Updated IB Tier listing 2023/2024

High Target- Harvard, Stanford, PENN, MIT

Target- Yale, Princeton, NYU, Georgetown, ND, Columbia, Umich,

Low Target- Duke, UVA, U Chicago, Dartmouth, Cornell

High Semi- Northwestern, Brown, Emory, Williams, Amherst, UCB 

Semi Target- UTA, SMU, Vandy, BC, IU, UNC, USC, BYU

Low Semi- UCLA, Rice, Midd, CMC, WashU, CMU, Colgate

Respectable Non-Target- JHU, Gatech, UGA, BU, Mcgill, Fordham, Swarthmore, Wake 

Any Changes? And why? 

Most Helpful

When did ND and Georgetown become better than UChicago, Darmouth, and Cornell? This is like the last time I was on this forum and people were talking about how Evercore was the next Greenhill because they were poaching VPs and MDs from the BB.

I can see an argument for why ND/GU>Non-Dyson Cornell/Chicago, but everyone knows Dartmouth places lights out

I’ve heard that a lot, why does Dartmouth place so well when their kids aren’t super technical? Are they just good personality / interesting chillers?

Notre Dame and Michigan in the same column as Ivy's LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Atlcalling

WashUs placement is horrible when compared to its rank.

Had a buddy who went there and the impression he gave me was that it was great for consulting recruiting but a bit disappointing for IB outside of a select few banks. 

Low semi to target is all one group. No one differentiates those in reality. High target and below low semi are separate. Should be 3 groups.

Princeton is a high target—it’s the #1 school in the country don’t know how it could be anything but a high target. Even if fewer kids go into finance, a Princeton or Yale kid is getting an interview.

This is far from true, the High semis could easily be Targets in their region. Emory is a southern target, probably just as good as Duke if not better. Northwestern is obviously a target for Chicago, and Berkeley for the west coast. Low semis aren't  targets anywhere.

3.9 from washu with a 34 act who isn’t a freak and knows technicals will get hired 9/10 times. No one is biasing against them because they didn’t go to Cornell.

Do some schools send more kids to IB than others? For sure. But that’s not a ranking that’s just representation. The broader point is does it make it that much harder recruiting coming from a school with lower representation? Eh, not really. Might be harder to get your foot in the door and know how to study because you know less people, but once you land an interview it’s in your hands. Targets are only targets because a high proportion of good candidates come from there. The reality is less kids are interested in IB from washu so you see lower representation. But, the good kids from those schools find a way and are very obvious when you interview.

Only caveat I will say is some places will do on-campus interviews for undergrads for firms that frequently send people. Still, don’t that makes them “ranked” higher.

Everyone time that these lists get posted they have the same issue… placement does not equal ease of placement.

Everyone knows UMich or Stern place more kids in IB than Yale or Brown. That doesn’t mean that they are better schools to go into IB from given class size and finance interest.

I went to an Ivy that “doesn’t place well” but placement was great, kids just mostly don’t want to do banking. Compare that with stern where you need to have a 4.0 and average 19 networking calls a week to get a job at Baird but, because everyone there is an insane hardo, there ends up being good placement.

So just don’t conflate “we placed X at y banks last year” with “we could place a kid at any bank”. Ivies and other top schools need to be higher on this list. Random semi targets that “place well” because they’re huge and filled with hardos need to be lower

There's no sure fire way to measure ease of placement. However the more alumni in IB the easier it is for others to get recruited.  Maybe more students from Princeton actually want IB but didn't get it. How would we know otherwise? You're making too many assumptions,  cause you're biased. 

I mean, I worked at a big bank with kids from nearly every school on this list and know plenty of people in banking / PE from all sorts of backgrounds.

Whenever you talk to someone from a non-target / semi target vs an Ivy / other top school, it’s not that hard to figure out the differences.

I don’t know a single semi target kid who “stumbled into” banking, whereas I know plenty of target kids who did. I define this as someone who had no idea what they wanted to do, randomly applied to a job online or through OCR, and got the job. That just doesn’t happen from a place like umich or stern. It happens plenty from Princeton or Yale

Many Ivy schools have "low" placement rates because their kids don't want to do banking and are not really putting efforts into it. Then you have NYU and all the bunch of mid-tier schools where kids are using 200% of their efforts to squeeze into banking. Cannot say the latter is more target than the former, that’s just selection bias.

SMU on the same level as UTA, Vandy, UNC, USC and ahead of UCLA, Rice, WashU?? Lol 

Most of the SMU kids who place into banking are able to do so because they're born into generational wealth and have family connections to get them a job. Good school though if you are born into money/want to attend a party school with hot chicks/couldn't get into a better school

Ea asperiores error ut in odio. Odit et adipisci sit laboriosam magnam excepturi. Et nihil tenetur dolorum debitis perspiciatis ut. Sit laborum in aperiam sunt dolores. Dicta sit ut non deleniti. Ipsam accusamus placeat animi minus ut aperiam.

Vel delectus enim porro nisi dolorem odit. Autem odio odit ut cum quo id. Sint consequatur aut earum ipsum. Tempora optio ut dolore veritatis ut.

Ut nostrum et neque non. Animi dolor molestias praesentium molestiae est eligendi libero et. Sunt eligendi exercitationem sapiente voluptas maiores quaerat et.

Et officia fuga modi eum odit. Nobis eum non debitis inventore magnam et veniam. Assumenda reiciendis itaque asperiores reiciendis iste. Consequuntur ducimus dicta earum ratione est.

Paul Allen's card.

Doloremque quidem odio ratione molestiae. Quos veniam qui debitis qui. Eum et nam voluptatem porro sed est incidunt. Reiciendis eos in expedita adipisci et. Velit rerum eius fugit eum ab. Et magni ea aut id quidem architecto praesentium.

Animi aut odit in nihil in tempore. Laudantium sit praesentium dolores aliquam. Rerum distinctio officiis corporis autem iusto a blanditiis. Consequatur ut atque ducimus voluptatibus aut. Consequatur aperiam atque saepe quis ipsam ipsam qui hic.

Velit ut ipsum omnis dicta dolores quidem sequi iusto. Reiciendis quia soluta ab mollitia. Velit ea aut quibusdam nobis voluptatibus et.

Excepturi voluptatum nihil non. Assumenda ea accusamus voluptatem consequatur quidem porro quae. Quidem rerum impedit ut quia vel perferendis ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”