Applying for those laid off in 2008?

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a weird situation and I'm wondering how others in my position have or are dealing with it. I was hired as a S & T analyst at a BB in 2007. I worked there for a year, and although I survived the layoffs, I had to take an extended leave of absence for some personal (family) stuff that I absolutely had to go home for. It took much longer than expected, and after 12 months of being away the let me go (company policy). All the family stuff is behind me now and I'm ready to get back to work. But now I'm in an awkward situation: I have one year of experience (and 3-4 months of that was training). I'm starting to look at advertised positions on company websites, etc. and most are looking for people with at least 2 years experience - there's not too many positions for a "2nd year analyst" because most companies don't want to touch someone leaving a firm after only one year, and I haven't really fully developed transferable skills. On the other hand, I can't apply to entry-level analyst positions because I've been out of school for two years.

So I'm in a similar situation as analysts who were laid off during the financial crisis in 2008, after one year of work. The job market seems to be a little bit better than back then, so I'm wondering if there are others in a position like mine (or who have been in a position like mine). How do you market yourself, and what kinds of jobs do you apply for?

Thanks,
Luke

My firm is taking people from 08 because of lay-offs/offers reversed . I get email alerts for IB job postings, and lately (last month or so) I've seen at least 2-3 positions in Europe looking for people with 6m-1.5 yrs of experience. Maybe something to look into.

"Cowards die a thousand deaths, but the brave only one," Bill Shakespeare

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

Most firms I've been talking to wont even accept '09 graduates anymore. Probably just their way of keeping the applicant pool down. Or 22 years old is now, apparently, too old to enter the investment banking industry.

Schumacher:
Most firms I've been talking to wont even accept '09 graduates anymore. Probably just their way of keeping the applicant pool down. Or 22 years old is now, apparently, too old to enter the investment banking industry.

What kinds of firms have you been talking to? BB, MM, etc?

swagon:
Schumacher:

What kinds of firms have you been talking to? BB, MM, etc?

This is MM and boutiques. Not sure what the BBs are going to do but the bulk of their recruiting is SA hires and on campus interviews so...

I think it's really too bad the class of '09 has been pretty much forgotten about and left hanging.

Best Response

Good luck luke, I was in a very similar position a little while back (lost my BB S&T job). I somewhat agree with cornelius in that recruiters may not be too helpful for you, but it doesn't hurt to try them anyway - they got me interviews at some decent places. I ended up getting my new job via networking and calling all my contacts - that is probably your best bet.

You could also try banks outside of US if you can't get in with the UGs this year. Some european banks like to hire experienced analysts vs. straight out of ug. They may also do LT internships of 6-12 mos.

Vitae voluptas cupiditate corrupti totam accusantium rem. Numquam et reiciendis qui consequuntur eos odit. Unde sequi consequuntur porro.

Ut quos dolores repellat qui repellat corrupti. Itaque sint ratione aut consequatur repudiandae. Dolores ullam illo alias incidunt deleniti.

Odit voluptatibus laboriosam ratione nesciunt beatae illum. Ut a ut quidem eius eligendi incidunt possimus. Quo voluptas molestiae nulla quia ducimus vero. Hic debitis omnis ratione error temporibus recusandae. Ipsam doloremque laboriosam recusandae consequatur tempore voluptatem non.

Ea explicabo et quis omnis accusantium totam iure. Quia eaque laboriosam eos quibusdam non. Sint modi quis quibusdam. Eum voluptatum in doloremque dolores minima voluptate. Numquam ad velit molestiae accusamus sequi cum. Fuga nemo velit architecto non nostrum et vero.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”