[Comment removed by mod team]

This guy is an idiot who never has any useful advice. My advice is to not take yourself too seriously all the time and just learn to smile because that will make others more comfortable around you. The funniest guy I have ever met in IB does not drink any alcohol, but has stories to tell in any situation.

Thanks. This was the only insightful comment thus far. I sorta relate in that I am also incredibly knowledgeable in what I do. I am friendly with everyone I work with but I am not super extraverted/outgoing. I may try drinking responsibly tbh.

Fellow intern at my bank was like this. This individual was incredibly knowledgeable about the coverage group and was a strong intern but didn't get the offer. I asked around and found out it was because he was super hardo and came off as too serious and not a chill guy and ended up not being a cultural fit. I would recommend being chill...

I would try alcohol better. I am an alcoholic but was able to drink responsibly during the internship. It's a hard line to tread, and I don't recommend it if you really think you can't.

I never get this. Back when banking was fun and you’d go out to bars and clubs with the class and people got shit faced I get it. But now you’re barely in the office the culture has become super professional might as well just hire smart grinders who have passion and will crank out pages no mistakes…

Analysts and associates made most of the decisions as they interacted with the interns the most. The analysts and associates missed the freedom they had in university and only got a ton of company happy hours when the interns needed to be wooed. The interns that were able to socialize with the twenty-somethings still missing college ended up with the best reviews. 

This is a very short term point of view. If the banks only hired grinders with no social skills for the next 10 years then who are the leaders at the bank going to be down the road? Hiring and culture are long term strategies. Before a 22 year old nerd can grind away on a deck there needs to be clients to do work for. Someone has to be out drumming up business and those nerds that are shit socially are not the type to do it.

You don't deserve to smile, or happiness or true love because you're too serious and have no friends LMFAOOOO

I said that in a jokingly way, but seriously. One piece of advice I got from my sophomore internship was to smile more and have better energy. I took that advice seriously and every interaction I had started with a smile and it has been a game changer. Not only have I had more success dating, my SA experience went phenomenally well. People enjoyed talking to me, being around me, and it's done wonders. It makes others feel comfortable and brings positive emotions. I know it can be hard to fake but it becomes natural after a while.

My comment was genuine as well. And ya - that totally makes sense and thank you for going into detail about that! Glad to hear that it worked out for you and I hope to see results in the future.

LMAO ofc I love smoking. Don’t do it too much when I am going out tho cuz bud makes me quiet asf lol

Holy shit this kid is autistic. I can just imagine him in the room during an ultra-serious DD meeting trying to do a Jerry Seinfeld impression "So what's the deal with a stalking horse bidder? Do we need to get a restraining order on this horse or what am I right ladies and gentlemen!?!?!"

I don't know if you do this already, but I would work out more and read more long-form news (more like the Economist, for example).

Working out serves multiple functions. It will give you more confidence as you feel fitter, and it will give you more energy without relying on caffeine and other chemicals. Your mood will also improve, regardless if you're working out indoors or outdoors. 

Reading long-form news will allow you to connect with other people more easily. Everyone has topics that they love to chat about, but no one knows if their chatting partner will know what they're talking about unless you hint that you have a working knowledge of the discussed topic. It could also be interesting for you as you might be learning more about something that you already have some foundational knowledge of.  

--Death, lighter than a feather; duty, heavier than a mountain

Most Helpful

I have a very similar personality, not talking a lot when everyone else is having a conversation is the big thing that people notice and they generally assume something is wrong but the reality is most of the time they are talking about something I don't care about or I don't have anything of value to add to the conversation beyond what is already being said, not for lack of knowledge but not much point in repeating what everyone else is saying just to be heard. In my experience extroverts talk simply for the sake of talking, generally not adding much value to the conversation but it is still perceived as engagement so it isn't noticed that what they are saying is what someone else said two minutes prior. Often times people forget that listening to what others are saying is actually the more important part of the conversation. I will say that one of the benefits of being more of an observer of the conversation and speaking only when you have something of value to add is that people tend to actually listen when you do speak up.

Over the years I've essentially had to teach myself how to fake interest in what people are talking about, recognize when I'm not engaging, and learn social cues so I know when I'm not being "normal". A lot of people love to talk, one of the best things you can do is ask questions, then you don't have to speak and it's perceived as though you are engaging. I'm in my 30s now so I don't even bother with faking it outside of work anymore, if people aren't interesting then I'm not going to bother pretending I want to be around them.

Similar personality type to you and OP, you've described my thought processes and experiences to a T. Especially that everyone listens to you when you do speak. Someone actually once said to me "you don't talk a lot but when you do, its usually good".

OP I'd obviously +1 what this guy said. 

Some other tidbits:

* Be a yes man. This should be taken with a grain of salt, obviously have boundaries but if you want to step outside your comfort zone a bit more, say yes to all opportunities that come your way without (or barely) thinking. Just do it. At least once. If it's hanging out with new people, a new activity, whatever. If the opportunity comes just say yes. Even if you have a feeling you might not like it. If you end up being right, fine, you never have to do it again. But if you do end up liking it, the new people etc. it can open up your social life a bit, if that's what you're after.

* Learn the subtle smile. It's like engaging the muscles on your face EVER SO SLIGHTLY. Solves the resting bitch face thing. Makes people think you're engaged (you naturally look less despondent).

* Make good eye contact with people when talking to them.

* Learn to be curious about other people (if you don't dislike them ofc). By asking good questions, you actually rarely have to speak ever.

​​​​​​

[Comment removed by mod team]

Something I heard that helped me a lot with this: It's not about being interesting, it's about being interested.

Most people just want to talk about themselves so if you show interest and ask engaging questions (i.e., not yes/no questions) then it goes a long way. 

"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."

Est voluptas deleniti eos consequatur et reiciendis quos. Cum magnam voluptatem odit placeat reprehenderit ipsum.

Quia beatae iste consectetur assumenda. Deserunt porro voluptatem porro. Ex sunt aut dolorem sed ipsa dicta dolorem. Eaque impedit voluptas impedit facilis ut voluptatum ut.

Nobis eos laudantium eaque nemo eum quas. Eius delectus quos aut. Et quia sunt sunt. Officia recusandae et vitae cupiditate dolorum aut.

Consequatur mollitia ea voluptas exercitationem. Et laboriosam optio nesciunt provident tenetur quis quos. Eaque quae dicta ipsam voluptate et quibusdam. Libero sed dolor facilis eius esse eum nihil. Consequuntur ut nostrum est dolore temporibus reiciendis.

Velit et nesciunt quia dolorem atque rerum nulla quia. Dicta quidem cumque ipsa cumque quibusdam. Nostrum aut soluta voluptatem esse repellat voluptatum et. Porro occaecati soluta consequatur et quas et. Quis beatae totam perferendis aut dolores. Accusamus et tenetur laboriosam dolorem necessitatibus ut.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”