Hi Everyone, posting on a throwaway account (as I routinely post in the consulting forum with my regular account and quite a few people know my identity). That being said, I want to reveal a few details about myself and seek out advice on how to position myself for a career in PE.
A little bit about myself:
- Currently a high-performing Technology Consultant for Deloitte
- 3 Years out of Undergrad (Bachelors was in Business Administration)
- Undergraduate school was non-target (average state school) with virtually no alumni presence in Wall Street. Extensively cross checked Linkedin, no one in the history of my undergrad school has gone onto any BB bank
- Consulting representation at Tier 1 is 0% - no one from my undergraduate school has gone onto working at MBB
- I was the only one from my school to join the commercial consulting division at Deloitte, with everyone else recruited directly to the federal practice
MBB to PE, and Strategy Consulting to PE has routinely been discussed in detail. I'm fully aware of the Ops opportunities available and Consultant-friendly PE shops.
I understand I face a significant uphill climb so I'm open to hearing feedback (no matter how harsh) and diligently working towards my goal in steps. My Father worked at a boutique PE firm for a few years (before taking a CFO role at one of the companies acquired by the PE shop)...This network is now closed and not an option for me and networking through my Father is also not a viable option at this time.
During the time my Father worked in the field, I got some exposure to the hours, the lifestyle, the salary, and the type of deals undertaken - and it seems a million times more interesting than a Tech implementation project.
A few options I've been seriously considering:
- Deloitte Tech Consulting (TC) -> T10 MBA -> Deloitte S&O -> PE
- Deloitte TC -> T10 MBA -> MBB -> PE
- Deloitte TC -> Deloitte S&O -> Internship Boutique/MM PE -> MBA -> Boutique/MM PE
- Deloitte TC -> Ops Role at PE portfolio company -> MBA OR Potentially landing a position with the PE firm
Please let me know - and don't tell me its impossible. I've managed to accomplish quite a few things in my life under greater odds - and overcome several adversities that would have crushed most people to pieces. When I want something - I go for it and will achieve it no matter what.
Would love to hear feedback from the PE forum.