IB Summer Associate 2021 Mega Thread

As Investment Banking Summer Associate 2021 recruiting at the target MBA programs draws to a close and interview invites approach, wanted to create this thread to share questions/ thoughts and experiences. 

To kick things off: How many banks are you still in the process with? IB Core School, T10/T20? Things that have gone well/ bad in the virtual environment? How are you preparing for interviews?

Did you get a diversity offer? For your classmates, are they also receiving diversity offers? I was under the impression most of the super days for BBs haven't happened yet...

Really curious to hear about class sizes this year from those that would know. Seems like it is down where I will be working as well as the other places I interviewed at. 

Seems pretty bad. I've seen some quality candidates from my school get passed over for decent-ish candidates...Really feel for you guys, it sucks. 

How’s headcount looking this year? I already signed, my firm says they’re going to be down quite a bit from last year’s class. Everyone seems slammed though, guessing a lot of places are going to be pretty understaffed next year. 

Any advice for the first round interview or superday? At a core school and have interviews in a few weeks. Would love to hear what you look for in candidates, being on the other side of the table 

just be a normal likable person. I know it seems easy enough but when firms tell you it isn't a good "fit" it usually means you came across the wrong way. 

and if you're coming from a non-traditional finance background know your technicals bc that's an easy way to ding you. if you're coming from finance then definitely be sure you can articulate things clearly. 

Offers at American BBs, CS and maybe Barclays will probably be down a little bit... offers outside of those banks will be down in large quantities. I know of one MBA program that recruits early and they are down at least 30% vs. this time last year... I have also heard of 3 banks that, across the 3, probably hired ~40 Summer Associates last year and are doing absolutely no MBA recruiting this year... It helps a lot to be at a core school this year.

I can only offer my experience but I am also interested in the answers to your questions. I have a feeling EBs may be down, they took less from my school this year than last. It seems offers are down pretty substantially and where I go typically everyone who wants IB gets it. We're a lower-ranked school, but not many want IB so most who are serious about it get it. Seems like that will not be the case this year. I had a few super days that I am pretty surprised I didn't convert into offers and the people I caught up with referenced class size. One of the EBs I'm very surprised about because I had some very positive (unsolicited) feedback from senior people after the super day. Along the lines of "heard you absolutely crushed it, great job." Didn't covert and heard a few references to class size this year. 

I think you're right about that, seems like the firm I am headed to is -30% YoY. I think the silver lining will be that FT should be solid come July or Aug...hoping that is the case at least if I don't like where I am at during summer.

Confirming all Stern interview invites are out - should be the same at the other core schools Wharton/Booth/CBS. # of students for recruiting for banking is down vs. last year given smaller class size but still ~80. Based on interview invite volume there does not seem to be a reduction in spots? Banks are still interviewing the same number of people in the first round as last year, with a few interviewing over 40-50 people. First rounds are first week of Jan, with superdays the week after. Given non-core school offers are out, do banks reserve a specific amount of spots for core schools?

I wouldn't judge the number of offers they are planning on extending by how many interview invites they gave out. Invite only events were larger than usual this year to begin with given the ease of sending someone a Zoom link. Everyone who I have spoken with who would know (those who play a role in the associate recruiting process) have said seats are down this year. Small sample size but that is what I have heard from the usual suspect banks. 

Any insight into the mix of questions for 1st round interviews, BB or EB?

This year, GS interviewed 59 ppl for NY office and only gave out 13 offers across all schools. They also interviewed 11 ppl for SF office and only gave out 1 offer... JPM has a maximum limit of 3 summer associates per group... seeing similar trend across all BBs

Was that only for the non-core schools that interviewed in early Dec? I know CBS/ Stern/ Booth are still interviewing 

I go to a slightly lower ranked school and it seems really bad. I got lucky enough to get an offer but there are others who seem qualified, whatever you make of that, and walked away empty. 

Most Helpful

Observed the process this year from a core school -- my observations:

• Houston offers obviously down, that shouldn't be any surprise, but most of these spots go to UT-A and Rice grads anyways, with a small handful from East Coast / Midwest business schools
  • A few banks did not recruit at all -- specific ones I am aware of are Deutsche Bank, PWP, William Blair (Chicago)
  • Banks that did recruit had roughly the same number of spots or slightly down (10-15%); this basically means groups took the same or 1 less person.  Some of the boutiques increased class size slightly, specifically PJT / CVP, but the starting point was tiny, so an increase means an additional 1-2 people only, not enough to off-set the above downsizing
  • Number of candidates recruiting for banking increased fairly significantly -- the reason for this increase is most likely due to banking being considered a "safer" recruiting strategy, that historically from T-10-15 schools is pretty fool-proof: if you put in the time and effort, you usually end up with an offer. 

Unfortunately the combination of the above factors means that a large number of students will end up with no offers for the summer -- I would imagine at lower ranked schools the issue is exacerbated even further. 

I've seen similar at my M7. Perhaps offers start to trickle in over the next week or so. One interesting thing that I want to follow is if the M7 to Top15 difference matters at all. Seems like things are down across the board but did virtual recruiting open up more for other schools or are things just that tough this year? 

To those of you with a crystal ball, what are your takes on FT for ‘22 if you don’t like where you ended up this summer? In a well regarded BB, but really not sure about the culture and overall vibe there. As of now I’d like to switch for FT rather than do 2 years there. Somewhat common? 

Pretty much wrapped up now - how did things look at your respective schools?

I'm non-core at most and we were probably around ~60%...some of the people who didn't really try or know what they were in for accounted for some of that. 

Possimus ratione quo et eligendi. Illum sit nulla quo aspernatur quidem sapiente sit. Voluptas doloremque blanditiis corporis provident deleniti iste.

Fugiat et temporibus architecto est error. Provident quis sint incidunt aut quos. Ut vel excepturi praesentium voluptatem. Consequatur dolores eos esse ea possimus aut.

Dolorem quia sed explicabo in inventore autem consequatur provident. Qui eum saepe quam temporibus praesentium aut ut.

Velit voluptas corrupti et eius commodi. Culpa reiciendis repellat voluptas earum qui voluptatem aut. Ut iure rerum ut nihil rem. Rerum molestiae laborum nesciunt autem sed facilis. Quia placeat labore voluptates sed ullam.

Inventore qui illum in eos ut eaque. Debitis facilis pariatur ex ut. Voluptatem quis deserunt et sequi recusandae. Necessitatibus laudantium quae provident sequi.

Repudiandae iusto quia voluptatem porro adipisci. Eos qui cumque sit quo ullam est. Asperiores ut non voluptas. Debitis minima facere quia. Optio iste iusto beatae est nulla voluptatem vel. Id corrupti ea et sint neque accusamus adipisci. Voluptates qui nihil animi qui et nam non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”