Credit Suisse SF 2020 Viewpoints?

Hello WSO: how strong is CS HC/Tech in SF office? Undergrad at west-coast semi-target (USC/UCLA) aiming for SA position in California and networked with this group extensively. Hard to get a good read, and would appreciate any insight. Goal is to do MF PE.

I believe tech has 1-2 heavy-hitter MDs, but as above poster mentioned most left. I've heard pretty concerning things about culture there however. SF HC team is irrelevant, not sure they even have a group still.

I'd say BAML/BARC/UBS offer better overall AN experience in SF.

Most Helpful

I would have to disagree with the above commenter saying that BAML/BARC/UBS would offer a better experience. Friend of mine from school works in the office, and while he's told me they run lean/work hard (so culture points may be true) they're still really well regarded by headhunters. The firm consistently dominates the semis space putting out a handful of $5 -10bn M&A deals every year, with a decent share of IPO and sponsor deals.

Biggest thing they have going for them though is exits. Based on what he's told me they consistently send ~3 people out of a class of 7 to top shops every year (BX, SLP, Carlyle, ONEX, Growth funds like TCV, TA, etc.), with the rest going to MM shops.

They also had some insane overtime policy for summers where they were getting paid like double their prorated salary or something.

Overall, I'd say if you get an offer for a Q, GS, MS, JPM it's a clear choice to take that, but I would still consider CS SF to be right behind the major players at least as far as exits go.

2 seconds of googling...

https://investor.marvell.com/news-releases/news-release-details/nxp-acq…

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-to-acquire-mellanox-for-6-9-b…

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/infineon-to-buy-cypress-semi-in-101b-…

My understanding is that any deal where they are "co-advising" here they are actually leading as they don't have the balance sheet to win the financing. I also work in a TMT group in SF, and having worked across from them I can say pretty confidently they're a top semis franchise. That's pretty much all they're known for though..

Funniest

Sit ipsum vero necessitatibus reprehenderit placeat. Ab temporibus ut doloremque incidunt minus ea libero.

Vitae aliquid natus est qui rerum rem. Quia vel iste quis voluptate eveniet. Sit et adipisci aut maxime qui reprehenderit.

Laudantium est vitae neque iste voluptas alias ea. Sed voluptas aut in molestiae pariatur non. Maxime asperiores sed autem et et non ipsum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”