Thoughts on PSG Equity / Providence Strategic Growth (2022)

Anyone have any recent knowledge on PSG Equity (especially at the associate level)? Last year, they raised a $4.5b fund and it sounds like their returns have been very strong. They seem very similar to Audax in terms of AUM and strategy.

Any insight on how they compare to other growth shops (Lead Edge, Spectrum, Guidepost, Great Hill). Hours/culture/reputation/comp/anything else

Most Helpful

Worked with these guys before and have friends there, honestly not the biggest fan.

They’re DNA is in the sourcing engine / roll ups. They have a huge sourcing team and get some interesting companies, and then just crank out bolt-ons for scale. Basically just cobble together these huge software businesses that don’t always make a ton of sense - see ___ “brands” companies that are just a bunch of random things cobbled together.

They’ve had some success doing this (and a few massive exits), but I think the market is wising up that these aren’t always so great. It worked well last year when any tech company with growth could sell, but know for a fact they’ve ran a few busted processes this year where they’ve tried to sell an asset that everyone can tell is an un-integrated mess that is basically a holding company.

My personal thesis is they’ve grown fund size a ton and this has been an easy way to keep deploying capital and raise new funds, but it’ll be interesting how returns fare as they try to unload some of these hairier assets.

It’s also a huge team for the fund size, probably bigger than any comparable growth funds. The promotion cycle is long and slow (think it’s something like 3-4 years associate and then another few years as a senior associate) and pay is well below street.

The advantage is they have a solid brand (and certainly benefit from the Providence legacy name). Sourcing is a separate function so if you’re on the investment side, you don’t need to do any sourcing (though this can be both a blessing and a curse if you want to lateral to another growth shop that expects sourcing from everyone). Because of the deal velocity, the investment team here gets absolutely cranked, and you’re basically always in deal sprint because the sourcing team deals with the “setup” portion of a deal, but you’ll probably close more deals here than almost anywhere else.

So all in all I’d say plenty of growth shops I’d rather be at, though the brand is solid so you can certainly do worse as well.

Itaque voluptates aliquid odio quod. Neque sed eligendi vero hic nihil minima. Sunt est amet aut sed consequatur reiciendis suscipit magni. Cum aut voluptas et dolorum est architecto. Repudiandae sunt rerum corrupti iusto inventore. Aut provident qui quos et est. Amet in quas aspernatur ea aspernatur ullam aperiam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”