New to WSO but have scanned the website before. Just looking for some advice on my situation. I understand the final decision will come down to me, but it doesn't hurt to bounce thoughts off other people.
I received a full-time offer for a top MM investment bank. I am super grateful for the offer and could not be happier. I just want to make sure that this is the best decision for me before I sign.
I have determined the pros and cons of IB, but the ones that stand out the most to me are the opportunities available after two years and the amount that you learn on the job. The pay is also great but that can be left unsaid. A major con for me isn't necessarily the hours, but more trying to figure out if those hours are actually worth it. Yes, you learn a lot and have more responsibility than other kids your age, but is it actually worth it and in the most efficient way? Hopefully that makes sense.
If I do banking its going to be here, but I'm trying to figure out what other opportunities actually exist out there that would be worth pursuing instead. Personally, I love following the news and current events and macro events. I enjoy following the markets and understanding how everything in the world ties together (economies, markets, governments). I still enjoyed working with companies, but definitely like a world view of things. But I don't really know what type of job would entail this? I like politics and international relations also. I could always go to law school after and pursue politics, or get a more macro perspective and try and join a fund. Either way, IB would help get there.
I guess my question is, since I'm not exactly sure what I want to do next, should I do IB anyways? Get a great experience and maybe by the end of my two years I'll know exactly what I want to do? If not, I'll still have a world of opportunity.
Or say screw it, say IB is not all what its cracked up to be, and try to pursue something else like Silicon Valley or something more macro oriented.
Posting this to see if someone has ever been in a similar situation or have some insight. Very much appreciated for any help. Should also note that I loved the summer and internship in IB, just want to make check all boxes before making the big decision.