BAML SA 2020 guide fellow BB interns

BofA being first in the queue started their virtual SA today (15th June) while the others mostly start on 6th July.

Can BAML interns keep giving inputs on how their WFH internships are functioning/evolving over time? Will be much helpful for us interns at other BBs to get an idea to be better prepared for our summer roles. Thank you so much!

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (102)

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 15, 2020 - 9:26pm

NY IBD

3 weeks training
-first week mostly bank culture
-second week mostly accounting
-third week mostly valuation
Speaker events and panels throughout

3 weeks in group (potentially 5 weeks - TBD)
-no live deal work (at least for my specific coverage group)
-work assignments throughout 3 weeks, not sure specifics
-interns have final presentation/project that seems like it will be the main determinant

Check ins with HR and several mentors in specific group throughout.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Jun 17, 2020 - 2:24pm

My younger peers starting in various MM banks (recent college grads) share similar timelines as well. Intern projects, from what I hear, are going to be different than my experience a few summers ago since there is a lack of personal hand holding/guidance by FT analysts/associates. Good luck to everyone out there - hope you all still learn a lot despite this barrier of learning.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020 - 8:14am

First 3 weeks = talks, culture, networking with mentors, team and buddies etc. We've got tons of projects it seems (only day 2 and we've been told of 3).

Weeks 4-8 (seems to be implied we are gonna have 8 weeks). On desk with teams. You have a manager, buddy, mentor.

They initially said that we will only have a 30 hours per week commitment before the internship but that seems like absolute bullshit. We've already been given a schedule for week 1 and its approx 50 hours, and on top of that we have projects to do with our team in our own time with seemingly no designated time throughout the day.

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 16, 2020 - 8:45am

?? Our days literally end by 6pm this week and we get out at 4 today after a 10am start lmao. including breaks and lunch we're working a total of 25 hours this week

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 17, 2020 - 5:26am

been dressing in sweats and a t shirt for the first three weeks. no face time till week 4 and on which we will then be notified of calls and such, in that case probably short and tie

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 17, 2020 - 8:23am

weekly webex video with mentor / manager
encouraged to speak anytime with team

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 17, 2020 - 1:59pm

It really isn't bad - if you have any experience in Excel you could def knock it out in under 2-3 hours alone. We have like 8 people per group and 3 weeks to do it lol

Most Helpful
  • Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 17, 2020 - 10:42pm

Shout out to all the fucking ass kissers on the activity feed page lol I've never cringed so much

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 18, 2020 - 10:55am

Essentially there's this area in the app the bank made us download where we can post stuff. There are some kids that post stupid shit like "it is absolutely surreal to be able to have the opportunity to hear the CEO speak" and "I thoroughly enjoyed the session talking about eating healthy during the internship! I can't wait to explore new food options to optimize my time this summer!" Just a bunch of kids trying to rub one off for HR

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 18, 2020 - 11:00am

ex: Thought the explanation of asset-based vs. cash flow-based lending was very interesting; I'm enjoying this refresher course on credit!

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 18, 2020 - 11:04am

I genuinely think people are trying to get to the top of the leaderboard (go into the
'more' section) by commenting the most. Absolutely insane...

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 18, 2020 - 2:11pm

THANK GOD SOMEONE MENTIONED THIS. I was afraid everyone else thought this was normal. Was kinda afraid I'm joining a bank with a bunch of weirdos

• Summer Associate in ER
Jun 18, 2020 - 4:32pm

If I was HR, I would blacklist everyone asskissing.
Well unless they were asskissing me... but that's not the point.

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 18, 2020 - 9:15pm

shout out to all the lovely interns wearing suits for every single session - even risk and compliance

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 18, 2020 - 10:00pm

OMG. THANK YOU for mentioning this! At first I thought BAML paid some interns to hype up the program coz I was like at this point this isn't even ass kissing lmao

Controversial
  • Summer Associate in IB-M&A
Jun 18, 2020 - 11:05am

Many of them are non-target kids working in Credit & Wholesale/ GTS though. Can totally understand that kids from untraditional background often try too hard.

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Jun 22, 2020 - 9:52am

He's not wrong. They blow up the feed wishing everyone a good morning and how they're so excited for the programs. If you wake up to 20 kids wanking HR and they're all in GTS/Wholesale you'd feel the same.

• Prospect in Other
Jun 18, 2020 - 11:07am

Hi guys, do you plan to catch up with your mentor/buddy/manager during Week 2-3? I don't know what to update to them ("I learned DCF and Comps this week?" I don't think they want to hear it....)

• Intern in ER
Jun 18, 2020 - 12:58pm

maybe who you talked with during the first week and what you learn about the business and culture. tell them what you want to know more and let them introduce new colleagues to you. Best luck!

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2020 - 7:19am

I'm gonna try and just keep everything candid. These people aren't stupid - they know it's about the quality of the work and not dick riding.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jun 21, 2020 - 8:54am

Someone in another BAML thread mentioned that almost all the interns would get return offers as long as they don't massively screw it up. The source is from the call of CEO with all the interns in NYC. I think it's fake, but can anyone justify this?

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Jun 21, 2020 - 8:57am

hey yes it's true. not sure what the CEO meant but he did say that unless u do something terrible we want to welcome all of you. but, I don't think that it's the same as auto offers. I think it's the same as years past where they have a high conversation rate

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 22, 2020 - 12:01pm

Lmfaooo did he actually say that? I couldn't bring myself to say no to my mentor who wanted to call during it so I completely miss it. Legendary if true

• Analyst 1 in IB - Restr
Jun 22, 2020 - 11:08pm

I don't think it's bad to do amongst interns but do NOT set it up via double Dutch man. just msg in the group me . it would look weird for the double Dutch

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

July 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (36) $363
  • Associates (209) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (120) $152
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $146
  • Intern/Summer Associate (101) $144
  • 1st Year Analyst (444) $133
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (357) $82