Current (hiring) State of NYC RE Market Q3 2022

Hey gents-

I remember awhile back reading on a post on here that "firms are having a tough time finding quality analysts" in NYC… maybe in March of this year. Is this still the case in the current market..? I would assume yes.. I guess my question is - if your firm is active in NYC has your firm lulled any hiring since recent Fed action?

Any input on what to say for baseline comp expectations at a NYC shop right now would be appreciated as well (whether it be brokerage, dev, etc.) — I don't have prior CRE experience though..semi-important if you wanna share advice here as REPE Equity or Dev is my long-term goal

All insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks for replies in advance and hope you're all doing well

Most Helpful

Was looking before enrolling in grad school, there were a lot of analyst roles on Select Leaders or Linkedin that I went through the interview process/started and later saw the role pulled/no one taking the role per website/their Linkedin. These were mostly for acquisitions roles so it makes sense if firms are pulling back, these were with owner/developers and on the lending side. There were also firms that did make hires and/or brought on a interns instead but to give you an idea months ago there were 7-8 pages of jobs on Select Leaders in New York and today there are 2 pages. There are also many of the same openings continually being posted (posted and taken down 3-4x) so those are not real. 

Recruiters are looking for candidates (top owners/developers), but why are you taking a Dev Analyst/Assoc role rn when we could be heading into a recession and developers have no problem cutting people to save their business. You'll end up with a big name but less than a year of experience in the middle of a recession which fucks you. 

1. ...months ago there were 7-8 pages of jobs on Select Leaders in New York and today there are 2 pages. There are also many of the same openings continually being posted (posted and taken down 3-4x) so those are not real. 

2. Recruiters are looking for candidates (top owners/developers), but why are you taking a Dev Analyst/Assoc role rn when we could be heading into a recession and developers have no problem cutting people to save their business. You'll end up with a big name but less than a year of experience in the middle of a recession which fucks you. 

1. I also have noticed the decrease on Select Leaders, exactly what you speak of. Quite telling. What are you referring to when you say openings being not real? HuH? On Select Leaders there's fake job postings? If so, how do I know what's fake/isn't?! 

2. I just said Equity/Dev is my long term goal. But yes I know with current trends that an Acq/Dev role really isn't ideal as a new analyst... Do you think that I should aim for brokerage/AM roles as these would be safer to aim for to break in with current macro state?

As in roles that are posted more on Linkedin then reposted. A role that is up on Linkedin for a few weeks, you apply and then you see it another day that it's a new job posting. If there were 300 people who applied the first time you saw it a few weeks ago, they really couldn't find a candidate from that to hire? This reposting has happened 3-4x on roles over months on Linkedin, doesn't seem like a real role because they 100% should've been able to find a candidate and are most likely just posting to get resumes but not really serious about it.

Right now when things slow down firms focus on dealing with their existing portfolio so it would make sense to maybe see an Acq/AM role but the focus will be mostly on asset management. Brokerage is great, but as debt has become more expensive people are slowing down on buying/only refinancing if they have to. So everything tends to slow down, brokerage there are always opportunities for owners looking to buy/sell or refinance but as the market slows down so do those opportunities. Funds have to put out money but you can see a drop off in sales activity. You need to go to a top team to really see deal flow regardless of market conditions and even then that could be slower than usual. Everything goes in cycles.

Echoing the first poster. I have had two roles pulled in early June, one after receiving the offer (firm was not buying for a bit) and another right before receiving an offer (debt fund which is pivoting to workouts due to the market. Their model was not sustainable either way, but they worked on some interesting assets). I also got an offer which i declined at the end of July. I think around June was when I noticed that lots of firms had stopped hiring. I am sure that will change once the market picks back up. That said prior to June I was getting interviews left and right, possible fill positions due to people leaving after bonus season. 

Corrupti vel repudiandae quas repellendus qui aut. Ea ut et aliquam voluptatum. Ut ipsam corporis placeat sequi consequatur iure velit. Incidunt ut quia ad numquam eaque ex.

Adipisci iste molestiae omnis consectetur. Rerum omnis eum placeat a. Atque non eos maxime libero velit esse. Fugiat itaque dolor consequuntur consequatur eum necessitatibus vitae perferendis. In dolore omnis et temporibus nisi. Est ut asperiores tempore similique ullam quasi est.

Officiis et enim architecto. Molestiae fugit ipsum consectetur aperiam et. Delectus vel ut mollitia neque. Fuga omnis accusantium cupiditate sed.

Ut officia qui quod et est. Possimus minus quibusdam quia veniam. Veritatis laborum ut animi nostrum earum. Commodi architecto tempore beatae minima deleniti fuga minima. Assumenda enim magnam voluptatem mollitia unde.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”