JULY 2026 CHICAGO BANK RANKINGS

Everyone hates rankings, but in honor of SA '28 recruiting kicking off fairly soon for CHI banks, here we go. Currently a BB An at one of these banks, and I want to note that these rankings are entirely based off of Chicago presence (Not the platform as a whole nationally/Internationally), deal flow, exits, and how much you're actually going to learn as a junior. Also please note that rankings are not everything and if you connect with a group at a "lower" bank, that is awesome and who really cares- if you land a spot anywhere, you will have a strong career and be just fine. 

2026 Rankings:

S+: HL RX, LAZ RX, GUGG Services & PEAG 
S: JPM IND, GS IND, GUGG (rest)
A+: EVR (packaging), HL (rest), GS (rest), Blair tech & HC
A: JPM (rest), PWP, Baird IND, Lincoln IND, GHL IND, Blair (rest)
B: BARC, MOE, LAZ (rest), Citi, BofA, Lincoln (rest), Baird (rest), Piper
C: DB, Solomon HC, BMO, RJ, JEFF M&A, WF
D: UBS, Truist, Solomon (rest), Macquarie
F: BGL, Stifel, Stout, Cantor Fitzgerald

Edit: MOE moved down, BARC up, added Piper and WF
 

34 Comments
 

Any GS CHI group will work you until you cannot physically work anymore. If you want double monitor outlines burned into your eyes go work there. Trust me I know from experience. Idc how "prestigious" it may be, it is not worth it. The name helped with PE recruiting but I promise you can get a solid PE offer from most of these shops if that is the goal. I would go a step further and avoid most of the BBs on this list. To all the sophomores in college, pick the group that actually gives you a smile or even cracks a joke in your superday. 

 

Agree, I work at a top BB in a top group in NYC and they are overrated.


Join the group with the people you enjoyed speaking with the most. Culture above all.

 
Most Helpful

If all you are doing is pitch work and getting bitched around by the NY office at JEFF Chi (usually the case with obscure satellite offices), then yes it would be better to be at a MM shop where the Chi MDs actually bring in killer deal flow. 

 

Notre Dame, UChicago, Northwestern, Michigan do really well in Chi, probably ~35% of the banking scene

 

Lincoln services has been crushing too. Rightfully ranked imo. Consumer is not the best though 

 

Currently spending my freshman summer as an M&A Intern at a Chicago boutique and would definitely like to work in Chicago to start out my career as I love the city and the cost of living is great relative to peers.

I do have some family from the Chicago area but other than that I don’t have many ties to the city, as I’m originally from the South (Oklahoma/Texas/Louisiana) and attend university in New England. How do you recommend one goes about IB recruiting in Chicago when they have no strong ties to the city? I’ve been trying to network a bit this summer but it’s been difficult I can’t lie.

 

Laz RX and GS are likely the best for exits. GS has an IND, FIG, and CMG group in Chicago with a strong number of senior people, but seats are limited. All GS groups exit well (MF/UMM) across NYC & Chicago. Evr is also one of the top satellite seats, focusing on Paper/Packaging & FIG. Barc also had a strong team in Chicago in prior years, with exits to seats like GTCR. In terms of comp, the EBs here pay the best.

Terms of Chi HQ, WB and Baird IND exit the best. Lincoln's had good laterals as well, but likely the best culture. Office is sweet too

Edit: HL RX is solid too for exits

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”