I am currently intern in a small boutique and I have some issue with an associate. I would like to have your opinion about his behavior and if you can tell me if it's pretty normal in the industry or not. If it's not normal, how can I deal with that guy?
The team seems happy with my work but every day I have a tight feeling in the stomach, I am really stress right now, normally I can manage the pressure but for me it's kind of too much at the moment.
I like what I am doing, I've learning a lot so far. I want to work in M&A for few years before to start my own business. M&A is for me, the best way to learn how to work fast, hard and efficiently.
Some facts / examples:
(In reality there are many more)
1) Every 30 minutes he is asking me ''what are you doing right now? When are you going to be done? Can you work faster?'' And if told him that I am going to be done in one hour but in fact i am done in 90 minutes he is going to tell me ''why did you tell me you'll be done in 1 hour? Why are you lying?''
2) Once, he was checking my work in live (I was doing some valuation on excel) and he get fucking angry because I was not using the short cut he told me something like ''what the fuck is wrong with you? why are you not using the short cut? We have a lot of work, don't waste time, understand?''
3) During the first day of my internship, the phone rang after 7 PM, then he told me ''reply, reply, quick, quick quick!!'' So I replied. The following day, the phone rang again after 7 PM, I answered and after the call he told me ''Why you answered the phone? This is not your job, we have other shit to do ok?''
4) Last week, the MD asked me to add a graph on a pitch, I had 5 minutes to do the job before he was leaving for his meeting. He told me to do something very fast and without the company template in order to be in time. Once I get back to my desk, the associate questioned me about what I was doing:
Him: ''what are you doing for the MD?''
Me: ''a graph for xxxx, he is leaving for his meeting in 10 minutes''
Him: ''what graph?''
Me: ''a graph about xxxx for xxx company''
Him: ''you can to use our company template for the graph, understand?''
Me: ''he told me to do something very fast, he is leaving now''
Him: ''you should always use the template, otherwise your work is shit, now tell me where you put your file, so I can check your work in live''
Me: ''I just started, I did not save anything right now, I need to do something very fast, please let me finish my work...''
Then, he was still asking me question about that graph!! Finally, I was late...
VP vs The Associate
5) A VP asked me to do a memorandum and he gave me some specific instructions for the template. Few hours laters, that associate asked me what I was doing (he was not involved in that deal at all), he asked me where did I save the file and then he checked my work.
Him: ''seriously, why are you not using the template?!''
Me: ''because xx (the VP) told me to do like this''
Him: ''No, you always need to use the template, understand?!!''
Him: ''what why that slide is like that xxxxxx?''
Me: ''because the VP told me to do like that''
Then that associate went to see the VP and started to blame him for not using the company template.
MD vs The Associate
6) Today, I made a mistake. I was done with a pitch. Then, the associate asked me how many pages I had. I said ''X'' but when he checked, it was ''X+1''
Him: ''why you told me that it was N?!''
(I was looking for the file at that time to see and fix my mistake by adding another slide ''comments'')
Him ''look at me when I am talking to you, what are you not looking at me?!''
(I looked at him like 2 seconds but they came back to my computer to open the file)
At that time, I saw the MD got up and came back to our desks. Then the MD said to the associate: ''Calm down! What are you doing? We are not working like that, ok?''
7) When he is talking to me, he is always angry (I also see that he was also talking like that to the secretary)
Thank you guys!
Investment Banking Interview Course
- 7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
- Technical, behavioral, networking, case videos, templates. All included.
- Most comprehensive IB interview course in the world.