*Eligibility question for SA 2025 URGENT

Hi all,

Interned at a good bank this past summer and current senior at a Midwest school, no return offer, and no offers for FT yet. Considering applying for MSF programs and had an idea but am not sure if it’s plausible. 

I was thinking that I would put on my resume that I will be graduating in December of 2025 from my undergrad school (I could just add a minor and enroll in the fall of 2025 and do this, so technically not a lie) so that I can recruit for SA 2025, and if I should land a role I would go to grad school and tell HR that I decided to do an MSF instead. 

Is this allowed? Am I crazy (probably)? Just wanted to throw this idea out there thank you for the advice. 

They do background checks prior to starting... so you might get an offer without anyone bothering you on this, but this would come up right before you start. Also it is absolutely a lie given December 2025 is literally 18 months after your actual grad date. That would be found out very quickly.

Why not just legitimately push graduation 1 semester (Dec 2024), find something for this summer, and then pound the pavement on FT recruiting? MSFs are $$$ and you can't really use them to land internships, they are more for getting an extra stab at FT.

Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it.

what I meant by the not a lie part is that I actually could push back my graduation if I added a minor and then enrolled in that semester. Sorry for the confusion. 

Do you think it’s possible to land a role at a reputable bank for this summer given that it’s late in the cycle and many have already started 2025 recruitment? 

I was considering the MSF to have access to the network for another stab at FT, If the price is right the networking capabilities may be worth it to maximize FT chances in my view. 

Most Helpful

You'd sign FT before you even step foot into the MSF. Most of the people who have success with these were pretty close the previous time and just really needed 1 more season to get lucky. The MSF / network does not do much especially given you will not even attend that school during recruiting (as I'm sure you have found, the list of MSFs is short... Vandy/Villanova are solid schools but their networks aren't going to be mindblowing vs your own networking)

I'm confused how you will push back your graduation from May 2024 to December 2025 with a minor. If you are taking long gaps, that is disingenuous. And also a waste of time - you're better off just starting work at a boutique and lateraling up than twiddling your thumbs for 18 months to *maybe* land a better role. 

2024 internships will be limited but get some boutique IB/PE and then grind into a regional boutique, LMM or even MM for FT. Even stuff like corporate banking or valuation (some of those you could even still get for FT 24). I just think waiting around for 18+ months is a bad use of time and limited chance it'll really help, it's not like you have a BB internship you are waiting for. Apply to MSF as a backup if FT goes sideways this summer, but otherwise I would just try to get a job sooner than later.

Corrupti facere voluptatem id aut eum eos. Totam et voluptatem nulla dolores hic enim architecto. Facere in voluptates doloribus velit et. Molestiae ullam nihil aspernatur quibusdam. Velit quos quo tenetur omnis distinctio aut. Iste nulla sed aut et est. Nulla quo molestiae fugiat non et ut quos cupiditate.

Voluptatem quo sit quo quasi asperiores dolore possimus. Excepturi praesentium animi enim dicta at. Dolore blanditiis voluptate repellendus vero ut consequatur. Impedit quos consequuntur ex ipsa iure id et. Occaecati voluptatem tempore at.

Reiciendis reprehenderit doloribus sit. Beatae excepturi non nostrum soluta. Voluptates dolorum quam quos.

Doloribus aspernatur saepe sed et odio consequatur ipsum mollitia. Et impedit numquam corporis expedita. Officia sunt sunt et quibusdam quia omnis et. Perspiciatis iste dolores quod quae recusandae ex nulla.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”