BB IBD Lateral Hiring / Exit Options / Office Transfers in Asia
Hi all - first of all, I would like to thank the WSO community for being a helpful resource during my recruiting process for investment banking. With WSO's help, I have been fortunate enough to secure a FT offer from a BB in Asia. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about my short-term career plans and would love to get WSO's inputs.
I will be joining a 2nd-tier BB (think Citi, UBS, Barclays, BAML) in their Hong Kong office this August as an IBD analyst. Been spending a lot of time brainstorming on whether I want to stay in banking for the long run, and if not, what I want to do after. So far, I THINK my long term interest lies within buy-side, whether it is public equities (mutual fund / hedge fund) or private equity. In addition, I have also been pondering on the possibilities of lateralling to a top-tier BB within the region at the 6-month or 1-year mark, or transferring to an US office within my bank at the 2-year mark. Despite doing some research online and talking to people within the industry, I still have a few unanswered questions and would love to get WSO's inputs / advice.
- Is PE recruiting process in Asia as structured as it is in the US?
- Does it go through headhunters? If so, which are the headhunting firms in the region that work with mega funds?
- What are the interviews like for PE recruiting? How can I best prepare?
- Are there many Hedge Fund / Mutual Fund exit opportunities within Hong Kong?
- How is the compensation for PE / HF / Mutual Funds in Hong Kong?
Lateral Hire to other BBs
- How does the process work? Should I be reaching out to peers who work in other banks, so I could be updated when there are openings?
- What are the interviews like for BB lateral hiring interviews?
- Without a US citizenship, is there a possibility for me to move to a US office within my current bank in 2 years?
- How is MBA placement from BBs or PE firms from HK offices?
- What can I do in the coming 4-5 years to best position myself for MBA application process?
Hoping to get inputs / advice from WSO members who have had relevant experiences / exposure. Thanks in advance!