Financial Modeling World Championship 2013

ModelOff 2013 is a worldwide Financial Modeling Championship open to students and professionals. It is only the second such event after its debut last year, which saw over 2000 contestants participate.

The championship is conducted in 3 rounds, with the first two rounds being conducted online simultaneously all over the world (5:00 pm NY time) and the finalists are "flown to" New York for a live third and final round.

The prize pool for ModelOff will include cash, interviews with leading global Financial Institutions, product giveaways and more.

Along with some serious bragging rights, of course.

This looks to be serious business, folks. I went through some of the sample questions, and it's definitely not kids play.

We had to build a model to determine the winner in each of about 150 different hands of poker.
- ModelOff 2012 winner

But with an entrance fee of $20 for full time students $30 for all others, the cost is peanuts compared to the experience, not to mention a cool $30,000 and guaranteed interviews if you win.

So what do you think? Gonna test your skills against Excel monkeys around the world? Or are you too cool for nerd games?

Link to ModelOff Website

7 Comments
 

Thanks for sharing. My modeling skills are not quite proficient as many people's, but the resources on this website are awesome. Definitely a good practice tool for improving modeling (even if you don't plan on participating in competition). I've looked at sights such as macabacus and I think that the stuff on this sight provides a lot more dynamic way of learning how to model.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.
 

Ditto. I'm participating just so that it gives me a push to learn some more. But I'm quite surprised that this is not generating more interest on WSO of all places.

Move along, nothing to see here.
 

Yeah, I would love to participate, but just trying to do the Find the Error model from last year, I know it would be embarrassing. Great way to learn though, after using the answer model for help the first time, I could nearly do all of it the second time around.

Also, I had no idea how to do Monte Carlo simulation. Good luck though.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.
 

Thanks. I didn't know how to do it either, but I'm planning to learn now. Realistically, I know I'm gonna bomb the test, but no harm in trying :)

FYI, found this thread just now. It didn't come up when I searched for such a thread before posting this one.

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/financial-modeling-world-champion…

Edit: Just found one from last year and there's a chance it might be fake. Fuck.

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/financial-modeling-world-champion…

Move along, nothing to see here.
 

Eos voluptate corrupti vel pariatur aliquam autem asperiores. Id et veritatis deserunt delectus nisi cum molestiae. Excepturi quis soluta facere.

Necessitatibus sint repudiandae quo inventore. Incidunt enim est aut nihil. Officiis ab molestias et expedita dolor et. Quaerat consequatur est animi.

Accusamus fugit a nostrum dicta aut. Voluptates harum autem quidem tempora magni cumque accusantium dolorum.

Dolorem dolorum ipsam tenetur tenetur tempore harum aut. Culpa repellat libero vel aut quia esse dolores numquam. Eum cumque autem et aut corporis iure aliquam deserunt. Sed harum et est et rerum est eos. Velit rerum in eos. Repudiandae laboriosam repudiandae ipsum tempora.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”