Review my Game Plan for 2024 Internship Prep

Was fortunate to recently receive a junior year IB SA2024 offer from a top boutique in NY. I do not have prior finance experience and would love if you can review my game-plan to prep for the internship and starting my career in this industry.

• Do a search fund internship during the school year to get practice and experience? (How best to go about doing this?)
  • Take prep courses: online websites (wso, BIWSvs. those offered by harvard/wharton/columbia business schools(?)
  • Try pursuing certification tests? (CFA, Series exams, ???) 
  • Network: learn about different industries, exit opps at firm, how to recruit for FT at BBs come next fall, meet cool people, get my name out there, etc.
  • Practice Excel/PowerPoint, get good at Windows OS
  • Read books on finance / wall street (recs?)
  • Get more involved with finance clubs on campus (I haven't had enough time till now)

It feels strange that now that the pain of recruiting is over I just get to coast until the internship starts(?) (I don't understand how other kids at my school lock down an internship and then do jack shit for a year till the start date lol, is there something I'm missing?)

I am from a top target (HYPW) if that matters.

Hey there, congrats on the offer! That's a big step. Your game plan looks pretty solid, but let's break it down a bit:

1. A search fund internship could be a great way to gain practical experience. You can start by reaching out to alumni or professors who might have connections in this area.

2. Prep courses can be very helpful. WSO and BIWS are both great resources that are industry-specific. The courses offered by Harvard/Wharton/Columbia are also excellent, but they might be more theory-based.

3. Certification tests like the CFA can be beneficial, but they're a big commitment. For an IB internship, they might not be necessary. Focus on understanding the basics of finance and accounting, which you can get from the prep courses.

4. Networking is key! It's a great way to learn about the industry and make connections. Attend events, reach out to alumni, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

5. Practicing Excel/PowerPoint is a must. You'll be using these tools a lot during your internship.

6. Reading books can give you a broader understanding of the industry. Some recommendations are "Liar's Poker," "The Big Short," and "Barbarians at the Gate."

7. Getting involved with finance clubs on campus can give you practical experience and networking opportunities.

And remember, it's okay to take some time to relax and enjoy your achievement. You've worked hard to get this offer, and while preparation is important, so is taking care of your mental health. So, don't feel like you have to be working non-stop until your internship starts. Balance is key!

Sources: Preparing for an IB internship, My Four Year Plan, Best Ways to Prep for IB SA

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Funniest

It’s an honor to have you comment on one of my posts, PG

Yeah this is overkill.

Your best bet is chatting to others who went through the same program and getting their tips, pissing about with Excel/pptx a bit via finance competitions on campus and reading up on recent deals/market activity that relates to your coverage area.

Did my SA program at a top BB in a top coverage area and the above advice worked well.

Also no one is going to be impressed by your technical knowledge as a SA

Just get the work done, work your guts out, be responsive, minimise time spent on the shitter and you’ll get the return offer

What is actually the standard internship prep? None of my peers are doing IB so I don't really know

yeah I had no idea outside of just reviewing modeling/excel and following the markets as well

From what I've heard best thing to do is get super quick at powerpoint and excel because it increases how efficient you are during SA

Usually things go the other way around. If you've managed to get an IB internship in NY, what's a search fund, certification and club involvement going to get you? If you managed to get into IB without any prior experience, extracurriculars, networking, technical prep, or even reading books, you must be riding high off your GPA at a super-target and not much else, unless you did something super special like cure cancer or something. Relax and have fun, you got the job

Et et natus odio quos possimus sunt. Aut explicabo est eos et temporibus velit. Quas repudiandae ab eum ut dolorem. Sit harum est vitae debitis quod ea.

Qui consequatur iste alias omnis. Et quia accusamus repellendus voluptatum pariatur. Expedita quia veritatis distinctio dolorum illo provident molestiae ratione.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”