The only real correlation between how you do on these tests is your aptitude as a standardized test taker. If you are a good test taker, that will definitely help you with the GMAT.
How Well does the SAT Predict Your GMAT Score?
Unlike what some people believe, the GMAT isn't easy and in more cases requires preparation and studying in order to get the best possible score. Our users explain the comparisons between the GMAT and the SAT below. The main take aways are that the GMAT questions are designed to be more confusing and difficult than the SAT.
You scored well on the SAT which means that you have the ability to score well on the GMAT, but it depends on a few factors:
- Did you study a ton for the SAT or not at all? And if you did study, will you put the same prep time into the GMAT?
- Do you understand the data sufficiency questions? The GMAT is the only exam that asks you data sufficiency on the quantitative section, so it trips many people up.
- Did you score well on the math portion of the SAT because of a calculator? Because if that is the case you better start practicing your mental math.
Basically, while the overall idea of the tests are similar the questions are actually fairly different. And you have to learn some of the tricks of GMAT problems.
Take a GMAT prep exam for free (through www . mba . com site) and it will at least give you a score so you have an idea of where you stand.
Keep in mind the percentiles on the GMAT quantitative section are very skewed. A 51 is 98%, while a 50 is only 93%, while in verbal a 42 is 92%. Conclusion = it takes a lot to score well on the quant section.
would still study for the GMAT. It isn't that the questions are incredibly hard, but the way they ask them and the way they want the answers are unique. It is also important to do well at the start rather than get x out of y number of questions correct.
GMAT is def harder than SAT. Not b/c the theory is harder, but b/c the test maker is deliberately trying to trick you. I recall the SAT being less malicious and more straightforward. To me, the SAT is of comparable difficulty to the GRE
If you want another indicator of how well you might do on the exam, Kaplan offers a GMAT score estimator on their website based on a short quiz.
Read More About the GMAT on WSO
- How I Got A 770 On The GMAT
- GMAT Arms Race: Stats From Top Schools
- GMAT Prep Courses, Manhattan GMAT Vs. Veritas
Decided to Pursue a Wall Street Career? Learn How to Network like a Master.
Inside the WSO Finance networking guide, you'll get a comprehensive, all-inclusive roadmap for maximizing your networking efforts (and minimizing embarrassing blunders). This info-rich book is packed with 71 pages of detailed strategies to help you get the most of your networking, including cold emailing templates, questions to ask in interviews, and action steps for success in navigating the Wall Street networking process.
Financial Modeling Course
- Get An Edge For Your Interviews & Finance Career
- The Best (and Most Affordable) Financial Modeling Self-study Courses.
- WSO Members receive a 15% discount