Houston 2022 Bank Ranking

Does anyone have any input on banks in Houston at the moment? I am currently a sophomore who has a couple of offers lined up so trying to get some more input about the industry landscape. Thanks in advance. 

There were some threads on this a few weeks ago. Search for them

I’d take EVR or Citi if you are looking to maximize reps and don’t care about WLB. You’ll get paid more at evercore, but they’ll work you to a pulp.

BofA and MS are less sweaty but still solid shops.

CS used to be elite but they haven’t been as strong recently.

Probably would take MS unless you are down for a sweatier experience.

Most Helpful

I would eliminate BofA first. It has a okay culture, okay deal flow, okay pay.

Then I would eliminate CS. Declining deal flow (above BofA but used to be much better - so the downward trend isn’t good), high turnover amongst juniors and seniors, and bad pay. 

then I would eliminate MS - good deal flow, whale hunter, average pay. 

It should come down to Citi and Evercore. Citi is really strong and has a lot of deal flow, is extremely sweaty and has below average pay. But has really good exits and like I said awesome deal flow. Evercore has great pay (one of the best along with Jefferies) but extremely sweaty and probably the highest junior turnover amongst the shops in Houston (citi is no less, tho). Evercore’s deal flow’s solid but not what it was 2-3 years ago. i think you’ll have to comprise on either pay or relative deal flow between citi and Evercore but they are the best options from the ones you listed. 

TL;DR: 

Pay: Evercore, MS=BofA=CS, Citi

deal flow: Citi > MS = EVR > CS > BofA

Exits: Citi = EVR > CS = MS > BofA

WLB: BofA > MS > CS > Citi > EVR

let me know if you have questions. 

Not quite on topic because I find arbitrary WSO rankings silly, but how do people feel about culture/WLB at various important players.

Heard MOE/EVR have really long hours, with the former having worse culture. Jeff long hours and bad culture but crazy dealflow. TPH bad hours and WLB but pretty decent culture.

BBs heard GS has awful culture, Citi not great but really strong in the space. MS doing okay—recently on some good deals—with decent culture and hours.

All based on talking to people but not a strong statistical measure. Anyone have better info than me?

As somebody with great connectivity with this group. Would say that’s a stretch…

Look the group has a great reputation in town, but you’ve got to know what you’re signing up for. Only take a position here if you are 100% willing and able to work at a sweat shop. I wouldn’t say the culture is particularly positive, but you’ll be working with the cream of the crop from an intellectual horsepower perspective.

They’ll compensate you well for it, but many folks jump ship well before their time is up for a reason.

Quasi corrupti dicta adipisci ratione ipsum iure. Commodi est est aspernatur minima.

Aut praesentium amet animi possimus voluptatem consectetur iusto ut. Architecto error vel quidem voluptatem excepturi explicabo saepe.

Aut magni et magni exercitationem at. Quis quia ratione et. Nobis laboriosam veritatis dicta et rerum nam iusto doloremque. Qui distinctio est quo totam.

Architecto deleniti placeat ullam voluptatem blanditiis et. Doloribus ipsam eos enim. Nesciunt qui quia ipsum enim doloribus sed. Neque et consequatur quos quia. Ut at molestiae voluptatem sit delectus molestiae asperiores. Et quas et unde ut consequatur excepturi minima.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”