Where will the big money be made during the 2020's?

Where do you see finance's biggest "white spaces" in this era? 

Let's assume your goal is to become a billionaire in financial services, to put it simply.

Let's also assume tomorrow you're given $25 Million dollars carte blanche, as well as a healthy rolodex, to assist you on your journey toward this goal.  

Obviously, this journey will require your visionary entrepreneurship as a prerequisite but beyond that, you now have to choose between various sub-industries:

Investment Banking 

Private Equity 

Private Credit

Secondaries

Real Estate

Venture Capital 

Hedge Fund

Fintech 

Crypto / NFTs / Defi

Family Offices / Wealth Management 

Which would choose and why?

Bonus if you list the pros and cons of each...

Do you view certain fields (PE) as overcrowded and on the decline...why or why not?

44 Comments
 
Funniest

Onlyfans.

In the 2020s you are either producing such content, managing a platform of such content, or consuming the content.   You decide where you fall.

Personally I've been pretending to be a college girl and have been doing dick reviews on onlyfans.  Guys send me a dick pic, I send back a rating/review, they give me 100 bucks.

I can basically get through about 20 a day between IB downtime in between comments.  Its easily over 300k a year in side hustle cash.   Really just a volume thing too(how many dick pics can I blow through this weekend...)

Plus once you've seen the number of dicks I have you have basically seen them all.  Reviews at this point are like autopilot for me.

 

-

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee
 

Career success = specialization x market demand - competition

Just for shits and gigs though, if I had 25 mm dropped in my lap and the goal was to become a billionaire by end of life I’d probably follow a regimen along the lines of:

1.) Immediately put 10 mm away into wealth management team of choice.

Next, I’d spend some time and a few hundred thousand traveling the world and observing. Along those travels I’d try to meet as many highly influential people I could that are working to solve a world class problem.

Once I’ve decided on the problem area to pursue, I’d try to create a fund with the people I’ve met and their networks as to pledge my remaining 15 mm in pursuit of solving this problem.

But Friedman that’s so risky!! How can you put up more than 50% of your wealth in one area? Because that’s the only way you turn 25 mm into a Billion. Plus, it’d be a super rewarding career pursuit and you’d have 10 mm compounding that you can slowly distribute from at modest US living standards.

 
orthogonal

Agriculture & Water.

do you have any public stocks for this? American Water ($AWK) is something I've found for water and intend to hold for a long time, but was curious if you had anything else (including for agriculture).

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.
 

Provident rem ducimus consequatur asperiores sint. Nulla beatae maiores rerum fugiat voluptates vero et molestiae.

 

Aut voluptas vitae dicta sed dolores provident. Et quasi repudiandae ullam et ea pariatur ut et. Et assumenda et distinctio voluptate eum. Sed quam dolores provident. Enim quisquam et asperiores quaerat sit et perspiciatis. Omnis fuga sunt doloribus.

At aliquam esse explicabo aspernatur similique reiciendis voluptatum. Eius corrupti ea rerum dolorem blanditiis. Recusandae ab enim esse. Voluptas omnis accusamus dolor praesentium et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 03 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
6
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”