Analysis Group - Analyst, Los Angeles, CA
Associated Bank - Project Finance Analyst (Power & Utilities), Chicago, IL
Navigant Consulting - Analyst, New York, NY
Deloitte - Valuation Associate, San Jose, CA
RetailNext - Analyst, San Jose, CA
Rothstein & Kass - Analyst, Los Angeles, CA

Best Response
KKS:

What are the resumes like from the students who placed at top shops (e.g. BAML, Lazard, Moelis)?

The student who placed at BAML had spent the previous summer at UBS IBD in NY; the student who placed at Moelis interned there for the summer as well; the student that placed at Lazard interned at TCW the previous summer on their corporate high yield desk.

The internships were secured via CMC and were key in the recruiting process.

I will say most students with any relevant finance internships the summer prior to the program were interviewed by at least one BB. A few made it far with HL Restructuring and one with Qatalyst. (The student who placed at Cowen had also interned there the previous summer and secured this via CMC career services).

Keep in mind that not all students are interested in investment banking. Quite a few focused on investment management or consulting.

The non-IB placement includes Relational Investors ($6 billion activist hedge fund), Bill Gates Investments (the Gates family office a.k.a. Cascade Investments), Alger ($19 billion investment manager), Analysis Group (top non-strategy/economic consulting firm), Partnership Capital Growth (growth equity/start-up consulting formed by former Bain employees) etc.

Most students who put the time in also secured interviews at Bain and BCG (two made final rounds) and one will be working in Wells Fargo's Leveraged Finance Group in Charlotte which is one of their better banking groups IMO.

All-in-all the exposure was there for all students.

Wow, this makes CMC the top MSF, in my humble opinion. I wish other programs would help their students land internships before the program starts. I know Vanderbilt claims to do this, but certainly not to this extent (well, not even at all according to the students I spoke with).

How is CMC viewed in general at IBs? Is it on par with Berkley and UCLA?

KKS:

Wow, this makes CMC the top MSF, in my humble opinion. I wish other programs would help their students land internships before the program starts. I know Vanderbilt claims to do this, but certainly not to this extent (well, not even at all according to the students I spoke with).

How is CMC viewed in general at IBs? Is it on par with Berkley and UCLA?

I agree that helping to secure internships is the one thing these MSFs are lacking and I'm sure will be the next thing the top ones tackle. I know Duke offers some short internships before their summers start and heard about Vandy's but never really looked into it. It is tough to call it a criticism of the program since it isn't necessarily their responsibility but it certainly seems it'd be in both parties best interests and will certainly be a recommendation that I offer.

CMC is one of the best programs, but the issue is that it is perennially very small and ultra selective. Since the school really isn't about graduate business programs and doesn't truly need the MSF program for its core mission there isn't a push to have more students. Since the 2013 class has what seems to be an extra dozen students, with a large amount being Chinese, we shall see if these stats can continue.

Do you think CMC will still be able to get this kind of placement with an increase in class size? Also, as a CMC undergrad do you know if you are allowed to do some form of dual enrollment into the program? If so, does this hurt the program or have no effect?

Kwyte:

Do you think CMC will still be able to get this kind of placement with an increase in class size? Also, as a CMC undergrad do you know if you are allowed to do some form of dual enrollment into the program? If so, does this hurt the program or have no effect?

There are a few undergrad CMC students I believe who are selected to participate in the program and complete both a bachelors and a masters degree in four years. I wouldn't think that would have any substantial effect as you still have to apply to do it, but it's possible I guess

http://www.cmc.edu/rdschool/academic/dual/ba_ma_programs.php

Kwyte:

So full disclosure, the program had difficulty placing the Chinese/International students (though the student from Europe was placed at Relational) and will be likely looking to reduce its take from that pool of applicants. I think mainly the reason for this was how reliant CMC is on its network for placement. Given the relative homogeneity at CMC, potential employers were hesitant to move beyond the familiar (plus the cost of visas is a deterrent at-the-margin). Most of the international students had interviews at BB, but the career team can only get your foot in the door and direct you to the right people...the rest is really up to you.

Also, the program is likely going to reduce its size from ~40 down to ~20 (with 15 CMC undergraduates doing BA/MA program). This decision was made after numerous interviews with current/former students as well as faculty. In my opinion, having just gone through the program the size reduction will really benefit students who choose to attend.

I'm going to write something up for TNA when I get a chance this week.

Feel free to shoot questions.

cakepie:

So the program is going to be reduced to only ~5 non CMC students?

No, sorry I wrote that wrong. From ~40 to 30-35 with 15-20 non-CMC and 15 CMC. This is downward from a previous expectation of ~50 total in 2014.

Quaerat corrupti nostrum unde sed dolore cum delectus. Magni explicabo aut nam dolores dolorem.

Dolorum corrupti et et corporis fugit. Exercitationem tempore magnam tenetur rem consequatur voluptatum ab. Voluptatem ipsa voluptatem blanditiis similique. Aut quis voluptatem at sed eveniet.

Qui in aut placeat voluptatem et voluptate aperiam et. Reiciendis quia ut ea ut. Aperiam enim omnis deserunt cum omnis sequi quas.

Eaque laudantium sunt voluptatem odio. Nesciunt dolor velit labore laudantium ipsam molestiae. Mollitia eligendi blanditiis quaerat quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”