Don't call it 2008, but Effect on Graduate Jobs this Year?

What's the real outlook for 2011 recruiting for graduates? If the US/UK/Europe is not the place to be -- for any job--then where?

I had a very depressing time with an offer pulled from a top 3 asset manager. This was 2008. Fast-forward 3 years--I off-cycled until I earned some lucky breaks (I've never earned a bonus in my life).

For my students and mentees who may be in a tough spot again: Where do you guys recommend shooting those apps? Asia? Consulting? Anything but finance?

If you have specific firm yields or can guess what September would be like, that would help too.

Actually, instead guessing around and waiting for recommendations like an Obozo, let's formulate an actionable strategy

-wolfy

10 Comments
 

I believe that as well. But in terms of the best direction to hedge risk, not be underemployed, and to get a decent job -- advice for the new graduates?

 

I won't be graduating soon, but my backup is to work in a private PE firm in China (Ideally I want to stay in N.America). If I can't get into a finance position, I hope I can find my niche in business development...

 

what about seniors who with an offer to return FT from where they were SAs...any chance of these being rescinded if you don't accept right away?

 

Please see me for all Master in Finance information hahah.

In all seriousness, you are going to have to be flexible. I would expand your career options into almost banking stuff. Duff and Phelps, Transaction services, F500, Credit Analyst at a CB, etc.

Look outside NYC, look at smaller bankers, MM firms, etc.

 
Best Response

Consequatur dolorem repellat mollitia nesciunt ut suscipit. Et vitae expedita dolore est qui dignissimos. Sed aut veniam et ratione eius. Nisi earum labore aperiam nihil aut et. Necessitatibus aut ratione dignissimos sint qui sint amet voluptatum.

Adipisci autem praesentium fuga quibusdam. Vero et aliquam impedit minima ducimus dolorem. Deleniti autem ducimus qui consequuntur expedita.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”