Where will the big money be made during the 2020's?

Where do you see finance's biggest "white spaces" in this era? 

Let's assume your goal is to become a billionaire in financial services, to put it simply.

Let's also assume tomorrow you're given $25 Million dollars carte blanche, as well as a healthy rolodex, to assist you on your journey toward this goal.  

Obviously, this journey will require your visionary entrepreneurship as a prerequisite but beyond that, you now have to choose between various sub-industries:

Investment Banking 

Private Equity 

Private Credit

Secondaries

Real Estate

Venture Capital 

Hedge Fund

Fintech 

Crypto / NFTs / Defi

Family Offices / Wealth Management 

Which would choose and why?

Bonus if you list the pros and cons of each...

Do you view certain fields (PE) as overcrowded and on the decline...why or why not?

Comments (44)

Funniest
3mo
calvincoolridge, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Onlyfans.

In the 2020s you are either producing such content, managing a platform of such content, or consuming the content.   You decide where you fall.

Personally I've been pretending to be a college girl and have been doing dick reviews on onlyfans.  Guys send me a dick pic, I send back a rating/review, they give me 100 bucks.

I can basically get through about 20 a day between IB downtime in between comments.  Its easily over 300k a year in side hustle cash.   Really just a volume thing too(how many dick pics can I blow through this weekend...)

Plus once you've seen the number of dicks I have you have basically seen them all.  Reviews at this point are like autopilot for me.

Array
Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Most Helpful
3mo
SparkieBoom, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Secondaries babyyyy

Array

3mo
SparkieBoom, what's your opinion? Comment below:

What do you mean by that? Could you please explain? Thanks!

Array

3mo
Isaiah_53_5 💎🙌💎🙌💎, what's your opinion? Comment below:

-

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

3mo
Friedmaneconomics, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Career success = specialization x market demand - competition

Just for shits and gigs though, if I had 25 mm dropped in my lap and the goal was to become a billionaire by end of life I'd probably follow a regimen along the lines of:

1.) Immediately put 10 mm away into wealth management team of choice.

Next, I'd spend some time and a few hundred thousand traveling the world and observing. Along those travels I'd try to meet as many highly influential people I could that are working to solve a world class problem.

Once I've decided on the problem area to pursue, I'd try to create a fund with the people I've met and their networks as to pledge my remaining 15 mm in pursuit of solving this problem.

But Friedman that's so risky!! How can you put up more than 50% of your wealth in one area? Because that's the only way you turn 25 mm into a Billion. Plus, it'd be a super rewarding career pursuit and you'd have 10 mm compounding that you can slowly distribute from at modest US living standards.

3mo
lourencogoncalves, what's your opinion? Comment below:

"Pretty much VC money demands immediate profitability over future growth"

This isn't true. The whole reason why so many startups are laying off 10-20+% of their employees right now is because VCs (especially in 2020 and 2021) prioritized growth over profitability (often without giving the latter any thought). 

3mo
Pierogi Equities, what's your opinion? Comment below:
orthogonal

Agriculture & Water.

do you have any public stocks for this? American Water ($AWK) is something I've found for water and intend to hold for a long time, but was curious if you had anything else (including for agriculture).

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

3mo
Purple9988, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Secondaries by far. Evercore PCA VP1s clearing a million with per employee revenue totally ~3 million.

The GP and LP split helps navigate both up and down cycles. 

3mo
1776, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Dolorem vero quasi qui fugit consequatur molestiae aperiam. Aut consequatur sed cum placeat fugit sit quod. Omnis laudantium quia omnis ab. Ipsam magni et ex. Consequuntur odio earum voluptatem non est nam.

Sit sunt sunt repellat veniam explicabo quis. Et aperiam officia provident at. Aliquid debitis aut qui exercitationem.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

December 2022 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company (▲08) 99.6%
  • Lincoln International (= =) 99.3%
  • Financial Technology Partners (+ +) 98.9%
  • Evercore (▽01) 98.5%
  • Bank of America Merrill Lynch (▲01) 98.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

December 2022 Investment Banking

• PJT Partners (= =) 99.6%
  • Evercore (▲02) 99.3%