Bonus Bananas July 29, 2011

1) Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein Can't Understand How He Became Wall Street's Dr. Evil (New York Magazine) - It's hard out there for a pimp. My mom always told me that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. So I guess the nice thing I have to say about this puff piece is that Lucas van Praag must have a friend at New York Magazine. Which is one more friend than I would have given him credit for. (Sorry mom.)

2) Mark Sanchez Is Willing to Help Jets Lower Payroll to Maintain NFL Roster (Bloomberg) - Now this is how you take one for the team. I can't say I'm a fan, but the Jets' Mark Sanchez is willing to re-write his own contract to get the team under the salary cap to keep his receiver corps intact. That's a stud move in anybody's book.

3) Super-big role for expat bank dynamo (Stuff New Zealand) - We really don't do enough here on WSO to highlight the lovely ladies of Wall Street. Former Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley banker Fiona Mackenzie went down to New Zealand to kick ass and chew bubble gum - and she was all out of bubble gum. In less than two years she went from no job to taking over as head of investments for Super Fund. Baller.

4) Jordan Belfort, The Wolf Of Wall Street on Building a Multi-Million Dollar Company (Under 30 CEO) - I did a double-take when I saw this interview. It's actually a pretty solid interview, and Jordan has some decent insights. I have to admit, though, that our shared history made it a little tough for me to take it seriously the first time I read it ( and no, I neither worked for Stratton Oakmont nor spent any time in the "loamy loins" of any of Jordan's cast-offs - I'll discuss our connection in a later post).

5) #OCCUPYWALLSTREET (Adbusters) - Let me throw a shout out to the torch and pitchfork crowd. Wall Street, you're about to be occupied. If you notice a bunch of tents and dirty folk milling about on September 17, don't panic - you didn't fall asleep on the train and wake up in Brooklyn. The hipsters are coming to you! They've even given you a cool name: the financial Gomorrah of America! Pass the salt.

6) Wall Street investing in Romney (Washinton Post) - This sounds like the very definition of dumb money to me, but from what I've heard Romney's already picking out the White House drapes, so what the hell do I know? Don't get me wrong, I get the connection with Bain and all. It's the whole magic underwear thing that leaves me scratching my head.

7) Lessons from the Great Escape (The Reformed Broker) - I highlighted this post earlier in the week, but every one of you really needs to go read it. If you enjoyed my 30-30-30 post, you might as well know that this post was a partial inspiration for it. The takeaway is that you're on your team in this business, and anyone who tries to convince you that you're on their team is someone you should probably run from.

8) 5 Things Nobody Tells You About Being Poor (Cracked.com) - Okay, this made me laugh my ass off (I'd expect nothing less from Cracked). Pretty much a horribly depressing outlook on what it means to be working poor in America. Enjoy.

9) The 400 Richest Americans Pay An 18% Tax Rate (Forbes) - Fuckers. That is all.

10) Americans digging out of their debt dilemmas (MSNBC) - Thought I'd end this week on a positive note. It seems Americans are getting their shit together, and it only took the scare of the century to make it happen.

Now on to the Video of the Week. First of all, watch this video in Full Screen mode. Click on the little chingadera to the right of the volume control to enable Full Screen.

It's not often I get this charged up by a movie trailer, but this one has me excited. We rarely see anything original out of Hollywood anymore (Harry Potter 8? Are you fucking kidding me?), and this looks highly original.

What if time were actually money? This is something that probably deserves an entire post, but I'll let the video speak for itself. Imagine a world where women stopped aging (physically, anyway) at 25. Nice.

I'm anxious to hear what you guys think about the movie. Are you as fired up about it as I am? I know some sci-fi purist out there is going to point out that it's Logan's Run all over again, but that was 35 years ago, so suck it.

Let me know what you think, and have a great weekend.

2 - Love this. I wish more athletes would do this. Teamwork at its best

5 - It'll be funny to see how this plays out. There'll probably be 4 tents...that will clear out by the end of the day.

The movie looks pretty interesting...and no homo, big fan of JT. Thanks for posting

yellow t-shirt

I love sci-fi movies. This one looks pretty awesome. Cilian Murphy is most definitely the man. I'm really not sold on Timberlake as an actor. Everyone raves about his performance in The Social Network, but to me, it just felt like he was playing himself in the movie. Either way, I'm definitely going to see this.

Movie looks sweet. I think JT is a pretty good actor...and that is judged more from his SNL appearances than his performance in Social Network, although that was pretty decent too. I haven't seen Bad Teacher or Friends with Benefits but I heard the later was really good.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Amet illo minus aliquid eos nihil. Est nisi aspernatur rem molestias neque itaque. Quia dolor magnam laborum velit id.

Dolorem laborum sit sed voluptates assumenda. Repellat omnis ipsa mollitia voluptas exercitationem et. Est unde ut omnis quia velit et qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”