IB FT Recruiting 2024

Hi all,

just wanted to make a forum for 2024 ft. Currently I have an offer for this summer at a lmm, but obviously want a better bank for ft. If anyone has advice or any info on this process that would be helpful including networking, timelines, news on ft etc. Much appreciated!

I believe if you network with a group enough and they open up a spot, you have a 50-50. I would recommend to all my FT hopefuls that you network like crazy with banks and groups you like and pray for the best.

If you have to apply through an application for full time you probably are already screwed…

I would also learn to case and look into recruiting for other consulting and other careers in finance. Everyone on this forum has the whole "IB or bust" mentality but if IB doesn't work out you want to have another (good) option so that you can lateral in or go to a top MBA program and start as an associate.

Do people lateral a lot from consulting to IB or is the MBA route more popular? I personally haven't seen many laterals to IB from consulting.

People do but it isn't super common. Exit ops are pretty good in consulting and you take a slight haircut for a better WLB. 

MBA route is super popular. Many of the "top dealmaker" MDs come from this background because they don't get burnt out in their analyst years and going to business school is a super powerful networking tool when you need to bring in business. 

Look, many kids think they want to actually be investment bankers but don't - they want to be viewed as "valuable" and get paid a lot of money. You can also have that career in the consulting world or many many other finance careers.

Incoming SA this summer for a lower EB looking to recruit for another bank. Should I be networking right now with banks of interest? On another note, are there banks that look like they will do FT or is that impossible to tell at this point? Any usual suspects for EBs or BBs that regularly do FT?

Honestly I'd just be grateful for where you are. This FT recruiting cycle looks like it is going to be brutal just based off of the current macro environment and how bloated the classes banks took for summer 2023 already are. Lets just say maybe tap the people you've already connected with at those banks so they know that, depending on how the summer goes, you may rerecruit... But don't get your hopes up and grind your ass off to make sure you get a return offer - you need it if you want any chance of moving up

Most Helpful

Alright guys, I had a summer internship in PE at an okay firm this past summer and recruited for IB FT and secured the offer for a top MM. I am a complete non target with a 85% acceptance rate. Non diversity. 

FT recruitment for all the major banks begin in August, September, and October. Ironically my FT recruitment got much more traction then any summer recruiting despite having a really good ER internship the previous summer my Sophomore year and a bad recessionary environment post junior summer internship. The truth is, your network and being able to relay how your experiences are relevant to IB will get you in. 

Apply everywhere, and everywhere you apply attempt to network. Emails, LinkedIn, see if a connection you're close to has any contacts there etc.

It is all about getting the first round interview. 

Many smaller banks do full time recruiting to fill the few openings that summer analysts may have not filled....but they won't post about it. You have to network to get the interview and its very lowkey I noticed at some decent smaller banks. 

Know your technicals lights out, full time recruiting they want no doubts. Because they are not interviewing you for 10 weeks as a summer analyst

Full time recruiting also has weaker candidates. Because if you were the crème of the crop you would probably already be at a strong firm or have a return offer. 

Have a story on why you declined the return offer or why you didn't get one (Market conditions, etc.).

And keep networking and grinding. Persistence is key. I had some big breaks that came after weeks of crickets or tough job rejections after lots of investing in networking. 

Hope this helps. 

Alright guys, I had a summer internship in PE at an okay firm this past summer and recruited for IB FT and secured the offer for a top MM. I am a complete non target with a 85% acceptance rate. Non diversity. 

FT recruitment for all the major banks begin in August, September, and October. Ironically my FT recruitment got much more traction then any summer recruiting despite having a really good ER internship the previous summer my Sophomore year and a bad recessionary environment post junior summer internship. The truth is, your network and being able to relay how your experiences are relevant to IB will get you in. 

Apply everywhere, and everywhere you apply attempt to network. Emails, LinkedIn, see if a connection you're close to has any contacts there etc.

It is all about getting the first round interview. 

Many smaller banks do full time recruiting to fill the few openings that summer analysts may have not filled....but they won't post about it. You have to network to get the interview and its very lowkey I noticed at some decent smaller banks. 

Know your technicals lights out, full time recruiting they want no doubts. Because they are not interviewing you for 10 weeks as a summer analyst

Full time recruiting also has weaker candidates. Because if you were the crème of the crop you would probably already be at a strong firm or have a return offer. 

Have a story on why you declined the return offer or why you didn't get one (Market conditions, etc.).

And keep networking and grinding. Persistence is key. I had some big breaks that came after weeks of crickets or tough job rejections after lots of investing in networking. 

Hope this helps. 

Appreciate this brother, I agree with you. At this point, it's unlikely to find much information about full-time positions. Been networking since Jan for FT and this is the overwhelming consensus. The best opportunities might be at boutique firms that primarily hire full-time candidates. For the rest, networking and persistence is all we got. Keep grinding fellows

Reiciendis molestiae nam ut officiis. Consequatur iure enim et sint sint blanditiis. Et a sit voluptate doloremque sint. Laudantium saepe repellendus aliquid iusto et minima consequuntur consequatur.

Maiores architecto itaque libero vitae adipisci eos fuga. Delectus a aperiam similique nobis id. Quo rem autem non non dolorem officia ab dicta. Reprehenderit veritatis doloribus vitae ut est. Dolores ea enim ut sed. Est iusto omnis nisi voluptatem.

Rem odit sed non explicabo omnis et ut. Quo vitae vel libero. Qui facere laudantium sunt alias ipsa necessitatibus aut sequi. Corporis ex consequatur blanditiis molestias quam omnis. Sit culpa assumenda quas earum adipisci in consequatur. Enim debitis nostrum itaque.

Non ipsa quos consequatur autem ut voluptatem. Eligendi voluptatem ducimus a nihil cumque nobis.

Nam alias sit voluptatem autem qui sint. Suscipit aliquam culpa aut laudantium. Ut reiciendis aut tempora aspernatur ut consequatur mollitia. Debitis totam omnis vel dolorem. Reprehenderit magnam fugiat praesentium esse ex autem.

Natus qui ut ex quam eveniet. Ut quia aut deleniti quidem in accusamus. Nobis reprehenderit unde assumenda et iusto aliquid. Quo voluptas minus odio earum ea officiis non eius.

Ipsam illo occaecati explicabo dolores repellendus in consequatur. Vero veniam eaque sit expedita quasi voluptatum. Autem ab soluta voluptas dolores provident soluta cum. Quia quasi qui et iusto sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”