Mezz/pref in 2023

Client of ours has a deal they are pursuing, about 300 units in the sunbelt for $35mm with $3mm in cap ex. They have a lender willing to do 75% of the project, but they've only raised a little over $4mm in equity. They've asked us about bringing in some pref/mezz, which they seem to think they can get for 10-12%.. Sounds crazy to me, too low. Anyone see those types of terms these days?

I believe Freddie has an affordable product that can go up to 85% which may initially qualify here but long term that program won't work with the sponsor's business plan.. So trying to think of another option 

Depends on the deal profile of course, but 10-12% for going up to 90% of the capital stack (and starting at 75%) sounds crazy to me as well. I'd think more like 14 - 16% honestly, if not with some upside participation as well given you're so high up in the stack. For 10-12% I'd be thinking a pref/mezz piece that probably only goes up to ~80% of the capital stack for a somewhat bullet proof deal

Agree that 10-12% for the 76-90% slug doesn't sound compelling in the current environment. 

There is a lot of money raised around these strategies currently and construction MF mezz was in the 10-12% context prior to the rate shock so I think people will be willing to provide that capital on quality assets.

For the deal above, I have got to imagine there is family office type money that would be willing to do $4-$5m pref/mezz at 12% (likely some cash pay & PIK). 

Associate 3 in RE - Comm

I believe Freddie has an affordable product that can go up to 85% which may initially qualify here but long term that program won't work with the sponsor's business plan.. So trying to think of another option 

Can't speak to the pref, but you're not going to find a product that gets you to that kind of LTV unless it's truly affordable housing, and not the typical sunbelt "workforce housing" which is non-premium apartments that rent at a major discount such that they're "affordable", not Affordable with a Capital A.

Or a single family home, I guess.

Pref for sure looking in the mid-teens but you could negotiate a current pay that is much more favorable. Say the business plan is to ReFi/Sell in year 3, negotiate the pref term to be 3 years with a current pay that allows the sponsor to debt cover and execute on their CapEx

I'm surprised they're getting 75% LTC on the deal, are you sure they have a term sheet. I've heard of things starting at 65% LTC and now maybe going to 50% LTC if you can get a loan even but that's for ground up development. On the pref side I've heard of 12% the lowest with 6% current minimum but that also depends on the cost of capital/what investors will want minimum. 

Impedit aspernatur at enim ut fugit. Ut sit et quos. Deleniti et perferendis modi. Minima omnis quam laborum.

Soluta unde et ut maiores libero. Exercitationem aliquam ad nisi ipsum deserunt enim voluptatem fugit. Sed aut eaque quos repellat velit omnis tempora.

Ut saepe commodi quam. Ipsa est consectetur iusto nihil.

Esse sequi eius aliquid non deserunt. Ut aliquid voluptas aliquam. Commodi harum et occaecati temporibus quaerat adipisci ullam. Amet nostrum velit quod perspiciatis accusantium omnis nostrum minus. Quia ducimus et repellendus et. Repudiandae fuga vitae est in esse.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”