*CANADIAN* 2018 Investment Banking Summer Analyst mini Thread

I wanted to start a central thread where all Canadian undergrad students could comment and share inquiries, information, and concerns regarding investment banking summer analyst recruiting/timeline for summer 2018 in CANADA (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, etc)

Canadian banks:
RBC
CIBC
TD
BMO
SCOTIA
NBC

MM/Boutique:
Canaccord Genuity
GMP Securities
Blair Franklin
Origin Merchant
Evans & Evans

Globals:
BAML
CS
JPM
GS
Barclays
Evercore
HSBC
Wells Fargo

Best of luck to everyone grinding right now!

Tip for those who attend a target: Try to leverage your network to figure out who the recruiting captain is for your school. In terms of networking, I'd say associates and VPs should be your focus. Anybody higher probably won't give you the time of day, whereas analysts are open to chatting but have less pull. From what I've seen most recruiting captains are associates as well.

It's kind of late now, but high GPAs these days go a long way. Lots of kids with traditional "finance" backgrounds are getting passed up for kids who have a 3.8+ and demonstrated a bit of interest in finance(even if it started a month before recruiting season). Another piece of feedback my friends and I got as well especially with the Canadian banks is not to seem too rehearsed. If you attend a school with a lot of resources(alumni, mock interviews, prep guides.. READ: Ivey/Queens), its actually possible to over-prepare. Canadian banks care much more about fit as opposed to being able to memorize every question in a guide. In fact, interviews at Canadian banks are more like 70% fit/30% technical.

Done school however I wanted to chime in with my thoughts on IB in Canada. Ivey/Queens/Waterloo will be the best in terms of feeding you into IB/S&T IMO. Regional IB/certain programs like UBC PMF, University of Calgary and HEC Montreal will place you as well. I'd like to say UofT, McGill, and York Schulich will be runner up after the top 3 and everything else is pretty much a non target.

Side note: I forgot which student groups at Ivey/Queens have guides floating around the internet/their website but I believe the QUIC guide/the Ivey Capital Markets club may be the ones that appeared top notch.

Best Response

As someone attending a "Canadian target", I'm actually quite surprised at how much the forum undermines names such as Rotman/Schulich/Laurier/UW. Sure if you're speaking BB/EB or IB in the US its really Ivey/Queens/McGill lights out, but if your goal is Big 5 or one of the independents in Canada, the schools above place just fine.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”