Can we get a list going of sophomore summer 2019 programs/internships? (Confused)

With recruiting being pushed up and all, I feel like rising Sophomores like myself (non-diversity) are in a tricky position where I'm unsure of how and whether to pursue networking and gunning for the major sophomore summer roles at BBs/EBs/MMs that usually funnel into their junior summer programs while at the same time gunning for junior summer (2020) roles or if I should just start going for local boutique IB roles for next summer and then start networking for junior summer 2020 roles when school starts back up?

I feel like sophomore summers are almost becoming less important than something like a freshman summer with the current recruiting timeline? There's also not many clear non-diversity sophomore programs that seem to funnel into junior summers, which just makes things more confusing.

If we could at least just get a list going of possible sophomore summer (2019) places, that might help or if anyone with more insight could address some of the points above? Thanks!

I can tell you from personal experience that trying to get a sophomore BB internship as a non-diversity candidate is a HUGE waste of time. Your call though.

A sophomore summer internship is still important for the current recruiting timeline. Because no one wants to give someone an internship for a year out when they cant find an internship for their sophomore summer. I know GS analysts who suggested that you shouldn't apply to the early action application if you didn't already have a sophomore internship, because it's a huge red flag.

Agree with above, sophomore summer at BB is difficult to get even as a diversity candidate. Just too many spots filled by juniors/truly outstanding diversity sophomores with that much more classwork/work experience. I will say that applying for sophomore roles lets you practice a real HireVue or two (JPM is automatic Hirevue, some others may be as well) without it being the end of the world. Definitely recommend applying to those just for the video interview experience as that is IMO the hardest to wing.

Enjoy your last summer of freedom. Network to get connections, but don't really gun for roles for next summer (could be using your one shot with a person at the wrong time) and you should be okay looking for a MM/boutique role in the fall.

Array

Most Helpful

Most sophomore internships won't start recruiting until February-April of your sophomore spring, and usually don't require the extensive networking required by junior positions.

Unless you are a top student (>3.8) at a target (and/or diversity), landing a sophomore IB internship at a major firm will be next to impossible, like restructfin said. Right now, I would spend 60% of your time networking with regional/industry-specific boutiques for sophomore positions, and 40% on top-notch firms for junior year. Start networking NOW for junior year, and follow-up periodically with updates--aka follow the networking guides out there.

If it comes to February of next year and you haven't landed a position for sophomore summer, it sounds daunting to aggressively look for junior positions. But, people you have been networking with at the top firms for junior summer won't expect you to have anything by February, anyways. Landing a sophomore summer internship during the recruiting process is also a great pretext for reaching out to all of your contacts. Consider everything case-by-case, obviously.

I second all those that have said focus on junior year recruiting. Semi-target, got an EB offer for junior summer in NY. From my experience, it was really crucial to spend my sophomore spring focused on preparing for recruiting. I found a small boutique internship early on for the spring, so not having to worry about it in the summer was very helpful. The additional benefit of having a sophomore BB internship is extremely marginal when compared to how much networking/studying you need to stand out to get it, not worth your time. I would say reach out to fellow students who already have had those boutiques: Their referrals could streamline your sophomore internship search process. Good luck!

Quis delectus animi iure autem. Quae beatae sed minima ipsam nihil aperiam. Beatae quo hic vero sunt. Aut veniam ut qui commodi culpa. Consequatur similique sunt quia omnis.

Dicta accusantium qui natus natus nobis. Nam quasi exercitationem provident quia.

Magnam ipsa laboriosam necessitatibus voluptas alias modi. Maiores laudantium ut et sit. Perspiciatis temporibus aut tenetur officia nihil et nostrum eveniet. Sequi voluptatum et magni.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”