strato22:
100k for a first year?! How could any first year possibly warrant that kind of base, unless your not getting a bonus. You must have made it rain this summer.

Honestly I have no idea how they are willing to pay that much. I about choked when I was given the figure I was that shocked. All I can say is it really pays to have someone thats willing to go to bat for you. Develop those relationships as early as you can.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

trade4size:
strato22:
100k for a first year?! How could any first year possibly warrant that kind of base, unless your not getting a bonus. You must have made it rain this summer.

Honestly I have no idea how they are willing to pay that much. I about choked when I was given the figure I was that shocked. All I can say is it really pays to have someone thats willing to go to bat for you. Develop those relationships as early as you can.

Im assuming this is your offer? Was there any talk about bonus?

trade4size:
strato22:

I guess that's much easier to do at a boutique (and an added benefit). There's no way I can convince the compensation committee at my BB to throw that kind of money my way.

Yes there is a bonus. I didnt go that in depth and still only have a few details. I am being offered to help form a desk with some senior guys that I know very well. This is all very informal and clearly not the norm.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

Citadel and a lot of other hedge funds will not be paying bonuses for a while. Considering they are down significantly (Citadel down 30%), they have to make back their investors money before they pay out bonuses. This is called a watermark. Furthermore, there is even talk of a few going from 20/2 to 10/1, at least temporarily, to keep the investors from pulling their money. In this market, I would take an offer at a respectable market-making firm way ahead of an offer at a hedge fund (with a few notable exceptions).

Best Response
cunninglinguists:
Citadel and a lot of other hedge funds will not be paying bonuses for a while. Considering they are down significantly (Citadel down 30%), they have to make back their investors money before they pay out bonuses. This is called a watermark. Furthermore, there is even talk of a few going from 20/2 to 10/1, at least temporarily, to keep the investors from pulling their money. In this market, I would take an offer at a respectable market-making firm way ahead of an offer at a hedge fund (with a few notable exceptions).

their first year bonus buckets were 40/60/100 last year, like you aptly stated, I also doubt that this will be the case going forward...I know that their watermark problem is solved -- i think they are going to restructure their kensington/wellington funds, then reset the watermarks...I know they are moving to a different approach (they used to be one big-ass fof...but I think they are splitting it up now?).

Both, but im not sure how that fits in with the legalities. I really dont want to say more as this is a public forum. Posted this mostly because I wanted to show others that "bigger isnt always better".

The starting salary was raised to 70k for MER S&T? Was this for people outside the summer program? Summer hires were offered 60k/12.5k, were some notified that the salary was being bumped?

Aliquid necessitatibus et quis repellendus ab nemo. Sint qui atque ut ipsa reprehenderit asperiores id. Sit quae et vel omnis vitae qui. Consequuntur laudantium aliquid nulla eos ut impedit ut.

Vitae perferendis quia aut nam ad nisi. Reprehenderit voluptatem illo rerum. Eos similique tenetur facilis amet. Veniam explicabo ea eveniet alias autem. Nostrum rerum sunt occaecati sunt velit porro aspernatur vero. Iusto ex placeat non atque. Est rerum autem quae.

Nulla quo provident quia iste porro et. Magni aliquam minima eveniet soluta. Delectus dolorum et est sunt.

Voluptate dolorem explicabo incidunt voluptates dolorum ea. Iste autem libero quia ut cumque aut et.

Esse libero earum voluptatum quae possimus. Facilis laborum qui molestias voluptatibus. Animi non expedita ratione a laborum. Ea molestiae minima minima atque. Odio saepe error nam fuga voluptas.

Enim esse ut ut rerum consequuntur consequuntur voluptas. Ex quaerat ab sit accusamus. Dolor maxime corporis illo consectetur qui iste voluptatem. Culpa quisquam temporibus vitae quos distinctio facilis mollitia voluptas. Accusamus voluptatem praesentium explicabo rerum. Possimus vel aut illo esse praesentium voluptatem voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”