Vista Equity Analyst 2020 Program

Anyone still in the process with the 2020 analyst interview process? I know Covid-19 has had an impact on the timelines, and wondering if anyone here has heard back yet regarding final rounds?

Controversial

Did you really just say going to one of the few MF PE shops out of UG is not good preparation for PE? You do realize you are already in PE.... & to the main point the analysts are in fact deep in the models, though obviously when you are doing multi-billion take private transactions it is not a simple, couple tab model that is done by one person. This is the big leagues bud - its analysts/associates/their investment bankers (used Goldman for their most recent IPO) that are cranking these things out on any given deal. Back when I was going through recruiting these private equity analyst classes weren't really a thing but from what I've heard these are the coveted positions coming out of HYP now and will likely continue as PE firms look to develop in house talent as the industry matures

All three are top shops and you will definitely do hardcore modelling at all. From what I've seen, they take tippy top kids.

PE programs are starting to seriously recruit analysts/summer analysts with full intent to train them internally.

Blackstone and Ares both are doing pretty hardcore summer analyst programs right now, but KKR is only doing full time recruiting I believe, with their full time analyst program only starting to roll out en masse this year.

Justification? I don’t know much about vista but it seems like they recruit from lesser schools and give their juniors a rather lackluster training experience from what I am reading here.

From what I've heard vista is as close to a meritocracy as you can get (outside of Bridgewater lol) & with that comes a certain degree of intensity from a culture/recruiting perspective. Everyone who recruits with them takes two IQ tests to level the playing field across backgrounds/schools. If they wanted to fill their analyst classes exclusively with HYP who interned at bulge brackets, no doubt they could. Lesser name schools sure, but look at each persons actual page, the ones that aren't HYP are mostly Valedictorians/36 ACT/ Phi Beta Kappa/goldman/jpm. They don't appear to be blinded by "conventional success" such as undergrad when hiring & clearly somethings working.

You clearly either got dinged in the interview process or work at a competitor, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about "Analyst 1 in Other" lol

Funniest

You are evidently trying to mislead people - just look at the WSO interview data and you will see. The most recent listed the interview process as extremely difficult and said "They had multiple first rounds then there was an in-person interview that started with an LBO analysis and ended with a presentation of your findings". But sure, maybe you did not know an LBO requires accounting?

Most Helpful

I interviewed with and received an offer for the VEP analyst role. There is a massive amount of misinformation is this thread. There are many other specifically about, or mentioning, VEP on this forum that have answers to questions in here. Your job in PE is to uncover something unique about a company for a competitive advantage. What better practice than to prepare for interviews.

1) Analyst pedigree - Vista has analyst intakes from two routes: experienced hires, and campus hires. Your campus hires are pretty typical. You will see guys who were super pedigreed. Some have gone A2A.

You will also see guys who had non-traditional backgrounds (e.g., private debt, consulting, institutional sales, etc.) and then went in at the analyst level. Vista has a very unique screening system heavily based on a test that screens for attributes that you use to filter people that would be a good fit at Vista.

2) Nature of the analyst work. Vista is a B2B SaaS shop. As an analyst, you learn B2B SaaS non-GAAP modeling. I have written about this ad infinitum on this forum, and over the past year and a half specifically, it has been covered extensively. You will be doing cohort retention analysis, customer roll forward/back size analyses, you will be doing market sizing, you will effectively be doing everything but model. You slowly get model responsibilities over time (just like in any apprenticeship style role...) as you show you are capable. This is in direct contrast to typically Associate hires, who are almost always bankers with experience similar to GS TMT (someone who knows their salt in software modeling).

3) The culture seems fine. I know some guys who like it. It's hard at times, because they are constantly doing bolt-ons (literally constantly, it clogs up my newsletters) so you are seeing LOTS of reps. You should probably know about the virtuous cycle software M&A of borrowing against more revenue post-acquisition, bolstered by the fact that, in the words of Robert Smith himself, B2B SaaS contracts are better than first lien debt (as a quick aside, I have been waiting for the first recession to see if this is true; turns out, it is - people are quicker to default on their loans than get rid of the software you need to keep the lights on at your business). There are plenty of bad apples at VEP (just like other places) and that has been covered in another thread.

4) There are questions in the WSO database that I got in my interview, so shell out some clams and study up. Lots of questions are around understanding the software market, different "hot" areas, maturity of different relevant industries, etc. I talked about NLP, for example, but a perfectly good answer would have been frontier AI, etc. I get the sense that people with true passion for software are the ones that get the offers. It's pretty hard to fake it if you don't get turned on by B2B SaaS.

5) You will be sufficiently coveted by other MF shops if you recruit on-cycle as a VEP Analyst

6) Comp is lower than street. It's a slap in the face. But you get to work for VEP, so, tradeoffs.

As someone who also received an offer, I think your answers are mostly correct but want to add some color:

1. Pedigree of those direct from campus is not really that different from those who lateral from non-traditional backgrounds. There's the extra Yale kid here or there, but to say there's a meaningful difference is not correct.

2. Yes, this sounds correct. The work is more research-style, and you don't touch financial modeling for your first two years.

3. Agreed.

4. Agreed. The interview process is shockingly unrigorous. You are asked no accounting or finance questions. If you spend literally 30 minutes learning basic terms on tech investing like SaaS and recurring revenue, you know enough for the knowledge or "technical" component.

5. Somewhat true, but you are at a substantial disadvantage in the recruiting process, having never modeled. You'll be far behind your peers from BB/EB firms in this regard, and it's a huge piece to be missing in the interview process. Churn/cohort/etc analysis that you run non-stop as an analyst is fine, but it's easy enough to teach a high schooler and it's childish compared to the actual financial models built by those in IB.

6. Agreed.

85k base + 60-80k performance bonus. Source: I’ve seen an offer letter. That’s for first year analyst, not sure how it progresses but i assume they pay on par with the other MFs. Offices are SF/Chicago/Austin so any differences are probably cost of living adjusted

Anyone hear back about the Experienced Hire Analyst Super Day from yesterday? Are offers out?

Do they take analysts for the other Vista teams? I see from their website they have a pretty large consulting group, a hedge fund, a credit arm, and a capital markets team. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

Im interning at a top bank this summer (GS/PJT/MS/JPM) but in a non-tech group. Recently got really interested in tech/software PE so I am looking to recruit Vista 2021 for full time but I am worried I might be overlooked given I won't be in the TMT group this summer (or have any displayed interest in tech really). How best can I signal my interest in tech given my scenario?

I similarly participated in the major PE processes. My take away from vista was that they seemed less concerned with a candidates ability to memorize and regurgitate the m&I 400 or other technicals but rather were focused on IQ, I.e. how smart someone actually is. They'll teach you what you need to know on the job they just want to find the smartest and hardest working people, hence they have candidates do two IQ tests during the process. I found a lot of "conventionally smart" people (target --> top bb internship) were weeded out once they were quantitatively compared to other candidates who come from a different background. Very interesting, & probably stems from Smith's mandate of promoting diversity & not being tunnel visioned into taking people who all look the same/come from the same background / etc.

Iste dignissimos aperiam voluptatibus rerum est consequuntur omnis. Facere ad et officiis sit asperiores amet quia.

Earum non voluptas aut et est aliquid. Aut delectus optio voluptatum tenetur accusantium quis. Et minima sunt necessitatibus dolores quod quo reiciendis.

Non sequi optio eos at. Provident alias ratione rerum quae assumenda quo et.

Praesentium doloremque voluptas iste eum cumque qui. Similique eligendi deserunt vitae voluptas. Tenetur aliquid minima ut consequatur debitis et odit. Ea labore voluptas reiciendis ducimus mollitia sit doloremque velit.

Doloremque esse eos ipsa deserunt harum. Consequatur quia ab in quidem eos soluta est qui. Pariatur et facere eaque repellat.

Repellendus repudiandae porro dolores at voluptatem nihil omnis. Fugit aspernatur magni officiis dolores. Voluptatibus reiciendis porro voluptatum asperiores. Ut a necessitatibus rem omnis. Quibusdam est esse vel et labore est et.

Atque et distinctio corporis sed. Necessitatibus et fugit natus aut temporibus fugit. Totam quo officia voluptatibus repudiandae voluptate. Sed explicabo est fuga a. Recusandae voluptas rem harum molestias et non molestiae doloribus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”