Diversity recruiting is out of hand (10,000 internships for black students)

An article recently got published in the BBC about an initiative which provides 10,000 exclusive internships to black candidates. Is this not the epitome of inequity? I just think it's quite unfair to allow access to opportunities at firms like Evercore and Silverlake which explicitly excludes the majority of candidates while diversity pipelines are already a prominent aspect of the hiring process. 

https://www.bbc(dot)com/news/business-58428799

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (67)

• Intern in IB-M&A
Sep 7, 2021 - 7:44am

"The 10,000 Black Interns programme aims to place 2,000 interns per year with companies over five years."

OMG they want to employ 2,000 black kids what an injustice

Controversial
  • VP in IB-M&A
Sep 7, 2021 - 5:23pm

You seem to think that diversity programs make up for the years of privilege you've enjoyed without a second thought.

Any white male with an ounce of self awareness can appreciate that diversity programs are the least we can do. Yes, you had to grind to where you are, but you likely did so from a very comfortable starting point and within a supportive environment that at least prodded you in the direction of where you've ended up. 

For you to insinuate that these kids are less than or that you are the one facing discrimination (laugh out fucking loud) - I am embarrassed FOR you. At least diversity kid I've met has been raised to be  a respectable human being. 

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB-M&A
Sep 7, 2021 - 7:57am

I'm just gonna address the elephant in the room. Every other race has received way more welfare programs so stfu when black families finally catch a fucking break 

• Intern in IB-M&A
Sep 7, 2021 - 7:48am

"Justin Onuekwusi, head of retail multi-asset funds at Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM), also works to try to improve diversity and inclusion in UK businesses.

He was born in inner-city Manchester and raised as part of a single-parent family. "Growing up, times were tough," he says."

How dare he give back to his community, smh 

• Intern in IB-M&A
Sep 7, 2021 - 7:59am

Don't complain if white people give back to their community then ;)

• Intern in IB-M&A
Sep 7, 2021 - 8:08am

I'm so glad you said this so I can personally tell you we don't give a flying fuck about what you do

Practice what you preach and MIND YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS

• Intern in IB - Cov
Sep 7, 2021 - 5:04pm

I thought explicit racial quotas were illegal? I guess since it's not outlining a specific number per firm, it passes. 

Sep 7, 2021 - 5:22pm

Imagine being a dark skinned, poor south asian and getting discriminated against because you are supposedly an ORM. Then compare this to a black kid thats rich and gets AA. Makes sense to me, right?

Sep 8, 2021 - 11:31am

I'm referring to catch up on their hiring of black candidates. Not catch up on having interns. My point is that there, oftentimes, were no internships before this. So rather than thinking of this as a net loss to other races, it's actually just a net gain as black candidates gain and everyone else stays the same.

• Intern in IB - Cov
Sep 8, 2021 - 10:48am

The bigger problem is most of these diversity candidates are still from top universities and solid socioeconomic backgrounds. If they really wanted some true diversity they would also focus on non target Universities and upbringing

• Analyst 1 in S&T - Equities
Sep 8, 2021 - 11:54am

Totam expedita velit eligendi ut facilis. Tempora quo et explicabo qui cumque.

Sep 8, 2021 - 12:05pm

Voluptas voluptatum harum delectus asperiores cumque sed quibusdam magni. Cupiditate eaque repellat tempora consectetur provident provident velit est. Tempora ut aliquam nihil quidem.

Tempora quod porro laboriosam et quia voluptatem. Rerum necessitatibus animi et quis sint sit. Reiciendis in distinctio unde.

Dolores qui et hic quia fugit laborum. Omnis voluptas perspiciatis pariatur alias est. Dolores reprehenderit sequi quae aperiam quae quae hic perspiciatis. Maxime consequatur harum dolorem quia ea quaerat. Ut libero incidunt distinctio et accusantium dolores quisquam reprehenderit. Molestias autem aut similique fuga.

Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

Oncycle is a fucking joke
+188PEby Analyst 2 in IB - Cov
Dating smart girls
+140OFFby Analyst 2 in Consulting
How often do you get "matches" on apps?
+134OFFby Associate 1 in AM - Other
I want to quit already…
+107IBby Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
Have you ever sued your employer?
+95PEby Principal in PE - Other