Fortune 500 Internships?

Balor's picture

I am a junior, and my goal was to land a BB IBD SA position for this summer, but I have had 2 BB superdays thus far and been rejected by both. I am starting to feel like the IBD dream isn't going to work out.

As a backup plan, do any of you have recommendations on potential Fortune 500 Finance internships that are still accepting applications? Anyone know of some good ones that frequently result in full-time offers (preferably in NYC)?

Comments (44)

Dec 16, 2013

Lol.. if this is how you fight for your "dream" it's obvious why you didn't get the offer.

Dec 16, 2013

BB or Bust lol

Dec 17, 2013

Hey, nothing wrong with a little safety net. All your eggs in one basket, etc., etc.

Dec 17, 2013

Big 4

Dec 17, 2013

2 rounds is nothing, learn from your mistakes, do more research and keep trying. You can also try a boutique or Big 4.

Dec 17, 2013

Check out the company database. I know you wont have access right away, but if you put some reviews in you can get access and check out what others experienced with same company/interview.

Best of luck

"I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's." William Blake

Dec 17, 2013

Thanks!

If anyone else has any other comments/advice I'd really appreciate it. Interview is approaching soon...

Dec 17, 2013

Fortune 100 company that jumped like 20 spots last year? It'll look good.

Is this soph or junior summer? For sophomore, it'll help with IB internships. If you're a junior, it'll help more for risk at a bank than getting a front office spot.

Dec 17, 2013

Thanks. The internship will take place the summer after my sophomore year if I get the offer.

Dec 17, 2013

Anyone else have anything to add. I tried to look into the company database on WSO but I don't have anything to contribute to unlock it. Would really appreciate any tips on what to expect for this campus interview.

Dec 17, 2013

Mostly behavioral. I didn't receive any technical questions besides a few brain teasers. what's happening in the economy if you consider that technical.

Dec 17, 2013

Definitely behavioral. In the F100 interviews I had, there were no technicals, though once I was asked what the balance sheet of a bank looked like- this is more extraordinary than the norm. Depending on the type of finance gig, you could potentially get a simple case study where you need to pinpoint where problems may originate from and potential solutions (it's similar to what consults get, but much easier).

If you personally trade, and this is on your resume, it's fair game for them to ask about the economy, what stocks you recommend and why.

Good luck!!

Dec 17, 2013

They're POC. Don't worry.

Dec 17, 2013

What is the nature of your internships?

In the best case scenario you should ask to do anything involving financial analysis, valuation, market/industry research, forecasting, competitor analysis, other data analysis as long as it is quantitatively rigorous, excel, powerpoint, etc.

Dec 17, 2013

depends on what actually you will be doing. but if you know u want to do IB then try to talk to HR to put you in a valuation/internal m&a group. if not, just try to get as much financial experience as you can by doing budgeting/forecasting/modeling. i think asking them for this type of work shouldn't be that big of a deal.
also if the company offers free courses in excel/or anything related to IBD...def sign up

Dec 17, 2013

That... that was 4 years ago

Dec 17, 2013

Nationwide, GE, Target, John Deere, and a few others have recruited OCR at my target school so far

Dec 17, 2013

Your best bet is always OCR. Recruiting season is in full swing right now.

Dec 17, 2013

How many of these programs are located in NYC? I know that some of these programs are usually located by there HQ.

Dec 17, 2013

Since i am in high school, is interning at a F500 too much?

The Four E's of investment
"The greatest Enemies of the Equity investor are Expenses and Emotions."- Warren Buffet

Dec 17, 2013

^ Can you fit it into your schedule?

If so, go for it.

Dec 17, 2013

Usually F500 have structured internship programs. From my experience, not many of them are open for freshmen to apply to. Best bet is to check through your school's career services, or try to find some of your parents' connections in F500 companies that can drop your resume off to HR. At least, that's how it was in my case. PWM is less structured that way, in the sense that you can cold call your way into an internship.

Dec 17, 2013

Did a F500 internship. As sullyman said, very structured and usually not open to freshmen. Check directly with the company's HR folks. But if you want to do IBD long term, PWM is the best place for a freshman.

Dec 17, 2013

experience is always good. and corpfin at f500 as a freshman is already ahead of your peers. especially if its a recognizable company.

additional experience would be good, so boutique ib > part-time pwm, if you could get them that is. Don't worry too much about experience just yet, youre a freshman and youre doing great already. in the end, it all depends on how you spin your story that matters. as long as your resume shows that youre set on finance or at least interested in it.

Dec 17, 2013

I'm very happy to have the internship, and it's at a fairly well known F100 company. I suppose my main concern is whether or not I should have a job more relevant to IB to be able to best answer the expected "why IB?" questions in interviews for the larger firms that I'm aiming for next summer. Is it more crucial for experiences to show a general interest in finance (i.e. this internship) or a more narrow interest in IB (i.e. picking up another internship)?

Dec 17, 2013

take whatever you can get as a freshman. This will set you up for a MM IB for sophomore summer.

Dec 17, 2013

F500 freshman summer is great..you're ahead of the game.

Dec 17, 2013

I did a pre-med research internship freshman year and still was able to spin that into "why IB?" so I think you will be okay. You already have a huge advantage going into sophomore year recruiting.

Dec 17, 2013

As a freshman, you probably couldn't get something much more relatable to IB. Relax, very easy to spin.

Dec 17, 2013

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll try to network with some IB guys during my lunch breaks (im in a financial hub) to help set me up for something next summer.

Dec 17, 2013

Everything besides sales is support wherever you go. That being said, i tend to think of finance in industry as a special type of support role because in the end, it's all about how much money you make and how you manage it. CorpDev is also a support role by the way. However, from what I've seen, these roles in industry are not viewed as negatively as the BO roles in banking and many CEO's (I think about 1/3) come from the finance ranks. If you can get a corpdev role, that would be better than planning or acccounting, which are areas that require specialized knowledge that is not that hard to master and having it does not represent a significant competitive advantage.

Dec 17, 2013

Okay thanks- Yeah I guess I really wanted to know how these roles compare to BO roles within banking and how they compare the boutique investment banking gigs.

Also, corp dev roles would be different than finance roles correct? Are there any internships (I know there are FT positions for these specific roles) in these department that anyone knows of?

Anyone else with insight? Much appreciated.

Dec 17, 2013

Corpdev roles are usually a type of finance roles. It really depends on the organization. Some firms put corpdev in treasury, others in the general finance function or in a separate function.

Dec 17, 2013

okay thanks anyone else have comments?

Dec 17, 2013
Comment
Dec 17, 2013
Comment

MKballer

Dec 17, 2013