Should I delay graduation due to COVID-19 & to get summer BB IB 2022 internship?

So this summer I have been recruiting for summer 2021 BB IB internships. I got superdays at BBs(think JPM, UBS, Barclays) and a couple of other MM IBs. I interview very well and am very interpersonal. I networked well during recruiting. However, despite having superdays I have not been able to land offers. I am very confident in my ability to win an offer. I have gotten feedback like sounding overly rehearsed, but nothing major. I know I can fix that and that I have the background and experience to win an offer. I am a diversity non-target with a 3.6 GPA. I have grown up in several different countries, speaking several languages, and have international experience. I have a couple solid PE internships and a good tech boutique IB internship. I was a vice president of a school organization.

My question is if it is worth it for me to delay graduation from December 2021 to December 2022 just to land a BB IB internship (especially taking into account the pending recession)? 

Plenty of places are still recruiting. You should grind it out for that offer, and even if it is MM, take it. 

If you don't mind saying what are some of the BBs still recruiting? I'm having a hard time getting a sense which of the ones I applied are done with the process.

Most Helpful

So this summer I have been recruiting for summer 2021 BB IB internships. I got superdays at BBs(think JPM, UBS, Barclays) and a couple of other MM IBs. I interview very well and am very interpersonal. I networked well during recruiting. However, despite having superdays I have not been able to land offers. I am very confident in my ability to win an offer. I have gotten feedback like sounding overly rehearsed, but nothing major. I know I can fix that and that I have the background and experience to win an offer. I am a diversity non-target with a 3.6 GPA. I have grown up in several different countries, speaking several languages, and have international experience. I have a couple solid PE internships and a good tech boutique IB internship. I was a vice president of a school organization.

My question is if it is worth it for me to delay graduation from December 2021 to December 2022 just to land a BB IB internship (especially taking into account the pending recession)? 

You seem pretty confident for someone who got dinged from literally everywhere. Maybe take some time to self reflect and actually critique yourself, or else your results wont get any better

I know that, very insightful. Care to elaborate? 

Edit: If I made the appropriate changes and assuming I did correct myself, would it be worth delaying?

Above is a little harsh but agree - how many superdays have you had? What is your personal thinking on why it hasn't worked out and what would you do differently in a year

Stick out recruiting as long as you can (at least until Oct/Nov) you don't need to make the grad decision right away. If you can land a solid MM IB then your risk/return of delaying graduation for BB IB is not worth it if you're not good at converting interviews.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. Do you think it is possible to lateral from an MM IB in NYC to a BB somewhere along the line? Do you see it a lot and especially in light of a possible recession.

What would your plan be for summer 2021? Would you be able to get some good experience next summer to position well for 2022 recruiting?

You're definitely getting dinged for fit, so try and get feedback from a family member/friend for certain questions. I received an offer with a 3.0, but had my story laid out in a way that was conversational rather than rehearsed. I did the same with extending my graduation with a goal of one last shot with recruiting as I improved my work experience. Just consider opportunity costs before doing so. 

Array

Fugiat rem minus et voluptas. Officiis culpa ut praesentium doloribus. Fugit aut numquam facilis excepturi. Veritatis aut qui possimus ex est sit at.

Occaecati quia aut quidem praesentium. Doloribus facere consequatur soluta quo. Molestiae aut in vel nobis necessitatibus et fugit quaerat.

Reprehenderit ab sed perspiciatis quia vero ipsa. Earum et quaerat explicabo sapiente. Minima facere in molestiae enim quae. Neque eum facilis aut aut et et quae. Qui aspernatur maxime cupiditate consectetur dolores voluptatem laborum perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”