Top shops in Chicago 2024

What are the top shops in Chicago for 2024? I know Credit Suisse was highly regarded, but are there any places that make the list other than Greenhill, PWP, Goldman, Evercore, and Moelis? I know Guggenheim has shown tons of growth recently.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Could you share why they aren’t doing good? Genuine question and want to see what their overall sentiment is as of late

Most Helpful

As mentioned above, the middle market banks (Houlihan, Baird, Blair and Lincoln) have the biggest presence. All of those have a significantly larger and more active presence in Chicago than the ones you asked about (besides maybe Guggenheim). I know Citi used to have a fairly large Chicago office, but not sure how that has changed the last handful of years. Not sure about Credit Suisse. Below is some info on the ones you listed. Most are focused on industrials. 

• Greenhill - industrials
  • PWP - essentially only industrials 
  • Goldman - industrials; also has at least part of their middle market team there ("Cross Markets Group"); maybe parts of other groups too?
  • Evercore - essentially only packaging
  • Moelis - industrials
  • Guggenheim - not as familiar, but yes as you point out, they have focused on growing the Chicago office and I imagine it is much more active than any of the above

Worth mentioning that being in Chicago is a huge plus for RX. Massive RX professional hub to join and partake in events as well to network. 

A sweaty bank with a pretty strong frat culture. If you're asking about BGL your options probably arent good, but I would still recommend looking elsewhere unless youve been laid off 

I know a lot of folks who went to work there, but I have not heard many people speak highly of their time there
Edit: the amount of MS I receive directly correlates to the number of Analysts currently trapped at BGL 

Funniest

Lmao a VP from BGL came to my school for a presentation and told us he is “the best TMT banker in the world”

No exaggeration

Can confirm. They’ve built a new office near Willis Tower, business is going solid for them. Have friends there who say their LevFin desk is on fire (in a good way), other coverage groups fairly busy as well. M&A not as busy due to rates.

Don't know a whole lot about Mesirow but Baird is decent depending on the group. 

Industrials is Baird's best group and routinely hits above their weight, consumer is a lifestyle group, and healthcare is not all that good from what I hear.

Chicago Evercore is a really small group, around 15 employees total. Strictly do Paper and Packaging deals. Culture there is phenomenal however would definitely give them a look.

Houlihan Lokey food & beverage is probably still good, but you’ll get taken to the cleaners during your time there. Their healthcare services team is also a factory of PPM deals.

JPM, at least as of five years ago, had an industrials team with a good book of clients. Active around Detroit/automobile aftermarket

Maiores laborum voluptatem provident velit. Soluta qui sequi mollitia vero eaque odio aliquam eos. Quia quia ipsum et rerum. Similique repellendus quis occaecati sunt. Et id doloremque ipsa sint.

Inventore quam quisquam ut cupiditate ipsum autem et. Quos asperiores eos et et asperiores molestiae voluptas dolore.

Voluptatem incidunt voluptas sit voluptatibus impedit. Voluptatem dicta nesciunt tempore illum et dolorem et. Explicabo nam est eum magnam. Explicabo cupiditate voluptatem dolor tenetur nulla repellat magni. Labore aut aliquid non vel fugiat illo quis. Quaerat consequatur eligendi est debitis repudiandae. Aperiam mollitia repellat ea nemo. Quasi inventore expedita enim.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”