who is richer? MF PE or F100 CEO

I was playing around with some public co data in excel and was shocked to find the 100th largest publicly listed company in the US has a whopping ~80 billion USD market cap. However, looking through definitive proxies, it seems (only the*) CEOs (only) make ~20 million ... and how long are they in that position exactly? 5 years avg.?

If we're following the money, It appears that the average joe who is a partner at a MF UMM PE fund will see themselves with earnings that are far greater than that of your typical f100 CEO, and earn those dollars earlier as well to boot.

Am I not understanding something in this cursory analysis?

80m net worth f100 CEO vs. billion dollar net worth MF PE partner ... choice seems pretty easy to me

• want to emphasise that ONLY the CEO makes the big bucks. All the COO, CFO, SVPs make fractions of what the CEO makes (think ceo 20m vs. coo 3m or svp 1m [and they are all the same age of c.50 years old])

What UMM/MF PE partner is worth 1 billion unless they founded the firm? All the PE billionaires are founders of firms, so the relevant comparison would be founders of F100 companies -- of which they are often worth 30 billion+. 

Also, I know a guy that was C-Suite at a F500 (not CEO), and he made 15 million a year based solely on his company salary (not including other stuff)

Funniest

It appears that the average joe who is a partner at a MF UMM PE fund 

I’m just gonna leave this here—no commentary needed

This is a good point - this is why I decided to be a MF Partner instead of of a F100 CEO

It’s always non-target freshmen through juniors with absolutely no summer internship prospects asking this shit.

Worry about what you’re doing this coming summer, not whether Jamie Dimon or Stephen Schwarzman has more money.

.....well I would rather be packing 12 inches

It's not like you have a choice between either of the two, and there's a 1/1000 chance that you'll even have a shot at either

My pops is a F500 EVP and  made ~3MM for about a decade and ~5MM for the last few. He interacts with a lot of big PE guys, overall I’ve anecdotally observed they tend to spend way more and save less. Maybe since it hits in cash vs RSUs.

Also way less free time and more stress. Though if did take my dad 20 years of corporate climbing from an entry level position. 

I was playing around with some public co data in excel and was shocked to find the 20th largest Football Club in Europe is worth a whopping $2Bn. However, looking through definitive proxies, it seems (only the*) top players (only) make ~50 million ... and how long are they in that position exactly? 5-10 years avg.?

If we're following the money, It appears that the average joe who is basketball player at an NBA  team will see themselves with earnings that are far greater than that of your typical Premier League Footballer, and earn those dollars earlier as well to boot..

Am I not understanding something in this cursory analysis?

500m net worth Footballer (think Ronaldo) vs. billion dollar net worth basketball player (think Lebron James)... choice seems pretty easy to me

• want to emphasise that ONLY the top players (think Ronaldo) makes the big bucks. All the lesser ranked players make fractions of what Ronaldo makes (think Ronaldo 50m vs. Salah 15m or Jordan Henderson 5m [and they are all the same age of c.30-35 years old])

Tl;dr - WSO, should I become a basketball player instead of a footballer if I want to get rich? Seems like outside of the top players, footballers make peanuts (think $5-10MM a year)

Controversial

Lmao you know nothing about sports and it shows, but that’s ok. Both LeBron and Ronaldo have billion dollar lifetime contracts with Nike. Ronaldo is arguably the most famous individual alive, and his endorsements show it. Both hand LeBron pull in well over $100M per year.

Baseball players get the most guaranteed money at once, but top NBA players (and average players now that the cap is higher) make more on an annual basis. However, these contracts are much shorter than the longest MLB ones. NFL pay has been boosted dramatically, but this isn’t all guaranteed money.

Soccer is different - contract terms are rarely made public, however sometimes they get leaked. Look up Messi’s Barcelona contract. Dude made over $673M over 4 seasons from 2017-2021. This contract was one of many reason that Barca almost went bankrupt.

Soccer endorsements are insane. It’s not just Nike and Gatorade like North American players. Ronaldo has a massive endorsement from a fucking construction company in the Middle East. Messi has one with Saudi Arabia that is rumored to pay over $20M/year for him to be an “ambassador”. Cue the conspiracy theories of him throwing the World Cup match against them.

Lol yes I do know about sports I was trying to just fit in a comparison with OPs post. Ronaldo and lebron are v similar money wise. But the intention in my post was right - the top footballers make the most money (check any forbes list), but the average NBA players make more than the average Premier league footballers. Look at the contracts of any NBA player and compare with an average Prem player - NBA usually will come out on top. This is most likely due to NBA teams having a lot less players to pay + more money in the american market than Europe + Africa + SA + Asia. And I'm saying this as a massive european football fan.

Repudiandae molestias qui laudantium fugiat sit veritatis culpa. Consectetur et quod velit ut et laudantium nesciunt.

Mollitia voluptate fugiat rem totam ducimus. Quo dolore est quia reiciendis minima. Ab soluta quas possimus et laboriosam maiores deleniti.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”