BAML SA 2020 guide fellow BB interns

Intern in IB - Ind

BofA being first in the queue started their virtual SA today (15th June) while the others mostly start on 6th July.

Can BAML interns keep giving inputs on how their WFH internships are functioning/evolving over time? Will be much helpful for us interns at other BBs to get an idea to be better prepared for our summer roles. Thank you so much!

Comments (102)

Jun 15, 2020

following

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 15, 2020

NY IBD

3 weeks training
-first week mostly bank culture
-second week mostly accounting
-third week mostly valuation
Speaker events and panels throughout

3 weeks in group (potentially 5 weeks - TBD)
-no live deal work (at least for my specific coverage group)
-work assignments throughout 3 weeks, not sure specifics
-interns have final presentation/project that seems like it will be the main determinant

Check ins with HR and several mentors in specific group throughout.

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Jun 15, 2020

sounds like a great summer

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020

correct for APAC as well

• Intern in S&T - Other
Jun 17, 2020

So you have not been confirmed yet whether the program will be 5 or 6 weeks?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 17, 2020

confirmed 6 weeks for IBK interns

Jun 17, 2020

My younger peers starting in various MM banks (recent college grads) share similar timelines as well. Intern projects, from what I hear, are going to be different than my experience a few summers ago since there is a lack of personal hand holding/guidance by FT analysts/associates. Good luck to everyone out there - hope you all still learn a lot despite this barrier of learning.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 29, 2020

Wdym Bank culture for week one?

Jun 16, 2020

Following. Great thread. Thanks.

• Intern in S&T - FI
Jun 16, 2020

Anybody from bofa can offer some color on what S&T internships will look like this summer?

• Prospect in S&T - Equities
Jun 16, 2020

Pretty much the same schedule as the IBD one above

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020

First 3 weeks = talks, culture, networking with mentors, team and buddies etc. We've got tons of projects it seems (only day 2 and we've been told of 3).

Weeks 4-8 (seems to be implied we are gonna have 8 weeks). On desk with teams. You have a manager, buddy, mentor.

They initially said that we will only have a 30 hours per week commitment before the internship but that seems like absolute bullshit. We've already been given a schedule for week 1 and its approx 50 hours, and on top of that we have projects to do with our team in our own time with seemingly no designated time throughout the day.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jun 16, 2020

difference betweeen buddy and mentor?

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020

One you suck their dick, the other you suck each other's dick /s

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 16, 2020

?? Our days literally end by 6pm this week and we get out at 4 today after a 10am start lmao. including breaks and lunch we're working a total of 25 hours this week

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020

LOL Maybe because you're in corporate banking? Our day started at 9am and ends at 6.00pm today, and we had a 15 minute break this morning, with no lunch break.

Jun 16, 2020

I'm at a super regional and this is exactly why we are doing!

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 17, 2020

@BAML interns - how often are you expected/supposed to have face time when you work in your divisions

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 17, 2020

been dressing in sweats and a t shirt for the first three weeks. no face time till week 4 and on which we will then be notified of calls and such, in that case probably short and tie

Jun 17, 2020

Please also put on a shirt - this isn't a bachelorrete party/hen night lol

Jun 17, 2020

little to none - only weekly catch ups with your buddy and mentor

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 17, 2020

weekly webex video with mentor / manager
encouraged to speak anytime with team

Jun 17, 2020

bump

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 17, 2020

data literacy project looking heavy af...

• Prospect in Other
Jun 17, 2020

yeah no joke

Jun 17, 2020

What sort of tasks will you have to do

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 17, 2020

It really isn't bad - if you have any experience in Excel you could def knock it out in under 2-3 hours alone. We have like 8 people per group and 3 weeks to do it lol

Jun 17, 2020

Haha, Awesome! Thanks for the update :)

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 17, 2020

what are bankers wearing? how does the dress code seem like- semi professional wear or comfortable tshirts/hoodies

• Summer Associate in IB - Ind
Jun 17, 2020

Hoodies and t-shirts is what I have seen so far.

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 17, 2020

tech uniforms

Jun 22, 2020

So as in intern you logged on wearing a hoodie? Or do people wear suits at first and then slowly transition to less formal clothes?

Most Helpful
  • Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 17, 2020

Shout out to all the fucking ass kissers on the activity feed page lol I've never cringed so much

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 17, 2020

Haha what happened

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 18, 2020

Essentially there's this area in the app the bank made us download where we can post stuff. There are some kids that post stupid shit like "it is absolutely surreal to be able to have the opportunity to hear the CEO speak" and "I thoroughly enjoyed the session talking about eating healthy during the internship! I can't wait to explore new food options to optimize my time this summer!" Just a bunch of kids trying to rub one off for HR

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 18, 2020

ex: Thought the explanation of asset-based vs. cash flow-based lending was very interesting; I'm enjoying this refresher course on credit!

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 18, 2020

I genuinely think people are trying to get to the top of the leaderboard (go into the
'more' section) by commenting the most. Absolutely insane...

• Intern in S&T - Other
Jun 18, 2020

Top 10 on leaderboard get automatic return offers!!!1

/s

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 18, 2020

THANK GOD SOMEONE MENTIONED THIS. I was afraid everyone else thought this was normal. Was kinda afraid I'm joining a bank with a bunch of weirdos

• Summer Associate in ER
Jun 18, 2020

If I was HR, I would blacklist everyone asskissing.
Well unless they were asskissing me... but that's not the point.

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 18, 2020

shout out to all the lovely interns wearing suits for every single session - even risk and compliance

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 18, 2020

OMG. THANK YOU for mentioning this! At first I thought BAML paid some interns to hype up the program coz I was like at this point this isn't even ass kissing lmao

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2020

It's honestly disgusting. People just need to chill holy

Controversial
  • Summer Associate in IB-M&A
Jun 18, 2020

Many of them are non-target kids working in Credit & Wholesale/ GTS though. Can totally understand that kids from untraditional background often try too hard.

• Prospect in IB - Treas
Jun 18, 2020

Oh shut up you discriminatory prick

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Jun 22, 2020

He's not wrong. They blow up the feed wishing everyone a good morning and how they're so excited for the programs. If you wake up to 20 kids wanking HR and they're all in GTS/Wholesale you'd feel the same.

• Prospect in Other
Jun 18, 2020

Hi guys, do you plan to catch up with your mentor/buddy/manager during Week 2-3? I don't know what to update to them ("I learned DCF and Comps this week?" I don't think they want to hear it....)

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 18, 2020

lol havent gotten my mentor yet sooo....

• Intern in ER
Jun 18, 2020

maybe who you talked with during the first week and what you learn about the business and culture. tell them what you want to know more and let them introduce new colleagues to you. Best luck!

• Prospect in Other
Jun 19, 2020

Thank u! That's helpful. Wish you best of luck for the internship.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2020

I'm gonna try and just keep everything candid. These people aren't stupid - they know it's about the quality of the work and not dick riding.

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 18, 2020

For those who have made contact with their mentors, what level are they?

• Intern in S&T - Other
Jun 18, 2020

My assigned one is a MD

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 18, 2020

Director

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2020

Director 3 lol. We got on really well, shame he's not on my team.

Jun 22, 2020

I have a junior mentor that's an associate and a senior mentor that's a director

• Analyst 1 in IB - Restr
Jun 22, 2020

when did your senior mentor reach out to you? was it a while ago or recently

Jun 20, 2020

Are there different levels for the financial edge training or is everyone in the same track?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2020

i think everyone in IBK is on the same program

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jun 20, 2020

next week looking pretty chill......

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jun 21, 2020

Someone in another BAML thread mentioned that almost all the interns would get return offers as long as they don't massively screw it up. The source is from the call of CEO with all the interns in NYC. I think it's fake, but can anyone justify this?

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Jun 21, 2020

hey yes it's true. not sure what the CEO meant but he did say that unless u do something terrible we want to welcome all of you. but, I don't think that it's the same as auto offers. I think it's the same as years past where they have a high conversation rate

• Prospect in 
Jun 22, 2020

deleted

Jun 22, 2020

So expect a 90% offer rate or something to the likes of that?

Array

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 22, 2020

Lmfaooo did he actually say that? I couldn't bring myself to say no to my mentor who wanted to call during it so I completely miss it. Legendary if true

Jun 22, 2020

Jun 22, 2020

How many times this guy is gonna say "Good stuff", hundreds times after the 9 days for sure

• Intern in IB - CB
Jun 22, 2020

this guys a beast don't hate

Jun 22, 2020

Just pointing it out, no hate. But hey don't forget to mention it on your BofA app

Jun 22, 2020

I actually really like the guy lol

Jun 22, 2020

Do you all think it would be very unprofessional to try and set up a poker game amongst interns in the double dutch app. I do wanna meet more interns, but online poker may not be the best way.

• Prospect in 
Jun 22, 2020

I think it'd be fine. I'd be down to play if you're in the global markets one.

• Analyst 1 in IB - Restr
Jun 22, 2020

I don't think it's bad to do amongst interns but do NOT set it up via double Dutch man. just msg in the group me . it would look weird for the double Dutch

Jun 29, 2020

bumping this shiz

Jun 30, 2020

bumpy

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 30, 2020
Comment
  • Intern in IB-M&A
Jul 1, 2020
  • Intern in IB - ECM
Jul 1, 2020
Jul 3, 2020