2011 Macro Startegy

Although solid jobs numbers have been coming out, the government is literally printing money! Fed policy will be discussed on March 15, and it is inevitable the republican majority will be pushing hard to stop further government QE spending, and stimulus spending and a raising of interest rates. Companies are in good shape, but I dont think the amazing 2010 Q4 profits are sustainable as the Gov pulls back and comidity prices sky rocket . Therefore I am feeling bearish on the market for the rest of 2011. What do you guys think?

The shit's really going to hit the fan when the Fed finally figures out they can't keep stimulating without causing serious inflation. Ironically, the country will collectively shit itself when the price of replacing cotton Fruit of the Looms jumps 20 percent over the summer.

Studiofan:
I am not 100% confident the the 10% correction, but if I was I would buy Calls on SPXY (300% short on SP500) and sell putts on the calls. it is about a 30X leverage if you do the math.

The problems with shorts is that it's a timing issue. The market tends to go up a little bit at a time with periodic crashes that are short downward spikes. Even if you're right about the crash and are off by a week you're sort of screwed. I think a better strategy is to right put spreads on defensive positions like US treasuries or similar.

monkeysama:
Studiofan:
I am not 100% confident the the 10% correction, but if I was I would buy Calls on SPXY (300% short on SP500) and sell putts on the calls. it is about a 30X leverage if you do the math.

The problems with shorts is that it's a timing issue. The market tends to go up a little bit at a time with periodic crashes that are short downward spikes. Even if you're right about the crash and are off by a week you're sort of screwed. I think a better strategy is to right put spreads on defensive positions like US treasuries or similar.

That is true thats why I would only buy long term (Ie 8 months +) and appologize I meant SPXU.

I'm anticipating high oil prices hobbling an otherwise strong global economic recovery and higher rates in the rest of the world. This would help the US economy by depreciating the dollar (good for our exports). Slightly lower equity markets in US to do higher oil prices. Interest rates rising slowly but very cautiously--Bernake doesn't want to repeat the mistakes of the Fed in the Great Depression.

I don't think we'll have much inflation aside from what oil prices might do. Even if we do it will be like gasp 4-5% which comparatively either to the rest of the world or to US economic history is a joke. Economists have long known about inflation bias--an irrational fear of inflation. Hence the commodities bubbles we see now: many people buy them as a "play on inflation".

I like to hold positions for 3 months to a year +

I have Dec '11 $1.50 - $2.00 cotton bull call spreads + selling front month options to pay for spreads and ease the tension of volatility (hedge funds will continue rolling contracts forcing the Dec contract to explode in value)

Covered calls in the Australian and Canadian dollar futures (They have abundance of commodities with little political turmoil)

Long bull call spreads in June '11 Gasoline/Rbob $2.65-2.75 & $2.90-$3.00 (seasonality trade, I do it every year)

Just my two cents.....

Please don't make me talk to you like an asshole...

Bravo:
I like to hold positions for 3 months to a year +

I have Dec '11 $1.50 - $2.00 cotton bull call spreads + selling front month options to pay for spreads and ease the tension of volatility (hedge funds will continue rolling contracts forcing the Dec contract to explode in value)

Covered calls in the Australian and Canadian dollar futures (They have abundance of commodities with little political turmoil)

Long bull call spreads in June '11 Gasoline/Rbob $2.65-2.75 & $2.90-$3.00 (seasonality trade, I do it every year)

Just my two cents.....

Very sound analysis here, would you care to go a little more indepth on the play your are making on cotton. I would give you a SB if I had one, so please accept this virtual pat on the back

Best Response

@ Studio, thanx

Well shorts at this moment have a gun to their head because they are stuck. The thought of rolling contracts for shorts is completely out of question because they will suffer a HUGE lose because of the following contract month trading at a major deficit. At the same time they actually can not deliver their shorts because the exchange has already committed/sold all the cotton on hand. I expect the July contract to go down in flames because that is the last opportunity for shorts to exit the market. Hedge funds will simple roll their longs into December because they know shorts are stuck. All of this panic is causing cotton to make limit moves in either direction but notice how it is constantly going higher. Shorts are forced to buy out at whatever price they can and longs are ONLY selling @ high prices. So i'm selling options to shorts who need options to reduce the lost their taking with futures. What is even better for me the premium I'm collecting for being a seller is paying for the call spreads I bought. I bought Dec cotton in Jan when it was at .97 cents for $800 per spread. Cotton is $500 per penny. You do the math on the return if Dec cotton is at $2.01 on expiration in November.

I believe we will make new highs(even with these current pull backs) in all commodities due to the fact that inflation isn't stopped over night. The thought of economic recovery is a joke in my eyes, we are actually lagging, not gaining steam in growth. Through my research I personally see at least a decade more to go in this commodity bull market. JR spoke of super cycles(constant explosions to the upside) which will plateau, given his 10-15 year range. That doesn't mean we will stop after that figure... just slow down. As long as America is being outpaced in economic growth(which we have, hence him being long the past 12 yrs), in my honest opinion you should be long commodities, you would be a fool not to. Short term there is too much volatility, that is why I choose to hold positions.

Ps - I'm not saying short term trading strategies that capture profit through volatility isn't a great idea in futures, but it just doesn't fit my trading style.

Bravo, bravo. Hah. I totally agree with you here man. There is no way that the economy is actually recovering and I even doubt that this current run up we're in is even sustainable. Funny enough, I was just listening to your boy Jimmy and he was saying the exact same things you did:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/L7nEjyoF8uU

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people Jeremy

Whoa guys, the economy has definitely been recovering over the past two years. About as anemically as humanly possible and in complete disconnect with the market that has been distorted by QE2 and ZIRP, but the economy has still been recovering. We're adding jobs again and economic activity has rebounded beyond the shadow of a doubt. Yes, unemployment is still very high and housing is a basket case but we are in a recovery. A fragile one, that stuff like higher oil prices and sovereign debt crises could derail. The current environment definitely looks like a slowdown but that was to be expected. None of that dampens the long-term outlook on commodities though. I think Bravo is absolutely correct in that EM markets are going to drive demand to vertiginous heights.

Excellent radio clip Jorge....

@ GoodBread

What do you think will cause for America to be able to sustain it's current "recovery" as well as INCREASE GDP? I am not attempting to bash your views/create an argument or anything in those regards. I would just like to hear your honest analyst of how you think we will move forward. I'm interested....

If we manage to avoid a serious risk-off situation wherein the world pours back into the dollar, the USD should stay weak, possibly break through its trendline on the downside if the inflationistas of this world are to be believed. That's pretty bullish for exports, especially considering the rate hikes going on in China and Europe. Manufacturing is one of the sectors contributing the most to NFP numbers right now and that trend could continue. Inflation will start to become a concern, but by being the last to raise rates and having the weakest inflation numbers so far, we could pull through better than most.

In the case of a serious dislocation (oil, Europe...) the dollar and Treasuries will probably gain and we'll have the benefit of low yields to absorb these shocks much better than Europe or emerging markets. GDP wouldn't really be doing much in this scenario, but the rest of the world would probably be doing a whole lot worse.

Cum natus et ea velit quo. Dolor a voluptates corporis dolores sed id. Hic aspernatur suscipit aut est quia dicta. Suscipit accusantium quia officia nihil et ea quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”