2019 Target School Ranking for NYC Recruit?

Just curious what people's thought on the topic are for undergrad/MBA entry-level positions for IB.

**Starting off the list for hard target:**
- all Ivy League schools
- MIT
- Stanford
- Duke
- top liberals (Amherst/Williams/Swarthmore)
- UMich Ross
- UVa
- NYU Stern

I understand schools like Berkeley/USC/UCLA/UChicago/UT Austin/Rice are heavy targets regionally but does that transfer over to recruit for NYC? Or is that what "semi-target" refers to?

EDIT:
- Georgetown

Brown University student here- I wouldn't include us as a top target. Brown, and I would say Cornell and maybe Dartmouth as well, are not recruited by all banks and are definitely not true universal targets. For example, Brown does really well at MS, GS, and PWP but it's been years since we've sent kids to Evercore or JPM. Thus by definition, we are absolutely a semi-target. Ivy league != target all the time. Stanford/MIT absolutely place better than Cornell/Brown.

There's definitely some of those kids, but there's still a good number of people interested in banking/finance. Maybe less than some schools, but the population definitely exists.

Also, we send a lot of people to top banks for non-banking and/or diversity, so if you look up Brown students at GS on LinkedIn, you will see a bunch of summer analysts, but many of those are diversity kids working in HR/compliance/etc. I guess Brown's focus on humanities is good preparation for non-banking careers, but kids are smart so they go work at top banks doing other things.

Not him, but Brown does fine with recruiting and the perception that we aren't strong in that respect definitely stems from an overall lack of interest from the student body. Brown students as a whole are more likely to not consider IB. Couple that with our somewhat small undergrad population, and it's easy to see why we don't send hundreds of people into BBs every year. But we've still got a strong network, and the ones who want it don't have too much trouble breaking in.

I'm sorry but what? This is just completely wrong. Current student here at Brown, and there are 2 going to Evercore this year and several going to JPM IBD and S&T as well.

Centerview, Perella, BAML, MS, GS, Leerink, PJ Solomon, Barclays, all come on campus for infosessions/interviews with a couple buyside shops coming as well (Insight, AQR, etc...), and Guggenheim, Lazard, PJT, JPM, CS holding resume drops. We have maybe 30 kids recruiting for banking every year, and literally everyone I know who recruited has placed. Brown doesn't get every single bank out there, but we also only have like 30 kids recruiting every year and everyone places so it's not too difficult.

Also not sure where you're getting that Dartmouth is not recruited by banks and isn't a universal target either, have a few friends there and literally every single bank goes on campus there (would probably say it's second only to HYPW).

Dude wtf are you talking about I go to brown and we send a damn good number of people into IB every year, especially for our size. The other guy mentioned a good number of shops and even the ones that don't come to campus have some alumni representation. If you go here, put in the work, and aren't socially inept, you'll end up in IB.

Lol UT-A is only a target for texas, i see only 1-2 per SA class across BB, georgetown a target for NYC. Chicago and Cal are not nyc targets at all

are Swarthmore (especially), Amherst and Williams actually in the same league as the others recruiting wise? Ik they are great schools but is OCR that strong?

notre dame is not a target, semi-target at best, georgetown is a target

Most Helpful

Target: Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Northwestern, NYU, Georgetown, Duke, Stanford, Michigan, Virginia, UNC, U-Chicago, UC-Berkeley

Semi: USC, UCLA, UT-Austin, Emory, Rice, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Washington University, Indiana, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Illinois, Notre Dame

Top LAC are not "Targets" but have Target-like chances.

MIT/Caltech/Carnegie Mellon aren't worth putting into either category but candidates can become "Targets" if they get the right experience/exposure. Gets harder from Rice/JHU.

Agreed- top LAC might not have OCR, although some do, but they have developed alumni connections that give top students from the school good chances every year

The list I made is for NYC. UNC is on par with USC/UT-Austin if we consider other locations(still beats UCLA), but the school has historically very strong recruiting ties and OCR for NYC, even beating UC-Berkeley.

Prospective Monkey in Investment Banking - <span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/deals/mergers-acquisitions-ma>Mergers and Acquisitions</a></span> :
Target: Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Northwestern, NYU, Georgetown, Duke, Stanford, Michigan, Virginia, UNC, U-Chicago, UC-Berkeley

Semi: USC, UCLA, UT-Austin, Emory, Rice, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Washington University, Indiana, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Illinois, Notre Dame

Top LAC are not "Targets" but have Target-like chances.

MIT/Caltech/Carnegie Mellon aren't worth putting into either category but candidates can become "Targets" if they get the right experience/exposure. Gets harder from Rice/JHU.

Array

Cornell and Dartmouth have super underrated placement on the street, especially Cornell, they kill it. But you need to look at ease and amount of kids applying and getting in. Like if you go to any top 15 elite school and want to do IB, you will get into IB. But you cannot compare Cornell to Princeton where while Princeton is a better school, Cornell has stronger placement because more kids are interested.

Good points but wouldn't call either underrated. Dartmouth is literally the typical finance-bro stereotype school. Wharton is the typical finance-hardo stereotype school.

Cornell benefits from having a massive student body, but the trade off is that recruitment can get commoditized and cuttthroat.

Dartmouth>Cornell for someone focused on finance, especially for buyside. Just one example, but Bridgewater recruits UG from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and...Dartmouth.

Are you kidding me? Not OP but UNC is much more of a target than either of those two for NYC especially. I attended a midwestern target(not indiana), work in NYC IBD, and see many more UNC grads than I do Vandy and ND combined. Chicago(used to work here)? ND does amazing there while UNC flops. But tons of UNC guys across the street, especially at the MD level and above. Vandy's sending more and more but UNC has a much more well established reputation over time. This is just for undergrad, but I know UNC MBAs working here as well. Honestly never interacted with a Vandy or ND MBA.

If anything is wrong with the listing, it's that UC-Berkeley kids don't tend to want NYC. Other than that best I've seen on the site. One improvement could be adding a "supertarget" tier, which would be ~5 powerhouses.

As a recent Gabelli grad, I know kids in both, though i’d say IB is more popular. Searching LinkedIn is a good way to see what jobs grads at each school are able to get. Gabelli has really boosted its recruiting over the last decade so you’ll find recent grads in S&T and IB at most Bulge Bracket Banks in NYC. Overall, Stern is undoubtedly more competitive (i’d argue Stern is only behind Wharton for UG) but Gabelli places similarly to other Semi-targets listed for NYC. Additionally, you should be able to secure a pretty large scholarship if you're considering all the schools listed in this thread.

Incidunt temporibus eaque et iste eius. Voluptatem minima animi voluptate est. Non occaecati mollitia velit. Eaque quod omnis ea est odit quaerat. Quaerat qui aut vitae.

Non cumque aut enim est distinctio ut quo. Debitis ab officiis nisi praesentium dolor. Et ea itaque veritatis omnis aliquam. Tempore corrupti autem aliquid sed odio iste. Modi non est ea tempore ut optio quisquam.

Incidunt tempore libero ipsa asperiores. Nemo consequatur voluptas laboriosam eveniet laborum maiores.

Repellat deleniti aspernatur voluptas perferendis. Consequuntur perspiciatis et et cum ea. Qui ad eveniet laudantium quia. Sint magni omnis asperiores dolor quo et ut nobis. Eum et ut molestias occaecati nobis ut.

Incidunt reiciendis et temporibus velit ut dolor. Sed fuga maxime vel quia aut ducimus. Non asperiores voluptatem quibusdam corrupti. Iusto expedita non facere.

Voluptatem neque quia provident doloremque. Ut doloremque autem ut repellat et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”