Taxes 101

I summered at a BB and will be joining one full time next year. As ignorant as I might sound, could someone fill me in, step-by-step, on what I need to do with regards to my federal tax returns? As ironic as this might sound, while I understand the accounting aspects of tax policy, I am pretty clueless when it comes to personal finance.

Do I just pick up a copy of turbo tax? Which forms do I need to fill out? (etc)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated it.

7 Comments
 

Fill out the 1040 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf yourself. Assuming no capital gains, it wont be complex. Have all your forms handy (w-2,1098t, etc)and follow the instructions carefully.

As far as deductions-- standard this year is $5150. Itemize expenses (medical, charitable, interest, miscellaneous) if they exceed the standard deduction.

Also, check out if there any places in your area that prepare free tax returns. Around this time of year programs pop up to help out those who make less than a certain income (for which you are eligible based on your 2006 earnings.)

 

Screw turbo tax. Do it yourself and save the 50 bucks. It's not like you don't have the time (as a graduating senior). In the process, you'll learn something useful.

 

Aspernatur ut ullam dolor natus atque tempora natus a. Itaque rerum similique voluptas qui nam. Exercitationem praesentium corporis laborum pariatur ipsam iusto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 02 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”