When should Freshman(CO 2026) start applying for 2024 internships? Are they only for diversity or open to all?

I am a freshman at a non-target, but competitive academic LAC. Think Trinity, Union, Skidmore, Bates, and Denison-level academics. The career office says we have about 10 hires a year in IB for reference. I know I need to network to get interviews in general, being that I do not go to a strict target. I have a consulting/data analytics internship for a boutique consulting firm in the spring, a PWM internship in the summer, and 3.9 GPA as an ECON  major. 

A-Is doing the PWM and consulting stuff good to make me competitive?

B-When should I start applying to these 2024 internships? Keep in mind I would not qualify for any diversity.

Just trying to understand how I should go about this.

Thanks.

Most Helpful

I’m an intern so I only know so much.

But you’re in a good spot, I went to a non-target also, just keep your grades up while you are doing your spring internship.

Network your butt off, it’s never too early to start developing relationships with alumni from your school or anyone you can find a unique connection with.

It would be pretty hard to land an internship at a big bank your sophomore summer without networking pretty hard (but it can be done).

Either way best thing you can do is keep climbing the ladder so you can secure an internship at a BB or too Boutique going into your senior year. Hope this helps.

not sure if youre referencing junior year recruiting (which is what the WSO forums are about) or sophomore year internship. assume it's the latter, because you are obviously not eligible for the current junior summer recruiting cycle with all the brand name banks. for sophomore summer, some of the competitive internships open up in late summer / early fall. would not worry about jobs at all. best thing you can do is start getting into a consistent habit of technical preparation. you will be at a significant disadvantage from your no-name liberal art college (i recognize they're academically okay, but I've literally only heard of one of the schools you mentioned) especially as you compete against the finance adn accounting double majors who literally study IB technicals in-and-out of school. TLDR: use time/energy/focus towards learning IB and technicals rather than worrying about jobs... ramp that up next fall and if you use this time to prepare for IB then you'll be able to be leagues above of your peers to land a competitive sophomore summer internship

Not in IB, but these schools have a lot of rich kids whose parents probably work in banking/ pe. I would say theres an alumni prescience since my friends at my target all have boarding school and private school friends that go these places. Search alumni through linked and start reaching out now just to gain a mentor. They might not be at BBs though.

What are examples of these competitive internships for sophomores?

Necessitatibus nemo placeat voluptas totam. Vitae voluptas et porro eius provident possimus. Modi iste sed aut quos incidunt earum. Ex cumque quo sit tempora.

Sint sunt totam quis ut quae aspernatur in velit. Rerum quaerat necessitatibus quam ipsa earum. Rerum non beatae excepturi fugiat. Exercitationem provident eligendi in repellat nam molestiae. Fuga officiis recusandae eaque rem esse mollitia voluptatem. Enim eligendi nemo tempora hic modi. Ut quisquam et et molestiae ut asperiores excepturi.

Doloremque ad maiores itaque illum animi accusamus aspernatur enim. Nulla cumque optio repudiandae. Est sapiente veniam aut et.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”