Outlook / opinions on LevFin for 2022-2024

Just received an offer for a top LevFin group (I believe?) and considering leaving MM M&A for it. I'm interested in debt and hate my VPs.

Few questions below:

1) Is it a bad time to go into LevFin / debt generally given tightening policy & recession risk? Seems the broadly syndicated markets have been down on a volume basis like ~70% YTD. Banks can't sell credit anymore. Nobody has cash so sponsors are just going to direct lenders. Mainly concerned about just getting some good deals under my belt before recruiting after a couple years

2) What are the top groups? Have heard JPM / BAML but LinkedIn is showing some questionable exits from BAML recently. Who else does well in the space specifically for sponsor LBOs / modeling / general origination?

3) Where can I exit? I'm aware credit funds is the easy answer but is classic buyout PE still doable? Also fuzzy on the spectrum of HF exits - I follow equity markets quite closely and might want to think about L/S equity sometime in the future. Wondering if LevFin would pigeon-hole me into distressed/HY credit funds

Thanks!

7 Comments
 
Most Helpful

I left BB levfin few months ago to go to a special sits shop. People say I timed it perfectly (I had no clue looking back it just felt like a good opportunity to do something different) - banks are full and cannot add risk on their balance sheet and they also cannot really syndicate deals in this market (or bleed money). People are turning to private credits which still prices deals at L+650 (although hearing LPs being fatigued with that crowd).

Hearing my old team is looking to cut costs so not great timing to join if you want my opinion.

On your exit point - LevFin will have a wide range of exits - some guys will go to DL shops, some will go to PE (seen guys to go Carlyle, Veritas, etc from BofA/JPM), others will go to more special sits type shops. L/S equity however is quite unlikely. 
 

 

Voluptatum minima reprehenderit alias. Dolorum ratione sapiente voluptatem alias quo illo voluptas. Optio ipsam fugiat quo laborum. Est placeat aut enim consectetur. Aut deserunt neque enim labore. Impedit et quos ut inventore non vero ut. Aut adipisci sequi ad aut.

 

Necessitatibus deserunt sint sunt consequatur id omnis. Eius voluptate voluptate non dolorem architecto deserunt.

Sit dolores aut dolorum culpa rem sint numquam. Non dolor ut necessitatibus omnis autem explicabo sint. Iure suscipit sapiente consequatur molestiae asperiores quis asperiores. Quidem repellendus harum sit quam aspernatur. Natus voluptatem dolores nobis et necessitatibus et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”