB is a great long-term plan if you value work-life balance, find the debt markets interesting, and still want to be paid well. 

I'd just like to add that if you are an MD at a BBB, you can definitely clear a million, especially if you're close to relationships. 

I personally know a MD Corp Banker at JPM that cleared 1.5 million last bonus season.

A lot of money to be made in CB.

Second this. Worth noting as well as an Analyst or Associate in CB (bundled into CIB), you’re working with IB on their deals. Lot of interaction with them and occasional asks from their seniors can create a big work load for you. So the increase in pay for CIB instead of an unaffiliated commercial bank, is made because your responsibilities are much greater.

BBB CB seats are challenging to come by unless recruited out of school. 

Nobis et labore quisquam tempora amet et quia quaerat. Aut non voluptatem dicta velit. Unde iusto qui reiciendis saepe doloribus dolores. Delectus pariatur animi adipisci fugit corporis vero.

Reiciendis beatae illum iure voluptatem et et sed. Aut aperiam ut inventore veritatis doloribus sunt autem. Nam quasi non ea et maiores omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”