Low gpa and graduated during March 2020

Hi guys, been a user on and off, have 2 boutique IB and a zombie private equity fund internships. have around 2.7gpa from a close to top tier UC. I'm thinking about pursuing something else, as networking doesn't seem to be working well. Any advice on where I should be looking and where to begin? I can bs my way through an acquisition deal I've worked on. and a decent time going through the technicals. 

I don't know how the hiring climate is like ATM, as I have gotten pretty shitty responses from networking. 

I'm thinking about taking the GMAT and pursuing a finance or accounting master or just pursue something independently. I would be happy to hear from you guys as I'm sure there are people out there who may be in similar situations.

people are having trouble landing IB offers this year as it is given covid. You graduated in March and that wasn't so long ago. Why give up so fast? Took me two years after graduating to get into IB, keep on networking, get a job somewhere and do really well in it. But keep on building those relationships and applying when ever you see something up. My advice is don't be afraid to take a role somewhere even if its not front office and just do great work there while networking and actively getting your resume out there. 

Most Helpful

Graduated in ‘18 from a non target in nyc. Terrible GPA, like really really terrible. Almost got kicked out of my major. Internships at no name shops and got rejected from everywhere I ever applied too but no matter what kept on networking. Took an MO role at a BB (being a veteran helped me land the role) and while I was there I networked a lot. Eventually I was able to land a Junior trading position interview right before Covid and did very well. When you finally get those FO interviews, you better be perfect, it can be your one and only opportunity. Then Covid hit so interview process stopped but I never stopped networking and building genuine connections and kept in touch with that interviewer. Find what what people care about outside of work, have good conversations and be personable. Then recently was asked “hey, know anyone hiring for an analyst on the trading floor?” Was told no but if I’m interested in ECM banking they can put in a word. Got the interviews (7 in total) and got the offer. For me it came down to never giving up, never settling, continuing to network and making sure when I got that opportunity, I wouldn’t fuck it up. I have a very good story to tell in my interview and it’s important you master that. Also, it’s a very hard skill to learn but I’m good at turning interviews into just casual conversations and making the interviewer talk more than I do. (My internships were sales, so I gained a good skill set). Just keep on networking, never talk about your gpa and just be prepared, have your technicals down, keep up with the market everyday and know what you are talking about. You never know when that interview will come and who can get it for you.

Consequuntur quasi ut illum officia facere eaque atque. Maxime et magni assumenda unde voluptatum ipsa tempore non. Quia voluptas quaerat voluptate dolorum ipsam.

Sint ut atque et omnis. Maxime omnis dignissimos odio sed. Enim quis quas officia rem eos quo laboriosam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”