Finding Someone in 2026: Lost Cause?

I'll be honest, I've not particularly prioritized the whole finding someone part of life just out of nature of always having something to focus on, be it university studies, CFA preparation, or the work. And I think anyone who comes from South Asia (or other immigrant backgrounds) also understands that there are certain cultural expectations that really limit opportunities. 

With that said, I'm approaching the second act and have decided to prioritize this part of life, but with apps being what they are, and societal norms being what they are, I have a genuine question for the room: Where do you go to meet someone you may want to strike up a romantic relationship with? 

The former generation used to go to bars, clubs, then the generation just before mine had some success with apps, and social clubs (run club, sports, rock climbing, etc.), but post-COVID, I've not heard of anything outside of mutual friends, school, or work. As I work in an industry with the average of "I have grandkids", have been out of school for some time, and there are only so many opportunities among mutual friends, I'm unsure what avenue to consider. 

I'm pragmatic at heart, I may just try some dating service for the convenience of it; I also find that approaching someone for conversation has become increasingly rare which limits organic connections or opportunities. 

Now, I'm aware this whole piece reads like a sociopath's guide to finding someone; I've been advised my apporach can be a tad clinical. So if anyone's found a better way at things, I'm all ears. 

10 Comments
 

You still have to do things. You have to get off the internet and have hobbies out of the house. 

It doesn't matter if the hobby in question is "cool." It doesn't matter if the hobby is the gym, or golf, or having dinner at restaurant bars and talking to the other single diners, or going to concerts, or a book club, or playing rec sports, or buying manga in a nerd shop, or going to bars, or even studying in-person for that CFA of yours. 

Mutual interests immediately give you things in common and if you are good or accomplished at whatever the hobbies are, competence is sexy. 

Commercial Real Estate Developer
 

Based on the most helpful WSO content, finding someone in 2026 is far from a lost cause, but it does require a strategic and proactive approach. Here are some actionable insights:

  1. Expand Your Social Circles:

    • Mutual friends remain a strong avenue. If your current circle feels limited, consider expanding it by attending events, joining hobby groups, or participating in activities where introductions are natural.
    • Examples include wine tastings, yoga classes, gyms, or volunteering events. These environments foster organic connections and shared interests.
  2. Leverage Dating Apps Wisely:

    • While apps can feel transactional, platforms like Bumble or Hinge are often recommended over Tinder for those seeking meaningful connections.
    • Be intentional with your profile—highlight your interests and values to attract like-minded individuals.
  3. Focus on Serendipity:

    • Spend time in places where you're likely to meet people with similar values or interests. For example, church groups, professional networking events, or even niche meetups (e.g., book clubs, running clubs).
    • Avoid relying solely on bars or clubs, as they may not align with your goals.
  4. Consider Professional Matchmaking Services:

    • If convenience and efficiency are priorities, a reputable matchmaking service could be a pragmatic solution. These services often cater to professionals with limited time.
  5. Be Open to Organic Opportunities:

    • While approaching someone for conversation may feel rare, it’s still effective. Practice striking up casual conversations in everyday settings—coffee shops, parks, or even during commutes.
  6. Mindset Shift:

    • Romantic relationships are as much about timing and effort as they are about compatibility. Treat this as a long-term investment rather than a short-term goal.
    • Stay open-minded and patient, as the process may take time.

Remember, the key is to balance pragmatism with authenticity. By putting yourself out there in environments that align with your values and interests, you'll increase your chances of meeting someone compatible.

Sources: Selfish Ask for Help in Situation, Have not dated in 3 years, 30 year old Male - Q&A, IB Dating, IB Dating

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.
 

Yes, because that's where you try to find a future wife...

"If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion
 

Qui minima labore voluptatem eum nemo blanditiis rerum. Quis dolor fugit et saepe fugiat. Qui quia ut est autem. Voluptas voluptatem nulla ea nesciunt sed molestias reiciendis.

Illum quibusdam aut harum sed voluptatem laudantium non. Id sint occaecati soluta eum qui sit sunt. Voluptatem et aliquid ab itaque sed quisquam ullam. Suscipit ducimus illo vel aliquid repudiandae. Cum voluptatem cum similique sint voluptatem ipsa et.

Aut illum odit omnis. Aut aspernatur et repellat incidunt enim neque non vero. Praesentium tempora harum alias recusandae consequatur iure. Voluptas voluptas autem unde ut. Voluptatem placeat expedita rem neque in. Quidem inventore aut voluptas provident exercitationem et at. Iusto aperiam et eum animi et.

"If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”