Job Title: Analyst
YOE: 1
Asset Class: All
Hours: 55-65
Base Salary: 85,000
Bonus (%): 20-30%

Comments:

Most Helpful

I’m not saying this to make the other guy feel bad but that comp is subpar and I know for a fact he could be making $200k+ in NYC. First year analyst comp is at $150k to $200k at most major players. That’s what we’re paying our first year analyst and he confirmed his peers are making that at other shops too. This climbs to $250k to $300k with a few years of experience. I’m not at a megafund for the record.

I don’t see why people are MSing posts that say the comps listed are low. We should be encouraging higher pay. I want to get paid more and I want to work with smart and hard working people (who tend to want to get compensated for their intellect and work ethic). Let’s not lose all the talent to IB and consulting.

Firm type: repe, value-add fund

Title: Associate

YOE: 4

Asset Class: all, national

Salary: $125k

Bonus: 50-75%

Hours: 50-60 on average but evenings / weekends could be blown up

Firm Type: REPE
Job Title: VP
YOE: 9
Asset Class: Diversified
Hours: 55-65 (slightly higher when a deal is heating up)
Base Salary: 225,000
Bonus (%): ~75% - 100%+

Comments: I'm also entitled to carried interest, but that takes years to vest and is highly uncertain so I don't personally count that as part of my personal comp until I get the check. In theory it should be as impactful my bonus. I just qualified for this program, so TBD how that plays out over time. 

how does carried interest work? could you do a numerical example?

50% of the carried interest/promote goes to the "house" the other 50% is distributed to employees. As part of your comp discussion you negotiate for a portion of the 50% that goes to employees. Numbers are tough b/c the carried interest at a MF means a couple basis points can become a very significant part of your comp whereas a smaller developer or fund manager might give out 5% - 10% of the carry to a key employee. I took a stab at your request below.

$100 of total promote: $50 goes to the house, $50 is sent to the employees. You receive your ratable share of the $50 sent to employees based on how much carried interest you were allocated. If 10 employees each had a 10% stake in the employee pool, they would each receive $5. 

Firm type: REPE

Title: Associate

YOE: 4

Asset Class: all prop types & US markets

Salary: $135K

Bonus: 40% - 60%

Hours: 55 - 60 avg. but frequent 75+ w/ weekends & evenings

Jumping on this thread for advice. Currently negotiating pay for several Associate positions based out of Chicago and want to get a sense of what market comp looks like. Currently have 3 progressive YOE in CRE doing acquisitions at the same firm. The positions I am looking at are either Cap Markets, Acquisitions, or Development. Hours across all roles seem to fall within the 50-60 range.

Corrupti ab neque nam et. Sunt pariatur illum ut et consequatur vel et quas. Inventore consequatur dolores tenetur voluptatibus modi vitae. Quis facilis aut ipsam aut. Provident magni ex amet dolore et.

Explicabo ratione rerum maiores eum aut. Veritatis temporibus aut velit et dolorum itaque cupiditate. Et nihil officia culpa laudantium blanditiis quia. Est est est esse odit voluptas quisquam dolore.

Quae recusandae ut magnam. Eum aperiam ut voluptatem accusamus. Saepe ut veritatis ducimus a tempora inventore et velit.

Veritatis quisquam velit veritatis vel eos omnis. Aut assumenda tempore repellat mollitia dolorem quos quidem. Eum modi repellat dolor est voluptates natus. Illum tempora esse doloribus laudantium sint error deserunt.

Minus reprehenderit magni earum delectus. Sint ut voluptatem nihil reprehenderit. Et quo maxime animi. Mollitia architecto vitae molestiae quis. Tempore vero eum et deserunt officia. Soluta nemo quam libero id modi molestias. Laboriosam consequatur asperiores sunt officia laborum quod. Temporibus fugiat debitis aspernatur voluptate et corporis.

Explicabo veniam voluptas qui sit qui ab. Sed error dolor incidunt possimus. Repellat rerum veritatis et. Consequatur ut velit nam sunt laboriosam facere. Magnam temporibus aperiam est autem nemo molestias consequatur expedita. Aut assumenda nesciunt praesentium minus hic dolor. Odit nihil quo hic suscipit accusamus.

Et dolorum eaque doloremque saepe. Non quo eius esse corrupti tempore excepturi aut consequatur. Alias itaque similique dolores ut et et. Nisi occaecati delectus nemo. Amet voluptatem fuga natus sunt aut labore. Quisquam enim et neque vero quia molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”