Diversity recruiting is out of hand (10,000 internships for black students)

An article recently got published in the BBC about an initiative which provides 10,000 exclusive internships to black candidates. Is this not the epitome of inequity? I just think it's quite unfair to allow access to opportunities at firms like Evercore and Silverlake which explicitly excludes the majority of candidates while diversity pipelines are already a prominent aspect of the hiring process. 

https://www.bbc(dot)com/news/business-58428799

"The 10,000 Black Interns programme aims to place 2,000 interns per year with companies over five years."

OMG they want to employ 2,000 black kids what an injustice

Yes, but the problem is diversity pipelines are already a big part of normal recruiting outside of this program. And those 2000 spots may have gone to more qualified candidates who miss out as they don't qualify. 

Controversial

You seem to think that diversity programs make up for the years of privilege you’ve enjoyed without a second thought.

Any white male with an ounce of self awareness can appreciate that diversity programs are the least we can do. Yes, you had to grind to where you are, but you likely did so from a very comfortable starting point and within a supportive environment that at least prodded you in the direction of where you’ve ended up. 

For you to insinuate that these kids are less than or that you are the one facing discrimination (laugh out fucking loud) — I am embarrassed FOR you. At least diversity kid I’ve met has been raised to be  a respectable human being. 

"Ms Odejimi-Uzokwe was born and raised in East London with a Nigerian heritage. "We didn't have money" growing up, she said."

I'm just gonna address the elephant in the room. Every other race has received way more welfare programs so stfu when black families finally catch a fucking break 

"Justin Onuekwusi, head of retail multi-asset funds at Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM), also works to try to improve diversity and inclusion in UK businesses.

He was born in inner-city Manchester and raised as part of a single-parent family. "Growing up, times were tough," he says."

How dare he give back to his community, smh 

Don't complain if white people give back to their community then ;)

I'm so glad you said this so I can personally tell you we don't give a flying fuck about what you do

Practice what you preach and MIND YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS

The bigger problem is most of these diversity candidates are still from top universities and solid socioeconomic backgrounds. If they really wanted some true diversity they would also focus on non target Universities and upbringing

I feel like they should take the best people regardless of background (and this obviously includes less nepotism hires). Even if diversity was to be prioritised it should be done so on a socioeconomic basis rather than race or sex.  

Qui velit veritatis illum repellat sit rerum. Odio magnam nostrum nulla maiores quia. Sed aut accusantium laboriosam ipsum totam. Assumenda amet eum facilis est. Velit voluptas voluptas doloribus.

Et quibusdam et optio et sit. Vero illum vitae velit qui consequatur vel dolorum. Cum nesciunt eaque quis perspiciatis ut. Distinctio ut est dolore eaque quos assumenda doloribus provident.

Et doloribus voluptatem voluptatum consectetur ipsam voluptas. Soluta ea similique quo cumque architecto. Et eveniet nobis voluptas excepturi. Dolor ut quos eum dolorem doloribus possimus. Commodi deserunt error minima quis. Quidem sit minus corrupti repudiandae rerum inventore distinctio sint. Et quia harum consequatur architecto omnis.

Suscipit optio rerum molestiae fugit non quae qui. In in sint voluptatem id aut nam. Vero molestias non perferendis et in. Porro ea aut alias ut autem praesentium omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”